PDA

View Full Version : New Computer - Spec Recommendations?

Paper Tiger
5th December 2007, 10:05 AM
Anyone got any spec recommendations? I want something that will eat anything I throw at it! DOOM3, GRAW2, Far Cry, BioShock, Crysis.

Want it to be high end basically... So any recommendations?

Not really a budget limit as yet, but lets be sensible! I can't really afford a WHOOPER of £3000's worth of PC, guys!

Cheers.

Chazlene
5th December 2007, 11:43 AM
Well, firstly I recommend using these websites for components:

www.overclockers.co.uk

www.ebuyer.com

www.novatech.co.uk

Get a decent Motherboard so your PC will be easy to upgrade in the future,
you shouldn't need a quad core right now so a dual core will be alright, at least 2GB of Ram, I recommend from OCZ and an Nvidia 8 series Graphics card. I'm not the best person to ask, so ask Chalex as well. Hope you found this helpful.

Paper Tiger
5th December 2007, 02:03 PM
I knew all of them sites already, and have used all three too :D

Just a decent dual core then. Already got 2GB RAM, Maybe add to that with another 1GB?

I was planning for the 8 Series anyway, maybe the 8800.

Cheers :)

ez64
5th December 2007, 03:26 PM
if you can wait until next feb do so since the Nvidia 9 seris is coming out.

and if you want to play crysis properly expect to pay 800 upwards

Hutch
5th December 2007, 07:27 PM
Can I say, just buy a decent PSU, and a decent case and all the basics then
choose a bundle of motherboard, CPU and RAM from Novatech at dirt cheap (and pre-assembled) and tested then find a decent g card, im doing all this for about £500, on a tight budget.

Once you have a decent PSU and Case, you can simply rip out the bundle and throw in a new one as you please or a new Gcard.

600W PSU
Alright simple case (not beige :) )
8600GT 512MB
E6550 Core 2 duo
2GB DDR 2 RAM
Intel P35 mobo (Does not support SLI, but its ok)
160GB Maxtor SATA hard disk
DVDRW Drive
19" widescreen unbranded monitor
cheapy keyboard and mouse - taking the good ones from old PC, but need something for my parents to use.

Chalex4
5th December 2007, 07:34 PM
Right, here we go:

RAM - Since DDR3 already exists, get the best DDR2 RAM you can afford. I am going to get the "OCZ 2GB (2 x 1GB) PC2-8500 1066MHz Reaper HPC Edition Dual Channel DDR2" for my new PC.
MOTHERBOARD - get an X38 Intel chipset motherboard if you want to be future-proof. This is because it supports SLi (in theory), 45nm processors and PCI-E v2.
GRAPHICS CARD - Since I can't wait until Feb to get my new PC, I am going to be getting the NEW Nvidia 8800GTS with 1GB of RAM in it, this will retail for about £250 - £325 I think. It is going to be released on the 11th of December.
PROCESSOR - Get a quad-core if you really want to be future proof. I am sure that in 2008 we will see almost all games supporting multi-core processors. The Q6660 (2.4GHz) is almost the same price as the E6600 and is much better. If you get one (I am), make sure you get the G0 stepping version, for increased overclocking possibilities. You can overclock this processor to the same as an QX6850 very easily, which saves you a lot of cash.
SOUND CARD - Motherboard sound is generally crap, especially for gaming. I recommend that you get the "Creative Soundblaster X-fi Xtreme Gamer Soundcard".
PSU - This is a very important component. If you are using the components above, a Corsair HX Series 620W Modular PSU should be fine.
HARD DRIVE - You might as well get a 500GB one, so why not get the "Western Digital WD5000AAKS 500GB SATA II 7200RPM 16MB Cache"
CASE - This may not suit you, but if you want an awesome gaming case get the Antec Nine Hundred.
OPTICAL DRIVE - If you want lightscribe the "Asus DRW-1814BLT 18x18 DVD±RW Serial ATA Dual Layer Lightscribe ReWriter (Black)" isn't a bad choice.
MOUSE - I have the Logitech G5 v2 and it is perfect. It is £50 though, but I regard that as a worthwhile cost.
KEYBOARD - If you have lots of desk space, the Logitech G15 is an amazing keyboard.
MONITOR - I am a man who likes big things, so a 24" monitor is very nice indeed. The "Samsung SM245B 24" TFT Monitor Widescreen" is a good value monitor. I will be getting this monitor in about a year if I have any spare cash.

Please note: Use Windows XP if you want to get a higher FPS than Vista. DX10 is still nothing to rave about. Also, the components I specified above are high spec. and I will be getting most, if not all of them in my new PC which I am ordering very soon. If you get all the components above and useful stuff like thermal paste, you will be looking at about £1400. I am not getting the monitor with my new PC, so the cost is significantly less.

Hardietbh
6th December 2007, 08:43 AM
Ill have a look, do you need mouse kepboard and monitor?

Paper Tiger
6th December 2007, 04:48 PM
I already have G15 and G5, and got a new 2ms 17" monitor :) Anything >17" is too big for my room
So no need for Monitor, Keyboard or Mouse

Paper Tiger
6th December 2007, 05:14 PM
Also, will older games still work on a quad-core? That's one thing I'm worried about.

As for money, I gotta save for it first, so looks like I'll be waiting 'til ATLEAST March/April for a reasonable amount...But for £1400, will be about *opens calculator* actually, it works out to about that.... April/May time.

I have 2x750gb HDD's, so that'll reduce the cost a bit too :)
Minus the keyboard, monitor and mouse too, but I need a decent set of speakers/a decent headset. Prob headset.
I already have 2x1GB sticks of Kingston Value RAM, recommend upgrading it?

Cheers.

ez64
6th December 2007, 05:53 PM
March/Apr will be a completly new hardware set no point in even pricing it up atm.

Paper Tiger
6th December 2007, 05:56 PM
True. I'll just save about £1400, see how things go.

Hardietbh
6th December 2007, 06:16 PM
Gary what how fast is your RAM 667mhz or 800mhz?

Hutch
6th December 2007, 06:22 PM
If its value DDR RAM then it'll only be 400 at the most.

Hardietbh
6th December 2007, 06:53 PM
Well if its 400 or 667 i would recommend upgrading

Paper Tiger
6th December 2007, 06:55 PM
Okay, probably is one of them, can't remember exact spec.

Hardietbh
6th December 2007, 06:57 PM
can you find out?

Paper Tiger
7th December 2007, 10:08 PM
How...I canny remember.

ez64
7th December 2007, 10:19 PM
use cpuz or just next time you reboot check in your bios.

Hardietbh
7th December 2007, 11:38 PM
yeh downlaod CPU-Z should tell you

Paper Tiger
8th December 2007, 09:07 PM
tbh, it's most likely pretty cheap stuff, and not at a high speed.

Looking at ebuyer.com(where I got it from) It's between 400 and 533.