PDA

View Full Version : Your mentality when playing games competitively

Target
19th May 2012, 06:34 PM
So just watched this daily http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hz_B9H8taG0#t=7m45s by day 9 and you can really apply this to most games. Might try out the whole 1 game a day for 2 weeks with a goal and make sure to celebrate.

The other thing I really liked was the idea of discussing your losses with other people, to get a different opinion of what you should have done maybe.

Just wondered if anyone has any little things they do when there going to solo q or ladder?

Marshy
20th May 2012, 01:58 AM
The talking through method works exceptionally well with games like SC2 as whenever I do this i can go from loosing 10 games in a row to winning 10. However it requires you to actually learn, whenever i've tried to do this with someone that doesn't listen (randomers from team liquid channel) it can get quite stressful e.g. them asking you something, you telling them something they don't want to hear, them saying 'Yeah yeah' but then never doing it, just a waste of time, however gay it will sound you need to go into this with an open mind be ready to be told you're doing something wrong even if you think its right, if you do disagree with them make sure you're vocal about it or there's no point to this exercise.

I'm not sure how this would work with LoL as it's pretty hard to practice something, if you did something wrong it will probably be a while until you can see if you can do it right, e.g. avoiding a gank with a certain champ you're not gonna get that again for a while. The main thing I guess you would have to do would be sit down as a team and set up trademark tactics? For example the obvious ones like hotshotGG talking about bush ganking i don't know how that goes down in competitive play but when theory has lead us in normals we have won games that were just lost 100%.

Try and find something that works for you and refine the shit out of it (technical term) for example in SC2 against protoss i VERY rarely go outside of roach ling and mutalisk as i can do these so well now i know most protoss dont stand a chance against me, why fix it if it's not broken. Try and make something up yourself or change up pro teams tactics slightly and just do them over and over and over until your teamwork is so good when you make a play like it people just know what to do instinctively.

tldr; Make a tactic your own, don't be an asshole

Colonel Mitch
20th May 2012, 02:21 AM
The talking through method works exceptionally well with games like SC2 as whenever I do this i can go from loosing 10 games in a row to winning 10. However it requires you to actually learn, whenever i've tried to do this with someone that doesn't listen (randomers from team liquid channel) it can get quite stressful e.g. them asking you something, you telling them something they don't want to hear, them saying 'Yeah yeah' but then never doing it, just a waste of time, however gay it will sound you need to go into this with an open mind be ready to be told you're doing something wrong even if you think its right, if you do disagree with them make sure you're vocal about it or there's no point to this exercise.

I'm not sure how this would work with LoL as it's pretty hard to practice something, if you did something wrong it will probably be a while until you can see if you can do it right, e.g. avoiding a gank with a certain champ you're not gonna get that again for a while. The main thing I guess you would have to do would be sit down as a team and set up trademark tactics? For example the obvious ones like hotshotGG talking about bush ganking i don't know how that goes down in competitive play but when theory has lead us in normals we have won games that were just lost 100%.

Try and find something that works for you and refine the shit out of it (technical term) for example in SC2 against protoss i VERY rarely go outside of roach ling and mutalisk as i can do these so well now i know most protoss dont stand a chance against me, why fix it if it's not broken. Try and make something up yourself or change up pro teams tactics slightly and just do them over and over and over until your teamwork is so good when you make a play like it people just know what to do instinctively.

tldr

Marshy
20th May 2012, 02:24 AM
tldr

Target
20th May 2012, 03:16 PM
Yeh in LoL if you try and give anyone any small peice of advice they instantly go ape shit and flame you to death. Like in solo q its pointless to try and even speak to people, they just get mad if you say anything. I think in team games it work really well to back over the game and see where it was lost, but most importantly to not get mad about it, just accept that you lost and see how it could have been avoided.
But yeh getting your ego out of the game is a lot easier said than done!