PDA

View Full Version : Ressurect my dead PC, Anyone?

Vicious Horizon
26th January 2008, 01:35 PM
Well, As most of you know, i have a laptop, which doesn't run anything (Thanks to Vista) so i get hardly any time on the other laptop which is my mums, which does run stuff. But i have an oldschool PC which at the beginning of last summer crashed (The Vista BETA my dad forced me to use ran out) and i re-installed XP, no i'm not an idiot i did it right, i've done it lots before. But it runs for 1 day, and goes onto "The dreaded loop" where it says windows didn't shut down correctly, if i select anything it looks like its about to work, e.g it has the XP loading screen and it happens again, safe mode has similar results.

Vicious Horizon
26th January 2008, 02:00 PM
: o i also remember that I have an ATi graph cards, but i had that installed before, and that after it kept crashing i got a new hard-drive, installed that but it happened again.

Hutch
26th January 2008, 02:04 PM
when you install windows XP do you install it with SP2, or are you using the auto updater from microsoft to update it to SP2?

Vicious Horizon
26th January 2008, 02:09 PM
Auto-updater. I have to run by all of the updates to get it up to scratch, i try not updating, i try critical only, and all updates. But all have the same result.

Hutch
26th January 2008, 02:19 PM
Yeah, dont update to SP2 at all using the auto updater, my PC kept dying after installing SP2 like that for some reason

Get it on a disc or the non microsoft autoupdate version. I couldnt be arsed with SP2 on it anyway as all it gets used for now is an extra harddrive, word processor and something for firefox to run on and have a new PC of my own.

Get SP3 here: http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=75ed934c-8423-4386-ad98-36b124a720aa&DisplayLang=en as a standalone.

Vicious Horizon
26th January 2008, 02:51 PM
Alright cool, As soon as i can manage to get my old monitor back off my dad i'll try it.