PDA

View Full Version : A new MMORPG we all play

spawnofebil
2nd January 2008, 05:53 PM
Right, so Bloo, Hutch, Chaz and I were talking about all playing a new MMO together (no, we aren't playing WoW, don't bother).

We eventually narrowed it down to two options:
-Age of Conan
-Warhammer Online

I'm not playing AoC, because it reminds me uncomfortably of Arnold Schwarzenegger, so it'll have to be WAR. Bloo said we have to play the evil races, and that's cool.

I also think we should actually properly PvP in it as well, because PvP is fun and killing mindless enemy hordes isn't after a while.

So, what do you all think (no, we don't want to play WoW oric).

Bloo
2nd January 2008, 06:05 PM
Then I think both WAR and AoC fit the bill, both feature DaoC massive scale conflict and all that. But yeah, WAR looks far better IMO, the Warhammer setting has bounds of character.

.. And we don't -have- to play evil races, but I think they are far cooler, if no one else agree's, i'll happily play a goodie.

Hutch
2nd January 2008, 06:36 PM
I would go for WAR: Warhammer Online Age of Reckoning (not given its full title in the thread yet, all these weird acronyms people wont understand lol).

For all the reasons above I think we should play it. Tabula Rasa we were interested by but its already out and I think we should go for something that we can all start at once (ie a Preorder).

Also, Dwarves beards grow longer in this game, and there are better evil forces to play as than WoW any day.
Also, WAR's delay means that they seem to be trying to polish it and not release an unfinished game, TR didnt even have an auction house when it came out... AoC is also delayed but for much major polishing...
Conan is a bit gay..

I guess its a toss up between midgit beards growing and beefy germans permamently losing limbs.

Marshy
2nd January 2008, 06:45 PM
Guild wars?

Bloo
2nd January 2008, 07:27 PM
We all already own that, but it's not a true MMO.

Anyway if we do choose WAR, I think it'd be best if we vote whether we're goodies or baddies. Though honestly, one of the orc's quest involves getting a big fat giant drunk. Comeon!

spawnofebil
2nd January 2008, 07:34 PM
Whichever looks the best and most stylish tbh.

I mean, no point in having an insane advantage if you can't look good doing so.

Bloo
2nd January 2008, 07:54 PM
Whichever looks the best and most stylish tbh.

I mean, no point in having an insane advantage if you can't look good doing so.

Damnit! Thats purely subjective!!!

spawnofebil
2nd January 2008, 09:24 PM
Tbh, that was one of the things I didn't like about WoW.

Horde look bad, Alliance look generic and TBC races aren't much better. Guild Wars at least had Mesmers.

Hutch
2nd January 2008, 09:48 PM
Warhammer online doesnt look quite so generic.

Isphera
2nd January 2008, 10:05 PM
Why not just go to WoW? It'll cost the same, and will also be reasonably easy to start, since me and Target will probably be able to help. And to be quite honest, you say a community is something where everyone plays together, so why not come somewhere where there is already members playing?

Bloo
2nd January 2008, 10:19 PM
Why not just go to WoW? It'll cost the same, and will also be reasonably easy to start, since me and Target will probably be able to help. And to be quite honest, you say a community is something where everyone plays together, so why not come somewhere where there is already members playing?

See the top of the thread.

Most of us (aside from Chazlene) have tried WoW and have had mixed results of it, Hutch has an off-on-on relationship with periods of liking it and loathing it, spawn I think liked it for a bit but has seemed to of gone all quiet on that front, and I... well WoW was fun, but it became like a work rather than fun and I was forced to do things I didn'twant to do (I don't want to go to the f**king barrens, the name itself conjure's up the wrong images (wastelands are not fun kids)).

EDIT: Also it's somewhat of a betrayal of Blizzards heritage, they were the pioneers of free online gameplay (with Battlenet), and now they're the biggest money charging MMO out there.

Hutch
2nd January 2008, 10:22 PM
Yeah like he said, also, something fresh is kind of the idea as well...
Freshness, with Dwarves and Orcs in a fantasy setting, fresh...

Chazlene
3rd January 2008, 12:12 AM
Hutch, If you want to say the word fresh then go and apply for a role in a Morrisons advert.

ez64
3rd January 2008, 01:46 AM
Honestly there both going to be great MMO's.

WoW doesnt have true massive world scale events that these MMO's are going to have from the start.

I would love to get into a MMO again with a large community that can support each other and eventually raid or pvp together.

Warhammer online has my vote purely because I know the story inside out.

Hutch
3rd January 2008, 09:37 AM
Warhammer online has my vote purely because I know the story inside out.

Nerd lol.

ez64
3rd January 2008, 01:46 PM
Nerd lol.

damn straight. :cool:

spawnofebil
3rd January 2008, 02:40 PM
Fat nerd lol.

(at Hutch, not you)

Marshy
3rd January 2008, 03:22 PM
Guild wars! GUILD WARS!

ez64
3rd January 2008, 04:26 PM
payed for guild wars, honestly the worst MMO ive played in my entire life, its for people that cannot afford wow, yet want something better than runescape.

Bloo
3rd January 2008, 04:49 PM
Well I found GW fun, but it doesn't fit the bill... it's not new for one thing. :P

Anyway so is the general consensus that we play WAR then? Or has anyone else got any suggestions? The only other game that comes right off the top of my head to play together is Conan and has already said he'd rather eat his fist than play that (paraphrasing of course...).

Chazlene
3rd January 2008, 05:18 PM
Wait... Guild Wars 2?

Bloo
3rd January 2008, 05:31 PM
True true, but i've followed the info on it and it'll be (and i'm guessing here) late '08, probably during the next Christmas rush.

spawnofebil
3rd January 2008, 08:09 PM
Also, I really don't want to play another GW, no matter how good it is, because it's probably just more of the same.

AoC isn't bad, but it's incredibly homo-erotic and it's got Arnold Schwarzenegger in it. WAR it is.

Now, does anyone actually know anything about the game?

Chazlene
3rd January 2008, 08:42 PM
You play as a small painted plastic model and take it in turns to move 20cm?

Bloo
3rd January 2008, 09:06 PM
Now, does anyone actually know anything about the game?

I know about WAR, I did a quick study over their site, watch a few video's etc last night about it.

Basically you have two sides, Order, which is composed of Empire (They're humans and live in a society not unlike medieval Germany), Dwarves (Think people from the North of England, proud mining folk, who know their time has passed) and the High Elves (Pointy ears, mostly like Vulcans with their controlling of emotions and shit, except the awesome Ranger-like Shadow Warriors, which I call if we play Order :p).

Then you have Destruction which features Greenskins (Play Dawn of War, put the technology to a fantasy level but keep the style and you got 'em, also add more goblins), Chaos (Twisted freaks with loads of mutations and odd evil stuff, see your face basically) and Dark Elves (Emo Goth Elves).

... And they're fighting, of course, you do PvP, PvE etc in one of three zones which has two sides fighting in it (Nice Elves v Naughty Elves, Orcs v Stunties, Germans v Chaos). Doing stuff gives your side points, whoever has more points captures more territory, in the top level area's, there's a big war going on, with both sides able to sack the others city if the sides are powerful enough, in short, see Guild Wars Factions. Of course it's better than that because you get forts and sieges, huge battles and best of all, some idiot green person yelling "WAAAAAAAAAAAAAGH!".

Finally the boring stuff, each race has four classes or 'careers' falling into either tanks, melee DPS, Ranged DPS (mostly mages, aside from the awesome Shadow Warriors, which I call if we're goodies, by the way) and Support, who buff and debuff, heal and hurt and need to juggle both.

Oh yeah, and did I mention I bag Shadow Warrior if we're goodguys? :p

Marshy
3rd January 2008, 09:07 PM
Guild wars (2) GUILD WARS (2)!!!

Bloo
3rd January 2008, 09:24 PM
Guild wars (2) GUILD WARS (2)!!!

Your opinion will be noted down and then conviently lost. :p

Marshy
3rd January 2008, 11:12 PM
Dont worry i found it, it says Guild wars 2

ez64
4th January 2008, 05:10 AM
who's marshy?, I dont remeber any marshy on the ATK site.

Do any of you?

Chazlene
4th January 2008, 12:41 PM
What?! You're bagging the ranger Bloo? But I'm always the ranger, you're the mage and Squizzel's the warrior! hmph.

Hutch
4th January 2008, 01:50 PM
Wait wait wait, I need to be something malignantly evil like a necromancer, so probably will have to go mage.

Marshy has been around longer than you EZ64.

spawnofebil
4th January 2008, 02:28 PM
I refuse to play warrior because it bores the balls out of me.

Marshy
4th January 2008, 03:30 PM
who's marshy?, I dont remeber any marshy on the ATK site.

Do any of you?
HA i was here when it was C2G

On topic:
Yeh i love being a tank so i can do that quite well

Bloo
4th January 2008, 07:10 PM
What?! You're bagging the ranger Bloo? But I'm always the ranger, you're the mage and Squizzel's the warrior! hmph.

We could both be Shadow Warriors, and stick 'em full of arrers! Hahahaha, hahaha, HAHAHAHAHAhahaHAHAHAHAhahahahahahahaHA!!!!!!

... err.

Edit: Though we probably should take a quick informal vote on which side we play in WAR (provided we play WAR of course...). Not a poll or anythinng, the game isn't even out yet! (Just making suggestions...)

spawnofebil
4th January 2008, 09:18 PM
The only problem I have with most traditional MMOs is that there's only a few classes, which can be conviently laid out thus:

Tank (boring)
DPS (kind of interesting)
Heal (interesting but only if you find a group)

Not many choices e?

ez64
4th January 2008, 09:47 PM
I want to be DPS/hunter probably, if not some kind of warlock/mage.

But I dont want to be a heabot or main tank as I used to watch movies/episodes on the other screen on Raid's and nearly every other game.

Bloo
4th January 2008, 10:34 PM
The only problem I have with most traditional MMOs is that there's only a few classes, which can be conviently laid out thus:

Tank (boring)
DPS (kind of interesting)
Heal (interesting but only if you find a group)

Not many choices e?

Indeed, and it seems that WAR has that as well, only it goes, tank, mage, 'sin/rogue (depending on what games you've played) and buffbot.

http://www.warhammeronline.com/english/gameInfo/armiesofWAR/

this page has all the list, and one of the High Elf ones that says Coming Soon! is the Shadow Walker. Have a look around. :P

spawnofebil
5th January 2008, 12:22 PM
Also, this is another bugbear of mine: retarded races.

Humans are kind of ok but generic.
Elves are too much like LotR.
Dwarves are too short.
Greenskins don't look cool enough.

Guess it'll have to be Chaos then.

Marshy
5th January 2008, 02:00 PM
I dont really mind war seems fun but only for a short while, gw / wow has my vote :s

Hutch
5th January 2008, 02:17 PM
Shame that Citadel made Warhammer look the way it does before the lord of the rings films, in fact they designed all of the Lord of the rings models as well. Remember that Warhammer kinda borrowed alot from LOTR in the first place though. But I wouldn't say that something looks too LOTR seeing as Warhammer is set in a very similar fantasy setting and has been doing so for years.

Vicious Horizon
5th January 2008, 04:47 PM
Well, my (small) vote would be for A pay-once game, but most of you are going for WAR, I've got guild-wars so GW is the game I'd go for..

Hutch
5th January 2008, 05:46 PM
We all own guildwars already, me and bloo have all campaigns expansions etc and Spawn has all campaigns and has played it to death, we've all played it to death.

spawnofebil
5th January 2008, 05:57 PM
Just me more than most people

(I was in a top 100 ranked guild).

Bloo
5th January 2008, 06:02 PM
We all own guildwars already, me and bloo have all campaigns expansions etc and Spawn has all campaigns and has played it to death, we've all played it to death.

Plus it fails the criteria of being new. :(

And yeah, the Order races look dull compared to the Destruction ones, which is why I think we should be evil rather than good. :p

And out of all the classes, the Dark Elf Sorceress/Sorcerer sounds interesting on Destruction, the usual idea of magic that never gets put in games, add more power to the spells means there's more of a chance it'll smack you right back on the face.

Isphera
6th January 2008, 02:28 PM
Why not just do a poll as to what MMO members think we should do, seems to be the best way of deciding it?

So much so, give me 5 mins.

Hutch
6th January 2008, 02:40 PM
Yeah, poll not really necessary as this thread said 3 times, NO WOW. Also a discussion was made and the general conclusion was WAR.

spawnofebil
6th January 2008, 03:15 PM
We've already decided we want to play WAR. Not democratic, but who the fuck cares. If they want to play GW fine by me, I don't want to play the game again since it has little replay value.

Plus, as we've already stated countless times: we don't want to play WoW

Bloo
6th January 2008, 03:26 PM
And as i've said countless times, we want to play a -NEW- MMO, WoW is old, it's like someone suggesting we play Everquest 1, which is the original WoW :p

Hutch
6th January 2008, 03:28 PM
Omg Lets All Just Play Runescape, Its Almost The Same As Wow!!!!!

Bloo
6th January 2008, 03:30 PM
Omg Lets All Just Play Runescape, Its Almost The Same As Wow!!!!!

Thats now new damnit! :p

Hutch
6th January 2008, 03:51 PM
Lol lets just all play War and if anyone disagrees we just ignore them/beat them up/give them a kerb stomping to remember.

Isphera
6th January 2008, 05:47 PM
WoW may have been release around 3 years ago, but its content is constantly expanding and being updated, with the last one about a month ago, and the next content expansion, Sunwell, being released in the near future. And then, after that, we have the release of WotLK, which brings in an entire new continent. So the WoW is old argument doesn't work, since it is being constantly worked on and upgraded. And they've added an EXP bonus between 20-60, as well as requiring less EXP between that bracket to level, so it will be quicker to level to 60, this 70, and since you guys will be doing it together, you'll have groups for the instances you do, plus the support of Me, Chris and John to help you when you need it, and when you do reach 70, you'll be able to come with us into the heroics and end-game stuff, since we will help you into a position to prepare for that. Hopefully that will happen before WotLK, so that we can all level to 80 together. Only negative about that? Theres two start areas in WotLK, which we may split on, but since it'll probably be 50:50, that's fine, then we meet in Dalaran in the center of Northrend for the common areas, and then quest together again to 80, gear up, then go spank Arthas at Icecrown.

TBQH, you can't really beat that.

Bloo
6th January 2008, 05:55 PM
Oric, we'll repeat it once again so that even your small brain thats bloated with fat and arrogance will understand.

WE WILL NOT PLAY WOW

NOW KINDLY FUCK OFF.

Fucking spoilt brat...

Hutch
6th January 2008, 05:59 PM
Oric, we'll repeat it once again so that even your small brain thats bloated with fat and arrogance will understand.

WE WILL NOT PLAY WOW

NOW KINDLY FUCK OFF.

Fucking spoilt brat...

If anyone cant understand that i'd be amazed.
It says all over the first few posts, no WOW.

spawnofebil
6th January 2008, 06:04 PM
Let me repeat this:

ORIC YOU FUCKER WE'RE NOT PLAYING WOW NOW GTFO.

spawnofebil
6th January 2008, 06:05 PM
Oric-I also hear you're a pretty terrible WoW player from good authority.

Hutch
6th January 2008, 06:07 PM
Lets not be rude Spawn, it is not our fault that this gentleman here can't comprehend basic English, he comes from Barcelona.

Isphera
6th January 2008, 06:12 PM
Crap at WoW? What have you been reading, your ass?

Bloo
6th January 2008, 06:15 PM
Crap at WoW? What have you been reading, your ass?

By which you mean our good friend Target, then yes, we've been reading from our donkey.

Isphera
6th January 2008, 06:15 PM
Try that source again.