PDA

View Full Version : DreamHack June 16th-19th

ez64
9th January 2012, 04:12 PM
May as well slap down a thread,

I will be driving it and booking tickets as early as possible. Ye of little faith in the range, I use it everyday and it has been serviced to no end. It's not the V8 one it's the bombproof defender diesel.

However I may rent something new and fast because road trip and because autobahn.

When I get round to searching for a vehicle or just taking mine I will post up seat spaces to anyone that wants them.

I'll create a table here with the results of the poll so people can organise booking the same flights/trains/transport.

P.S

For those of us who work The queens diamond jubilee is the first weekend of june so if you book your holidays right you could be off work for an insane amount of time for very little days taken :D

Isphera
9th January 2012, 04:34 PM
Voted convoy (w/ desktop if I can nab a seat with you Giles) and plane (w/ laptop) since those are the two I could do.

As said in shoutbox, and here for reference, this will depend on me having my exams finishing before the 15th and I won't know exactly when before March at the earliest. When I know, I will post more, but would love to do this. Also, get uniform t-shirts?

Target
9th January 2012, 04:53 PM
Would come if could get a lift in some epic auto-mobile depends on exams dates though

Kiliv
9th January 2012, 08:12 PM
I'm definitely up for this ^^ I love Sweden and I love LAN so this should be pretty awesome.

CILLIT BANG
10th January 2012, 03:17 AM
i am also up for it and will have substancial moneys lets go i wana meet athene ;)

CILLIT BANG
10th January 2012, 03:18 AM
but i think plane would be cheaper and more practical? jam the pc in a suitcase and gogogo ... na dthe enterprise would be nice instant beaming their?

CILLIT BANG
10th January 2012, 03:19 AM
and we would need the shirts ofc

Colonel Mitch
10th January 2012, 04:44 AM
If this was a road trip id almost definatley be down whit this.

Target
10th January 2012, 01:37 PM
people flying could poss put some stuff in people's cars that are driving?, Could have an atk style Top Gear race :D

ez64
10th January 2012, 01:45 PM
yes yes yes yes

Paper Tiger
10th January 2012, 04:18 PM
Depends how work goes for me. I can make a decision at a later date.

CILLIT BANG
10th January 2012, 05:29 PM
and we could both film it etc

CILLIT BANG
10th January 2012, 05:30 PM
when are tickets up?

Marshy
10th January 2012, 08:01 PM
A road trip, are you all mental in and around your faces. You're looking at like 4 full tanks and then on top of this ferrys, this will cost WAY more than it would to just get a flight O_o

Colonel Mitch
10th January 2012, 08:05 PM
A road trip, are you all mental in and around your faces. You're looking at like 4 full tanks and then on top of this ferrys, this will cost WAY more than it would to just get a flight O_o

Who said it wouldnt?

Isphera
10th January 2012, 08:13 PM

Point. You guys can take my tower, I'll just catch a flight over.

Vicious Horizon
10th January 2012, 08:17 PM
Thoughts: If I could get a car to drive my equipment I would probably fly there.

Target
10th January 2012, 08:22 PM
Ferry is for mugs, euro star or Sea cat to Amsterdam

Kiliv
10th January 2012, 09:47 PM
its more fun though marshy, also ive been looking around the dates of the journey your looking at around £ 40 for the channel tunnel and around that for two people in a car on P&O ferries. And from looking at several sites your looking at around the £220 mark for return flights

Isphera
10th January 2012, 11:40 PM
its more fun though marshy, also ive been looking around the dates of the journey your looking at around £ 40 for the channel tunnel and around that for two people in a car on P&O ferries. And from looking at several sites your looking at around the £220 mark for return flights

Still better than sitting in a cramped car for 20+ hours going, from what was being planned, on the longest detour known in human history. Plane takes about 7 1/2 hours inc. layover which can be cut down if you take an early plane. That extra time can be spent exploring the wonders of Sweden :)

Marshy
11th January 2012, 02:08 AM
British Airways had one on the 15th at like 3am return cheap like £140. I just can't imagine being in a car for like 17 hours driving time, I think it would be fun for about 5 max unless stopping off in amsterrdam were to happen i guess. If there were room and enough intrest I'd come along payin for petrol ferry etc but unless I can be convinced otherwise I'll be enjoying my onflight entertainment next to phantom and oric

CILLIT BANG
11th January 2012, 02:25 AM
Ferry is for mugs, euro star or Sea cat to Amsterdam<----- this or plane

nikoli
11th January 2012, 06:54 AM
i wanna come :D i come from Europe so i could be down with the kids ^^

ez64
11th January 2012, 09:50 AM
amsterdamn and a autobahn doesnt sound boring or sxpensive to me

Colonel Mitch
11th January 2012, 03:17 PM
amsterdamn and a autobahn doesnt sound boring or sxpensive to me
its less than 150 miles out of the way to do the nurburgring too.....

On another note I just realissed this might be when im going to florida with uni friends.

Will find out.

Joe
11th January 2012, 09:26 PM
I'm totally up for this as long as the price of fuel isn't going to be too much, but surely fuel is cheaper there anyway? I wouldn't mind having to give someone like £100ish for fuel but if it's gonna be more not sure if I can go

Colonel Mitch
11th January 2012, 09:43 PM
I'm totally up for this as long as the price of fuel isn't going to be too much, but surely fuel is cheaper there anyway? I wouldn't mind having to give someone like £100ish for fuel but if it's gonna be more not sure if I can go

Lets base this on my car. if its 2500 (rounded up) miles and we average 40 mpg (room for some fun there) thats 62.5 gallons of fuel.

Thats 284 litres.

At a price of 1.49 / liter thats £423.16 for fuel.

Split between 3 (i cant see us getting more than 3 in a car with computers too) thats £141.

BUT then we have to pay toll charges too (some of which are per person), and i would like a little towards the service cost of doing that mileage from each (about £20 each).

So it would probably easily come to £200 just for use of the car + tolls.

Then if we want to do other things like amsterdam or nurburgring that will be another £20 or so each for a few laps or hatever u want to spend in amsterdam. Then we have food / spending.

I estimate it will be between £300-400 each EXCLUDING everything at dreamhack.

But bare in mind (oric) thats not just for travel and includes all transport both ways.

BUT - the fact is giels and I will both have petrol guzzling cars by then, tho I will be running on LPG most of the time, but that would cost slightly more for my car, and probably twice as much for fuel in Giels.

Effectively if we transport computers n stuff for others if we get a contribution from them then it would be less coz at the end of the day if we took 5 people it would b alot less but we can coz of taking extra stuff.

This is also assuming that im not in Florida (which incidentally is going to cost less than this for the most part xD), which I may well be as we are going in June for 2 weeks as that is the only time we can go.

Isphera
12th January 2012, 10:52 AM

I lol'd.

Joe
12th January 2012, 01:23 PM
I lol'd.

That's funny Oric, we all lol'd when you said we're taking your tower, we will just about have enough room for our own stuff, let alone yours, gl hf getting it there on a plane in 1 piece :)

Also Piers, if we work it out to be about £400 each (inc dreamhack TICKET) then I'll probs go

EDIT: If I get another job before then I will definitely go as long as there is space for me in a car :)

Isphera
12th January 2012, 03:11 PM
If I recall correctly, I said that if there was space, I would ask you guys to take my tower and pay ~£30 each way for the favour. If it wasn't possible, I said I could take a laptop as a carry on.

Vicious Horizon
12th January 2012, 03:18 PM
I'm Oric and I'm only going to Dreamhack to see Apollo, I don't care about seeing everyone at ATK and going on a motherfucking awesome road trip ;D

Calneon
12th January 2012, 03:37 PM
Your MPG will probably be less than what you expect with 4 people and their 4 heavy computers and sleeping stuff.

Colonel Mitch
12th January 2012, 09:31 PM
That's funny Oric, we all lol'd when you said we're taking your tower, we will just about have enough room for our own stuff, let alone yours, gl hf getting it there on a plane in 1 piece :)

Also Piers, if we work it out to be about £400 each (inc dreamhack TICKET) then I'll probs go

EDIT: If I get another job before then I will definitely go as long as there is space for me in a car :)

it wont work out that cheap wiht the ticket.

And oric, how are you getting to / from each airport each time? if you consider jsut travel costs for us each im sure its about the same as you'll pay, but you wont have done anything recreational at all.

Colonel Mitch
12th January 2012, 09:31 PM
Your MPG will probably be less than what you expect with 4 people and their 4 heavy computers and sleeping stuff.
I realised this which is part f the reason i reduced it to 40mpg.

I would normally do about 53 with 2 people and stuff.

40 allows more stuff and some ragging..... althought i cam loking at a signinficantly less efficient car very soon.

Im looking at an audi RS6 most likely right now. 19mpg but on lpg will do teh equivalent of about 40, so would probably come to about 30mpg with the calculations in the above post.

Isphera
12th January 2012, 10:16 PM
...but you wont have done anything recreational at all.

Yes, because getting to Dreamhack relaxed, having not argued for 20 hours witth the people I'm sat in close proximity to and not dying of having something poking me in the side for 20 hours is really bad for you and exploring Sweden and it's many fine bars and people the night before you all get there with Marshy and (potentially) Cal isn't recreation...

I'm Oric and I'm only going to Dreamhack to see Apollo, I don't care about seeing everyone at ATK and going on a motherfucking awesome road trip ;D

The passive aggression and mad jell hate is palpable. As above - yes, flying with Marshy and (potentially) Calneon means I don't want to see anyone in ATK.

And sarcasm aside, I'm going to Dreamhack to experience a LAN which has a much different atmosphere and events schedule than the i-series, to take in a different country (Except for France/Belgium [Chaz, remembr 1 box, 1 bar, 1 gift :D] on a history trip for a couple days in a bus and 2 days on a bench in Germany watching my family ski whilst my leg was busted, I've never been to Europe) and to watch some of the worlds greatest SC2 players play it out for the Dreamhack title. Now, if my idea of 'fun' isn't to your taste, then get over yourself.

Also - £5 says at least two of the people get to Sweden and fucking hate the whole thing.

Kiliv
12th January 2012, 10:43 PM
Aha just found out some of my friends from Norway are going :D

Target
12th January 2012, 10:57 PM
Booking summer holiday soon, so might have to just go with the cheapest option, but if the car isn't that much different then prob do that anyway :D

ez64
12th January 2012, 11:09 PM
Lets base this on my car. if its 2500 (rounded up) miles and we average 40 mpg (room for some fun there) thats 62.5 gallons of fuel.

Thats 284 litres.

At a price of 1.49 / liter thats £423.16 for fuel.

Split between 3 (i cant see us getting more than 3 in a car with computers too) thats £141.

BUT then we have to pay toll charges too (some of which are per person), and i would like a little towards the service cost of doing that mileage from each (about £20 each).

So it would probably easily come to £200 just for use of the car + tolls.

Then if we want to do other things like amsterdam or nurburgring that will be another £20 or so each for a few laps or hatever u want to spend in amsterdam. Then we have food / spending.

But bare in mind (oric) thats not just for travel and includes all transport both ways.

BUT - the fact is giels and I will both have petrol guzzling cars by then, tho I will be running on LPG most of the time, but that would cost slightly more for my car, and probably twice as much for fuel in Giels.

Effectively if we transport computers n stuff for others if we get a contribution from them then it would be less coz at the end of the day if we took 5 people it would b alot less but we can coz of taking extra stuff.

This is also assuming that im not in Florida (which incidentally is going to cost less than this for the most part xD), which I may well be as we are going in June for 2 weeks as that is the only time we can go.

I was just going to pay for my fuel dont really care about the money. roadtrip is roadtrip.

Target
13th January 2012, 02:54 AM
Shotgun with EZ :D

Colonel Mitch
13th January 2012, 03:39 PM
I was just going to pay for my fuel dont really care about the money. roadtrip is roadtrip.

Lol i cant afford to do the same

nikoli
13th January 2012, 06:17 PM
guyysss what about coaches if we had a coach with half of it being atk people it'll still be a fun road trip and might be fairly cheap ^^

Kiliv
13th January 2012, 06:33 PM
probably true nick but i think they want to drive their cars for on the autobahn and nuremburg track :3

Target
13th January 2012, 08:33 PM
Plus I don't fancy putting my pc in luggage part under the coach tbh

Marshy
13th January 2012, 08:43 PM
Shotgun the boot of ezs car

nikoli
13th January 2012, 10:38 PM
true but but im sure there can be something arranged if not we can hijack the coach and then take it round the nuremburg :D
and wait you guys are planning to drive to southish germany and round to Sweden by no boat from Denmark to Sweden? D:

CILLIT BANG
14th January 2012, 05:29 AM
lets just go amsterdam will be loads cheaper and get so destroyed if feels like were at dreamhack?

Chazlene
14th January 2012, 11:22 AM
lets just go amsterdam will be loads cheaper and get so destroyed if feels like were at dreamhack?

This ^^

We were talking about this last night, let's not bother with Dreamhack, just go to Amsterdam and a couple of other places, it'll be far cheaper and more fun than watching foreigners playing games tbh...

Colonel Mitch
14th January 2012, 03:46 PM
This ^^

We were talking about this last night, let's not bother with Dreamhack, just go to Amsterdam and a couple of other places, it'll be far cheaper and more fun than watching foreigners playing games tbh...

Also we can go at a time at which i shouldnt be in florida :)

CILLIT BANG
14th January 2012, 08:45 PM
we could inv the professionals we wana see aswell like athene and .... apollololol if we must etc
we just need a sob story so they will come ... hutch looks like he could have downs.... theirs a sob story trolol

CILLIT BANG
14th January 2012, 08:56 PM
were nerds but we can w8 to make the pilgramage to dreamhack ... for example when we have jobs and real moneys, £200 to get to amsterdam and somewhere to stay on average i believe from what people have said not looked yet

Chazlene
15th January 2012, 02:34 PM
Defo staying here...

http://www.hans-brinker.com/

Chalex4
15th January 2012, 07:28 PM
Haha looks like an amazing hotel.

Hans Brinker Hotel eco-features:
>> Eco-elevator

http://www.hans-brinker.com/site-media/user-uploads/eco-elevator.jpg

Chazlene
15th January 2012, 09:16 PM
Haha looks like an amazing hotel.

Hans Brinker Hotel eco-features:
>> Eco-elevator

http://www.hans-brinker.com/site-media/user-uploads/eco-elevator.jpg

Lol stayed there when I went to Amsterdam with my uni, all of its advertising campaigns are about how shit it is, but it's actually pretty good ha.

Calneon
15th January 2012, 09:17 PM
Can we find the biggest scariest mansion at the top of a hill somewhere remote (preferably accessible by rickety rope bridge) and stay there?

Vicious Horizon
16th January 2012, 09:51 AM
Can we find the biggest scariest mansion at the top of a hill somewhere remote (preferably accessible by rickety rope bridge) and stay there?

Seems like an excellent idea.

Marshy
16th January 2012, 10:12 AM
Why would we want to meet apollo, what a mug.

Also wtf is that hotstel, id much rather get an apartmetn, they are quite cheap tbh

Target
16th January 2012, 06:47 PM
When Marshy says appartment, he means Villa in 5 star hotel....

Isphera
16th January 2012, 11:18 PM
Why would we want to meet apollo, what a mug.

Also wtf is that hotstel, id much rather get an apartmetn, they are quite cheap tbh

Apollo is a legend and real nice guy :P And agree on the apartment,

Target
17th January 2012, 12:49 AM
Oric takes tongue out of Apollo's arse for 2seconds

CILLIT BANG
17th January 2012, 01:09 PM
id rather stay above a jazz club or something like most people who go amsterdam

ez64
18th January 2012, 01:14 PM
ok so amsterdam it is what dates are we thinking about also i will still drive there n free lifts until the range is full, I may bring two of my mates along as well. Be warned though you will have to put up with thin lizzy,the eagles, various amounts of dubstep on rather large subwoofers and the inevitable 2 4 6 8 motorway :)

ez64
18th January 2012, 01:17 PM
also just got back from a 300 mile round trip for work in the range and it was perfect although not fast and loud at motorway speeeds so may rent somethin for amsterdam

Colonel Mitch
18th January 2012, 01:21 PM
also just got back from a 300 mile round trip for work in the range and it was perfect although not fast and loud at motorway speeeds so may rent somethin for amsterdam

how can you afford all the things giels :(

As a note for you im probably going to get a 7 series :)

ez64
18th January 2012, 01:27 PM
awesome great choice v12 is a bit iff so is the 4.0l v8 the 4.4 twin vanos is where its at. watch the autobox though quite a lot of them are fubar

Chazlene
18th January 2012, 02:10 PM
Be warned though you will have to put up with thin lizzy,the eagles, various amounts of dubstep on rather large subwoofers and the inevitable 2 4 6 8 motorway :)

Shotgun.

Paper Tiger
18th January 2012, 03:03 PM
This is still dependent on work for me... Annoyingly.

Target
18th January 2012, 05:26 PM
ok so amsterdam it is what dates are we thinking about also i will still drive there n free lifts until the range is full, I may bring two of my mates along as well. Be warned though you will have to put up with thin lizzy,the eagles, various amounts of dubstep on rather large subwoofers and the inevitable 2 4 6 8 motorway :)

Can't be as bad as some of mitch music choice or volume of music :D

Colonel Mitch
18th January 2012, 06:57 PM
Can't be as bad as some of mitch music choice or volume of music :D
"turn it down!" whats that? i cant hear you shouting over the music!

Colonel Mitch
18th January 2012, 07:00 PM
awesome great choice v12 is a bit iff so is the 4.0l v8 the 4.4 twin vanos is where its at. watch the autobox though quite a lot of them are fubar

I was going for either the 730d or a 745i / 745li if i can find one at any rate :)

anything I should look out for with the gearbox?

ez64
18th January 2012, 08:15 PM
E65 has a better gearbox but literally everything else breaks and even at parts costs they are insane. people do buy them and dont spend a fortune but I have never met one :D

Anyway whats dates???? the sooner the better.

Colonel Mitch
18th January 2012, 09:07 PM
E65 has a better gearbox but literally everything else breaks and even at parts costs they are insane. people do buy them and dont spend a fortune but I have never met one
:D

Anyway whats dates???? the sooner the better.

You said it was ok when i asked on skype :o iMad

Target
18th January 2012, 10:53 PM
Everyone knows if you get a luxury car like that the parts always cost a fortune... even more so for a German car

ez64
19th January 2012, 12:00 AM
You said it was ok when i asked on skype :o iMad

The e38 7 series is fine just wagch the boxs the e65 is a money pit and thats comin from a xjs owner

CILLIT BANG
21st January 2012, 05:06 AM
think i should drive their my car would 100% make it at warp 6