PDA

View Full Version : My PC couldn't handle the festivities.

Chazlene
25th December 2011, 01:07 PM
Yeah last night my PC took aaaages to turn off, and this morning it just won't turn on. I went to bed so didn't see what was on screen when I shut it down, I've tried different power cables but to no avail, plus the power supply doesn't smell so not sure if it's that that's knackered. Any suggestions? Oh and Merry Christmas you schlaaaags.

Calneon
25th December 2011, 01:34 PM
What happens when you turn it on? Does the motherboard light come on? Do the case lights come on? Does it enter BIOS?

Chazlene
25th December 2011, 01:54 PM
Nope no case or motherboard lights, no BIOS, nothing happens at all, it's completely dead.

Calneon
25th December 2011, 02:00 PM
Sounds like your PSU died. Try unplugging your graphics card and booting it again.

Kiliv
25th December 2011, 02:28 PM
is there a switch on the psu?

Chazlene
25th December 2011, 02:46 PM
Nope still doesn't work with Graphics Card unplugged, and yeah of course I've checked the PSU switch.

Colonel Mitch
25th December 2011, 07:56 PM
Lol 2 power supplies in one day maybe =[

If chris can pick me up im going over to have a look at his pc tonight.

What you could do chazle is this:

Unplug all teh connectors form your pc.

get the big ribbon 1 with 20(+4) pins on it.

Find the green cable on it.

Take a little paper clip or cable tie (anything with metal ends) and jump the green cable to any of the black cables.

you can do this just by putting the clip in the end of the 24 in connector.

Here is an example:

http://www.bobtod.com/Overclocking/Pics/PSU_Hotwire.jpg

What this does is tell the PSU you pressed the on button and that it should start up.

If the PSU turns on when you do this then its probably not a PSU problem. If it doesnt, check the fuse, then think about RMAing the PSU.

Hutch
25th December 2011, 10:07 PM
At least you've got more time to spend with your loving family Charlie :)

Chazlene
26th December 2011, 09:45 PM
Found out that it is the PSU that's knackered, so any suggestions for a replacement? Here's my spec:

http://img4.imageshack.us/img4/1765/pcconfigp.png

Calneon
26th December 2011, 11:18 PM
Corsair PSU failed?

Colonel Mitch
27th December 2011, 12:15 AM
Corsair PSU failed?

The one corsair one i bought failed too xD replaced it with a cheaper higher rated one before i31 and still works today after over 3 years of continuous being on ^^

I think kyles that dies at i40 was corsair too?

Not trying ot say theyre bad, but theyre jsut the same collection of capacitors and transofrmers as every other one :P

Mr.Big
27th December 2011, 01:41 AM
Huh, seems to be a trend going on, my PSU died also in beginning of december, got a replacement and that one died also...