PDA

View Full Version : WTF Is SOPA?

Calneon
18th December 2011, 06:47 PM
Good video by TotalBiscuit explaining what SOPA is and why, if passed, it could destroy the internet as we know it. I urge you, take 20 minutes to educate yourselves on this because if passed, it will completely change the way we use the internet in the future.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JhwuXNv8fJM

Vicious Horizon
18th December 2011, 07:20 PM
Gogo Darknet.

Target
18th December 2011, 07:48 PM
So if I go on a .gov website and post a copyrighted link, they take down the .gov website...seems legit, if this gets passed people will just abuse it

people just set up new sites daily to host stuff, it will be retarded chasing them

Calneon
18th December 2011, 10:40 PM
So if I go on a .gov website and post a copyrighted link, they take down the .gov website...seems legit, if this gets passed people will just abuse it

people just set up new sites daily to host stuff, it will be retarded chasing them
Yes, it absolutely is retarded. But the thing is, the majority of the house of congress who are voting on the thing don't have a clue what it's about, they're being given money to pass it by big corporations who want to stop smaller businesses from competing with them.

Target
18th December 2011, 11:27 PM
Just thinking like its pretty b/s America can just make this decision when it affects the WORLD wide web...what if the companies move to countries that don't enforce these rules? or like 3rdie countries that don't care :s Yeh its big corps trying to stop people creating the new facebook and taking all there monies...

epic grammar is epic

Calneon
19th December 2011, 01:49 AM
Just thinking like its pretty b/s America can just make this decision when it affects the WORLD wide web...what if the companies move to countries that don't enforce these rules? or like 3rdie countries that don't care :s Yeh its big corps trying to stop people creating the new facebook and taking all there monies...

epic grammar is epic
Yeah, they can only affect sites hosted in the US, but that's most of the biggest sites on the net :(.

Vicious Horizon
19th December 2011, 06:53 PM
+ ruin businesses which reside outside of the US, as they can block the American people from accessing those websites, which is likely to be a large amount of their consumers.

Zanziba'ar
24th December 2011, 09:11 PM
I got bored after looking at the intro

Isphera
24th December 2011, 10:20 PM
You're an idiot. Educate yourself and find out why if this bill passes, the internet will cease to exist as we know it.

Zanziba'ar
25th December 2011, 01:43 AM
You're an idiot. Educate yourself and find out why if this bill passes, the internet will cease to exist as we know it.

If I wanted education I wouldn't have joined the army -_-
If this bill passes it won't effect me cause US can't take down shit. Anyone caring about yhis SOPA thing are being silly

Isphera
25th December 2011, 01:01 PM
You're a moron.

Calneon
25th December 2011, 01:33 PM
If I wanted education I wouldn't have joined the army -_-
If this bill passes it won't effect me cause US can't take down shit. Anyone caring about yhis SOPA thing are being silly
Woah... I didn't think anybody could be that ignorant.

Zanziba'ar
25th December 2011, 03:52 PM
There is ignorance then just not caring

Vicious Horizon
25th December 2011, 05:57 PM
Hey Zan, when Battleclinic + All corp killboards go down, then you'll start feeling the pain because SOPA can and probably will stop access to these sites for pictures or comments or anything they want.

As well as 80% of the other sites you go on :P

Isphera
25th December 2011, 07:35 PM
There is ignorance then just not caring

In most cases, those two are essentially the same thing....

But yeah, BattleClinic would be affected because as soon as anyone puts up a YouTube link or a picture for an avatar that copyrighted, then bang, there goes the US market. Sure, it might not be a big part of it's userbase, but it will have an effect. If it's based in the US, then bye bye BC,

Chalex4
27th December 2011, 03:06 AM
FYI all of my domains (including ATK) are being moved away from Godaddy, who supports SOPA.

If there are a few hours of downtime, it's for a good cause at least :).

ez64
27th December 2011, 02:33 PM
Not a problem thanks to tcp/ip and how the internet is built anyone can create new top level p2p domains and users join. Internet reborn until its out of the industry's reach. Thats the real web 2.0 :D

Zanziba'ar
3rd January 2012, 12:31 AM
its called ukranian dedicated server?