PDA

View Full Version : Recent Activity vs New Posts

Chalex4
12th September 2012, 09:53 PM
This is a thread to gather feedback about a new feature of the website: 'Recent Activity'.

It was introduced with the latest version of vBulletin, and although Calneon and I had our doubts as to whether it'd be anywhere near as useful as 'New Posts', we decided to see if you guys liked it :). Here are the links to the separate features:

Click to go to: Recent Activity (http://www.atkcommunity.com/activity.php)
Click to go to: New Posts (http://www.atkcommunity.com/search.php?do=getnew&contenttype=vBForum_Post)

My opinion is that Recent Activity is a one shop stop. It previews threads and comments across the forum and article system, but that unfortunately has the effect of noone actually visiting threads. Of course, another problem is that it doesn't actually show what you have and haven't read already (annoying imo).

Either way, please vote in the poll and post your opinion below if you have one.

kneticz
12th September 2012, 10:27 PM
Recent activity just reminds me of facebook, which I'm not a big fan of :ninja:

Vicious Horizon
12th September 2012, 11:57 PM
Can we get a mixture of both?

For instance when a new blog post gets put up there's a big red tag saying "LEAGUE OF LEGENDS!" or something, then when there's a forum post it's a green tag with the post's title on.

I'm sure you web design folk can work something out that looks nicer than that but I think you understand where I'm coming from?

Calneon
13th September 2012, 12:13 AM
I thought the reason we did recent activity was that recent posts didn't work in the new version...

Chalex4
13th September 2012, 01:57 AM
Did work, but there seemed to be an odd delay in updating number of new posts. Perhaps due to caching.

@ VH: Interesting idea. Basically means styling the recent activity page better, but I don't know if we'd quite be able to merge the functionality. We'll investigate :).

Colonel Mitch
13th September 2012, 08:03 AM
created a new option for something else / mix

Chalex4
23rd September 2012, 04:35 PM
Don't know about you guys, but I've actually starting using recent activity and am now liking it more. Is really useful for seeing what comments on the articles are new, as well as posts in forums.

swifty
23rd September 2012, 05:18 PM
The reason I don't like the recent activity (Mitch) is that you can only see what someones put, and on threads many times the replies are to a previous post, which isnt shown, so what you read is completley out of context and doesnt make sesne in relation to the thread title.

This isnt so much of a problem for the reviews but for the forum