PDA

View Full Version : Tournament, anyone?

Vicious Horizon
6th January 2008, 04:48 PM
I was just thinking, maybe do something like Chazlene was doing a while ago? I've started to get back into RTS and need some more practise, so maybe we could have a tournament..

spawnofebil
6th January 2008, 04:51 PM
Not a bad idea, but Chazlene can't patch his DoW for some reason.

Still, I'm up for it.

Vicious Horizon
6th January 2008, 04:53 PM
Oh, I've only got the GotY edition, no expansion packs, i dont *think* it's patched, so i dont think that will be a problem :-/

Isphera
6th January 2008, 05:41 PM
Point is, everyone else is patched to the latest, and you need the latest to access the Relic servers. Plus you will need at least Winter Assault, since Chaz uses Imp Guard, and I think there was one person that wanted necrons. So if we were to do it, it would need prep and a lot of organization on the part of those who wanted to participate.

spawnofebil
6th January 2008, 05:59 PM
No Oric, if Vicious doesn't want to play IG, Necrons or Tau he's fine; you don't need the expansions to play against people with those races.

We can also get around the problem of Relic servers by using Hamachi, so even those without the game can download/torrent it if they wish and join in (I am in no way condoning piracy).

Isphera
6th January 2008, 06:25 PM
You cant play on the normal game against those using WA and DC.

Squizzel
6th January 2008, 07:11 PM
yes you can........you just can't use them yourself, I'm sure someone tried it at some point

Bloo
6th January 2008, 07:20 PM
yes you can........you just can't use them yourself, I'm sure someone tried it at some point

You can't play the WA or DC versions of the game, but if you load up DoW the original you can play, however, that version lacks all the shiny new units and races.

If you own DC and DC alone you can play MP against other folks, but can only play Necrons or Tau on MP.

Chazlene
6th January 2008, 08:43 PM
If you wanted we could just carry on with my crusade idea, the reason why it went wrong was because not many people had the game at the time, so I had to ask people to join who weren't in the Community and didn't come on TS, so organising matches became hard.

ez64
6th January 2008, 08:54 PM
we could all play DoW over hamachi for the people that cannot get *online*

Vicious Horizon
7th January 2008, 08:40 AM
I don't see a problem in going back to Chazlene's idea, seeing as it was better in the first place.. I just didn't totally understand it.

Vicious Horizon
10th January 2008, 09:21 PM
Alright, Im getting Dark Crusade (I HOPE), I've found out i can play it without winter assault, apart from not being able to play as Imp Guard on MP, which i probably wont need.

Edit -> And I will not be hosting any servers, any time someone tries to connect it says not responding...

Bloo
10th January 2008, 10:13 PM
Perhaps we should do something simpler before attempting a full blown map campaign? You know, pair people up into a team of two, say that you can only play maps A B C and X Y Z if you want a little structure to it, the teams fight off eachother (2v2 etc..) whoever wins the most games, err, wins?

Bloo
11th January 2008, 12:26 AM
And since I had ten minutes spare time, I thought of a couple of ways we could do a Crusade this way:

- Yeah, simple knockout, play a match, win go through, lose, you suck and fail. Winner is the only guy/team who doesn't suck and fail.

- A ladder, 2 points for winning, 1 point for losing (or whatever) play a match, win, get extra points after all the teams have played eachother, the team with the most points wins. Perhaps have games with more than two teams and it goes like, 4 points for top, 3 points for second, 2 points for third, 1 point for losing as an example.

- Another complicated system! Pick a few maps and these can be captured, by playing and winning a game on them.
So each team 'conquers' the planets and all that, but rather than picking another side to attack we go on a rotation, so Team Awesomesauce fights Fatty Club, then Hat Brigade then Rubber Ducks and then Fatty Club again and it repeats.. (using the example of those four teams, likewise Fatty Club would fight TA, RD then HB, and Hat Brigade fights RD then FC then TA... etc etc...). Make it fair that you attack one time and defend the other when fighting another team, so TA attacks all the time the first round, then is defending all of the next round and it repeats (obviously it would probably be something like 2 attacks and defends a round with four teams to be fair...).

- Or a middleground between that and the point system. Pick a map when fighting another team win/lose and the result is posted for that map, gain say 5 victories on a planet and it's 'locked off' and no one can play there anymore, but that team 'owns' it and gets points for owning it, when all the planets are gobbled up count up the points, whoever has the most wins.

Phew... those idea's were much simpler in my head, it's 11:25 now so i'm talking gibberish, thats why it all sounds odd and crazy, enjoy.

Vicious Horizon
11th January 2008, 08:36 AM
Lol, i think i summarised it, but yeah good idea xD

Vicious Horizon
22nd February 2008, 08:01 PM
**UPDATE**

I have recently bought Dawn Of War: Dark Crusade ^_^ And I am playing as the Imperial Guard.. A little stupid seeing as I can't play them in MP >_< but imo it's an absolutely amazing game so far ^_^

Races Verdict:

Eldar (I keep getting pushed back in my assaults)
Tau (Seem a little versatile)
Necrons (Haven't played as these guys yet)
Space Marines (A bit plain, but i can still use them effectively
Chaos (Rawr ^_^ I'm awful playing as these guys. I just like defilers)
Orks (Lots and lots)

Pheonix
22nd February 2008, 10:10 PM
o0o, i have this game, never really got into it, but i would love to do some kind of tournament

Vicious Horizon
24th February 2008, 07:12 PM
Hi, don't think i've seen you around. But Yeah, im up for a tourney still, but i recommend people download the Tyranid mod, as i may play as them some time. VH, Out.

Bloo
24th February 2008, 07:44 PM
Personally, I think we should wait for Soulstorms to come out and get that as well. Then do another campaign/crusade like Chazlene's (but everyone will need to be on TS, otherwise it just won't work).

Pheonix
24th February 2008, 09:10 PM
Never heard of soulstorms, is that an expansion? and ill be on TS :D

Bloo
24th February 2008, 11:00 PM
Soulstorms in the next expansion yes, it adds the Sisters of Battle and the Dark Eldar factions, no 'nids i'm afraid.

Hutch
24th February 2008, 11:03 PM
ITS SOULSTORM... its not plural.

Bloo
24th February 2008, 11:10 PM
Actually it's Warhammer 40,000: Dawn of War - Soulstorm. FOOL!

Vicious Horizon
28th February 2008, 06:55 PM
Hmm, The 'nids are coming out in a mod, so i don't think that W40K are going to add the Tyranids, seeing as the amount of time been put into it. (Yes, the THQ team do know about the mod.)

And what's TS?

Isphera
28th February 2008, 06:59 PM
Just because a mod has had a lot of time put into it doesn't mean the developers won't make an official version.

Hutch
28th February 2008, 07:04 PM
Relic said they weren't putting in the Tyrannids, not because of the mod but the effort on their part in making it work well before they heard of the mod. They said that the platform wasn't built with flight in mind, let alone Tyrranids, they have flight, but the horde structure of Tyrannids might not fit well on the game's code as it is now. That said, DOW 2 is now rumoured to be in production, which probably will have said alien swarm.

Vicious Horizon
28th February 2008, 07:05 PM
Point taken, (Does this count as a necro? Seeing as it is still in process..)