PDA

View Full Version : New motherboard recommendation?

Paper Tiger
29th March 2008, 06:28 PM
Want to build a new PC, have a few components in mind already.

One thing is stumping me though... The motherboard...

What you guys recommend?

Cheers,

Gary.

ez64
29th March 2008, 06:36 PM
I would go for the intel sockets these days AMD are in a world of problems but lets not get into that debate as I was a avid AMD fan.

whats your bugdet would be the main question and what expandibility are you looking for aka DDR3 support/dual pci-e 16x lanes for real SLI?>

Paper Tiger
29th March 2008, 06:38 PM
Maybe DDR3, but I plan for SLI in this system.

Budget is whatever I feel like really... Max of £1000-£1200 really

ez64
29th March 2008, 06:40 PM
ohhhh nice, Il just have a look around.

1. Quad cores are really really cheap so go for the cheaper ones and over clock it to get your money’s worth.
2.9800gt/8800gtx performance increase aren’t substantial enough to warrant the price difference so go for a 8800gtx
3. Get a motherboard that supports FULL two lane 16x pci-e lanes these will only be on the £100 boards or over and make sure they have at least four SATA2 ports.
4. PSU id say stay away from akasa and don’t cheap out on this option as bad capacitors and AC/DC converters ruin your system over a long time and tend not to like spikes, 750w is all you really need. Enermax are the best and I wouldn’t stop recommending them.
5. You could go for a blu-ray reader but I see them as a huge waste of money and just for e-peen, ps3 is the answer for those silly prices.
6. If you’re spending 1k-1.2k you want something you can aprreciate your system on, since the 24"'s are so cheap these days at around the £200 mark I would say go for that size.
7. Cases are more of a personal preference if you don’t need 39 HDD's.
8. HDD's go for a 150gb raptor to run your O/S and buy a 1tb Seagate barracuda for storage as there only around £138 now and 750's are at £117 so it’s a waste not going for a 1tb drive.
9. Mice and keyboard again are personal preference; MX518 mice have stood the test of time well more than anything else.
10. Go for everything sata including the DVDRW/CDRW drive try not to have IDE running on your system as you can turn a lot of crappy controllers off in your BIOS then.

This is just a quick summary and my speeeeling and grAm33r is awful but I hope it helps.

Hardietbh
29th March 2008, 06:54 PM
Ill build one now xD

will edit in 10 minutes

EDIT: what do you think of this?

http://img503.imageshack.us/img503/2310/computerot2.jpg

Paper Tiger
29th March 2008, 07:13 PM
Can take off the 320gb...
Was looking at a quadcore... for less actually.. Clocked at 2.4GHz
The card.... Compared to the older series? What's the quality difference and is it worth the extra money?

Other than that... Nice.

ez64
29th March 2008, 07:18 PM
The HDD is a very bad make the Ram is slow for a quadcore in overclocking ability terms.

A core2duo system for £1200 pff

The 9800 is only a few points better in 3d mark than the 8800 so wasted money there.

and a even worse 80gb drive

sorry to be so blunt

Ill make one in a sec.

Ok made it its a little over but this one includes a screen and everything you need to get your pc running, and of course you may just want a 22" not a 24".

http://img142.imageshack.us/img142/8107/systemer9.jpg

and this beast can really handle overclocking the old 800mhz stuff cannot handle anything over.

Hutch
29th March 2008, 07:20 PM
GO QUAD!!!!

9800x2 isnt anything new, its just 2 8 series cards glued together. Running 2 8800s in sli is better.

Paper Tiger
29th March 2008, 07:21 PM
That's what I planned to do actually...

Hardietbh
29th March 2008, 07:26 PM
tbh no point getting the Q6600 and the 8400 is alot better than it the RAM is decent in mine as it is 800mhz and it good for the price and the 9800x2 blows to 8800 anyday if you look at the benchmarks

Hutch
29th March 2008, 07:30 PM
Q6600 g0 is overclockable to over 3GHz, its one of the best intel chips for ocing, and you get 4 cores as opposed to 2, its also alot cheaper.

Chalex4
29th March 2008, 07:32 PM
I don't agree much with Hardie's suggestions, especially because the 9800GX2 is a complete waste of cash when the 9 series is just to bridge the gap between the 8 series and real next gen coming out later this year. A 850W PSU is complete overkill, and the RAM takes up so much space that you can only have 2 modules in at any one time.

Anyway, here are my suggestions:

http://www.atkcommunity.com/chalex4/paper_tiger_pc.png

The above system is very similar to my own, with the same CPU, heatsink & fan, GFX card, case, optical drive, and motherboard. You won't be disappointed if you overclock the hell out of the Q6600, mine got to 3.6GHz easily and heat was no issue at all. The motherboard is excellent, and perfect for overclocking. It does not support DDR3 or SLi, but to be honest, I feel that SLi is a complete waste of time anyway, when you might as well spend the money on a better single GFX card. The motherboard does support crossfire though, and CrossfireX when it is completed, which in my opinion looks to be better.

The RAM above is not the same as mine as I have the 8000 version, but I can definitely say that G.Skill are a good brand to go with in terms of performance memory. Make sure you go for a modular PSU by the way, makes cable tidying much easier :D. The GFX card is great, and is very easy to overclock to 775MHz like I have. I run everything on full graphics, with the only exception being Crysis, but then again noone can run that on full :cool:. Only things I haven't included are a sound card and operating system. I have the Creative soundblaster extreme gamer fatality and it is serving me well. Hope all that helps!

Hardietbh
29th March 2008, 07:36 PM
Q6600 g0 is overclockable to over 3GHz, its one of the best intel chips for ocing, and you get 4 cores as opposed to 2, its also alot cheaper.

but would you use 4 cores no, the E8400 has been OC'd to 4.2ghz on Air so that it probably the better OCer

oh and gary you said you had a few components in your mind what are they?

and chalex's PC is good aswell, didint know you wanted a Screen aswell

Chalex4
29th March 2008, 07:38 PM
Whether to get a dual or quad core entirely depends on what you are going to be doing. I do a lot of running servers (especially at LANs :D), encoding, video editing etc so it is definitely worth it for me. If you are into gaming then getting a dual core is probably the best idea.

HOWEVER this all depends on whether you are going to be overclocking or not. If you are going to be overclocking a quad core like I have, then you will find that it is as good as, if not better, than a dual core when it comes to gaming. However, there are the cases where you may be able to overclock a dual core more than a quad simply because of the heat output, so you will be better in games....you can see how this goes in circles !!

Hardietbh
29th March 2008, 07:41 PM
i think we need a bit more information on what you are going to do with the computer.

are you going to be gaming on it? if so are you looking to play the newer games that come out in the future or are you sticking with the games you have right now.

Isphera
29th March 2008, 07:42 PM
Hardie - when did we let you back in?

Hardietbh
29th March 2008, 07:43 PM
Hardie - when did we let you back in?

who said anyone did?

im just trying to help him ive posted before without anyone saying i cant.

Chalex4
29th March 2008, 07:44 PM
Oricalcos, I appreciate your concern but I was rather enjoying the lack of bitching in this thread. I believe that he was never banned, sNk was the one who was in the end (could be wrong).

Now, can we continue our discussions?

Paper Tiger
29th March 2008, 07:57 PM
Cheers for the help guys =]

Was looking at a quadcore...

I just got a new monitor, 17", 2ms refresh, but I like running duals, so I'd get another of the same. Besides, I don't think my room will support a 24"... Although, would be VERY nice!!

I like the look of the Antec 900 case

It will be mainly gaming to be honest.

The ones I had in mind were the Q6600... The Antec 900 for sure... Creative X-FI Xtreme Gamer Soundcard...

That's about it at the moment.

Paper Tiger
29th March 2008, 07:58 PM
Oh... and a combination of both with the games. New and old.

ez64
29th March 2008, 07:59 PM
LOL

reminds me of family guy

"Meg Who Let You Into The House?"

Hutch
29th March 2008, 09:34 PM
You dont need a soundcard really, its really just for pretentious audiophiles, and if you are going to get vista like the pr0s, it causes more problems.You can still have decent 7.1 (usually 5.1 for most people) sound from your mobos onboard, and in fact the integrated ones are getting better. I would leave the soundcard for a later date.

Also Quadcores require very little energy compared to any AMDs

ez64
29th March 2008, 09:53 PM
Im buying a soundcard for the exact reason that only stereo output works on my intergrated 7.1 and mic input doesnt work on it via vista.

Hutch
29th March 2008, 09:57 PM
Mine required a little fiddling with teamspeak, but it works now... Creative cards have problems with vista though ez.

Paper Tiger
29th March 2008, 10:13 PM
I'm sticking to XP.

VoX
29th March 2008, 10:15 PM
Here's one Midge made ages ago for me for a much cheaper price but parents would only let me have after exams.

http://img266.imageshack.us/img266/4319/callumcomphg7.jpg

ez64
29th March 2008, 10:28 PM
just need to take that ram and hdd out and thats a very nice system.

Hutch
29th March 2008, 10:29 PM
Yeah but tbh if you dont have vista you only need about 200GB HDD if you arent video editing. Just get a cheaper one.

ez64
29th March 2008, 10:35 PM
but would you use 4 cores no

The most idiotic statment Ive ever heard.

in the early days with the first quadcores on server systems NOT intel consumer quads was where you had to set each process mannually to a core.

I cannot be bothered to go into it but theres a massive difference between a dual and a quad.

also please get more than 800mhz if you playing to OC your CPU.

Hardietbh
29th March 2008, 11:21 PM
wait so how have i oc'ed my E6550 to 3.2ghz when at stock its 2.3?

and thats with 667mghz ram

oh and an 8600 is a bad card tbh and if you want proof ill post it

Hutch
29th March 2008, 11:28 PM
its not a bad budget card...

Your ram is crap hardie... 800Mhz is what i've got.

Hardietbh
29th March 2008, 11:40 PM
its not a bad budget card...

Your ram is crap hardie... 800Mhz is what i've got.

i know mines crap but im saying you can OC at the mghz because ive done it 800 is decent aswell