PDA

View Full Version : SC2 Bo3 ATK Showmatch - Isphera (T) vs. HaiiTomm (P)

Isphera
13th January 2012, 02:20 AM
Note - I say it at the bottom, but I'll say it here in case you don't get to the end - this isn't the most well written thing in the entire world, and given that it's past 1am, I can't imagine the grammar and such is that great. I will come back and edit it at some point, but I just wanted to put it up so people can have a look at the replays and give their first thoughts of the content - Isphera (13/1 @ 0117)

Introduction

So last night, myself and HaiiTomm decided that we'd play a match since we hadn't played each other in a while. After the first game, we decided to make it a Bo3 series and play for pride and a little bit of fun, which is exactly what we had – regardless of the skill level of either of us (i.e. bronze :P), it was easily the three most fun games of straight-up SC2 I have ever played.

OK, bronze league play is never how you want to show off the communities talent, but even for that level, I think these are three real fun games to watch, especially the first one which, although not error proof, did provide a lot of fun for both Tom and myself.

I will put a little match snippet in spoilers as the TL;DW (didn't watch), but I would implore you to have a quick look through and both enjoy watching them, possibly commentate on them (ATK Media Team...) and offer any constructive comments to either player. My hope is that we get regular Bo3 (or more) show matches in the future and can provide a good network around which to improve.

Player Profiles

Isphera (http://eu.battle.net/sc2/en/profile/1371177/1/Isphera/) - Bronze League Terran, Currently Rank 27 w/ 361 points from 17 Wins (88 Career Wins)
HaiiTomm (http://eu.battle.net/sc2/en/profile/2527824/1/HaiiTomm/) - Bronze League Protoss, Currently Rank 41 w/ 105 points from 5 Wins (12 Career Wins)

On paper, it would seem that (not trying to be self-promoting here) I would have an advantage simply on game experience, but I would like to recall the memory of Tom's first 1v1, where he preceeded to beat me quite convincingly having only had the game three days. Since then, I have practiced much more on my fundemental techniques, including a lesson with coach/caster d.Apollo, and forsaken the path of cheese. Tom meanwhile has combined practicing on ladder and vs. AI with running through the single player campaign as well as keeping up with his go-to resources to learn more about the game.

Match Reports

So without further ado, into G1!

Game 1: REPLAY (http://www.mediafire.com/?khckayb636kqkhx)

Map: GSL Daybreak

This game was probably the best to watch after of all three.

Tom freely admits that he did not follow a set build after the standard 9 Pylon, 12 Gate, but throws down three gates, his cybo and an expand. I on the other hand go for my go-to Protoss build of Rax Gasless Expand accompanied by 2 (misplaced) bunkers.

Both of us remain passive for a while as we then opt for Double Forge Robo (w/ observers) and Double Fact Tech Lab and an E-bay. Although remaining passive (probably my gravest error in the game), I start upgrading my Marine/Marauder/Tank composition, whilst Tom throws down much more production and expands to his third.

I decided to move my third CC out at around 16 minutes, but unaware to myself at the time, I have around a 40 supply lead. Meanwhile, Tom is getting Ground Attack and Defense 2 for his Gateway Army with a few Immortals. I finally decide to move out having nearly maxed myself, but failed to account for actually wanting medivacs. Tom however leaves his third completely undefended, and I send my army in to take it out. He then defends with his Gateway/Immortals which, with their superior upgrades, force my army to retreat.

Quickly regrouping at base with medivacs, I quickly re-max and head out just as 2/2 is finishing for ground. Tom however begins producing Colossi and ETL and maxes himself. He wins the ensuing combat, but I still have a slight army lead due to quicker reinforcing. I begin 3/3 and expand to three new bases in order to get a better economy. However, all of this was for naught as I went to attack Tom's newly acquired 4th, but not unsieging my tanks sends a mass bio ball to it. I do succeed in killing it, but at the expense of getting flanked by his colossi and archons. Weakened, even with 3/3 and once again forgetting to put Medivacs in my mix, Tom re-maxes and simply rolls my base until the last stand of some Marines and a few Vikings. GG.

Score: HaiiTomm 1, Isphera 0

Game 2: REPLAY (http://www.mediafire.com/?q04h0a6krllaw0u)

Map: GSL Bel'shir Beach

My GSL fanboyism in choosing this map only for that reason. Tom decideds to go 3 Gate Robo into an expand with a predominantly stalker composition. I decide I want to try out the 1/1/1, more specifically the 12 Marine/3 Hellion/Medivac push. However, macro mistakes cost me three marines and some of the worst unit management in history causes the attack to stumble and to lose twice what I killed.

At this point, I simply wanted to try something out, so I thought, 'Why not hellion drop his back base?'. So I retreated, got some hellions out and killed a couple probes before retreating as his stalkers came in. He reacts by building a Warp Prism on top of his Gateway/Immortal mix from before, but I am able to scout it coming over and he pulls back.

At the 12-13 minute mark, Tom once again boosts his production, but macro mistakes lead to a small increase in army size. I in the meantime work on upgrading my marines with stim and combat shield in preparation for another medivac drop, only this time with blue flame hellions and some Marine/Maurauder as well. With the spare units, I sent in an attack to simply draw his forces out and then proceed to drop his base. Tom very nearly holds it off, but by the time he can warp in units that can take out the last few units of the drop, most of his production and tech is offline and my reinforcement Marauder/Tank group arrives to deliver the final crippling blow to his economy.

Score: HaiiTomm 1, Isphera 1

Game 3: REPLAY (http://www.mediafire.com/?cua91pwumst67yg)

Map: Shakuras Plateau

After some initial BM banter, Tom opens with three gate robo, but adding an additional two gateways afterwards instead of expanding. I decide to take a page out of EG.DeMusliM's playbook and go for a Reaper Expand. An error in switching buildings means I can't get reaper speed, but manage to pick off a couple probes just as his 4th and 5th gateway goes down. Tom then expands to his natural and lays down a proxy pylon outside of my natural.

With the accidental switch of the fact and rax for the tech lab, I decide to go full-on Marine Tank, building 3 more barracks, reactors on all bar one and a reactored starport, along with stim and +1 attack. Tom again goes for Gateway/Immortal, this time with a more balanced number of zealots and stalkers. After a quick pause due to one of my housemates having turned his display upside down requiring me to fix it, I move most of my marines and two tanks outside his base just as +1 and stim finish at the 13 minute mark. I send one marine off to scout and it picks up that Tom has expanded to his third. As his army was cut off, I send the marines off to take it out, whilst sending in a second group of marines from my base to help the tanks, which arrive just as Tom attacks them.

With no upgrades and inferior numbers, the push is cleared up and after a couple zealot warp-ins and Tom asking to leave at least one probe (“Couldn't you leave one probe to go back to his family”, “What will they do with no minerals to munch on”, “Think of the babies, poor probeling.”), Tom GG's out, thus ending the match.

Final Score: HaiiTomm 1, Isphera 2

In Review

TO DO - Something each player did well and the main areas for each to improve upon.

Conclusion

Hopefully the write-up is of some interest to some and accompanies the game well (given my limited knowledge of the game and that I wrote most of this at 1am, it's probably not the most accurate or most flowing peace of writing that I have done, but I hope that this can set a benchmark for ATK showmatches and reports in the future.

Calneon
13th January 2012, 02:27 AM
Aww, I thought this was announcing an upcoming showmatch I could have spectated. Watching something live is much more enjoyable than watching a replay for me.

Isphera
13th January 2012, 02:33 AM
Agreed, but I'd rather have replays and a report than nothing at all :D. Hopefully in the future, we can do one or two of these a week and have them scheduled in for people to watch in game or on stream with a commentator (again, ATK Media Team...)