PDA

View Full Version : this copy of windows is not genuine

Setsoru
4th June 2011, 10:46 PM
Im stuck guys.
Bought windows 7 professional 64 bit last year for my laptop.
Apparently this shit is only an 'upgrade version'. The asian man i spoke with was laughing at me.

Anyone know where i can buy it (not for £140) imthinking around £30 haha. otherwise i gotta wipe my hdd, install vista, which is home edition, then fricken, find away to upgrade that to professional then install windows 7.

But even then my copy of vista is 32 bit and i could be screwed.
I got a windows 7 disk, just need to buy a key :(

Hutch
4th June 2011, 11:05 PM
Reading this confuses me. Are you trying to do an install on a new computer, or a reinstall on this laptop? I'd suggest looking for a student discount for a windows 7 operating system.. or sourcing an os online... for free (perhaps a linux distro or something else closer to what you're looking for *hint*)

Colonel Mitch
4th June 2011, 11:17 PM
Im stuck guys.
Bought windows 7 professional 64 bit last year for my laptop.
Apparently this shit is only an 'upgrade version'. The asian man i spoke with was laughing at me.

Anyone know where i can buy it (not for £140) imthinking around £30 haha. otherwise i gotta wipe my hdd, install vista, which is home edition, then fricken, find away to upgrade that to professional then install windows 7.

But even then my copy of vista is 32 bit and i could be screwed.
I got a windows 7 disk, just need to buy a key :(

hey set, u got me on steam?

Calneon
4th June 2011, 11:35 PM
You should be able to install an upgrade edition on a fresh install and have it activate fine. I've done it many times.

You can buy a cheap W7 upgrade edition here but I don't think you'll find a full version for that price. http://www.software4students.co.uk/Microsoft_Windows_7_Professional_64_bit_Upgrade_Ed ition-details.aspx

Setsoru
4th June 2011, 11:58 PM
Hutch
Sry should have been more clear. Fresh instal on my new desktop. Origionally bought the upgrade dvd fot my laptop(which was on vista)
Yrah im going to be dual bottin with something like archlinux or maybe fedora or ubuntu

Mitch
Ive got u down in steam as mitch i think, not online now though :(
If u dont see me my acc is setsoru0

Cal
Yeah i was lookin there but all they have are upgrades. Its just so annoying haha. I asked they call centre guy if i provided hin with both my vista and 7 product keys, could he give me a working one. He just gave me anotrr number to call.

This is like te first os i ever paid for, and its useless lol

Calneon
5th June 2011, 12:05 AM
Hutch
Sry should have been more clear. Fresh instal on my new desktop. Origionally bought the upgrade dvd fot my laptop(which was on vista)
Yrah im going to be dual bottin with something like archlinux or maybe fedora or ubuntu

Mitch
Ive got u down in steam as mitch i think, not online now though :(
If u dont see me my acc is setsoru0

Cal
Yeah i was lookin there but all they have are upgrades. Its just so annoying haha. I asked they call centre guy if i provided hin with both my vista and 7 product keys, could he give me a working one. He just gave me anotrr number to call.

This is like te first os i ever paid for, and its useless lol
When you registered it on your laptop, it probably counted it as used, so you can't put it on your desktop. Just buy another upgrade copy.

Setsoru
5th June 2011, 12:28 AM
Nah thats not the problem, u can installnit multiple times, the problem is 1 at the install, it say that the key is invalid, soni took generic one off the internet. so after it installed, i went to change the code, but it said this product key must be used on an upgrade only, hence i need the retail one :(
Ibviously cause i got the bad code online, windows picked up on it and now its all 'ungenuine' in my face :P