PDA

View Full Version : 32bit vs 64bit

VoX
3rd April 2008, 05:56 PM
I know roughly the difference between 32 and 64bit OS's and that 32 works better with a lower amount of RAM but above a certain amount, you need a 64bit OS.

What amount can you go to without needing 64bit and what does this do performance wise (other than the speed due to the large amount of RAM.)

Chalex4
3rd April 2008, 06:02 PM
32 bit can support up to 4GB of RAM although you are more than likely to only see and be able to use about 3.25GB of that.

An interesting thing to note however is that if you put 4GB of RAM in a 64 bit OS then you would see the full 4GB but since 64 bit by nature will use more of that RAM when running the same programs, it will perform in a very similar way to a 32 bit OS with the same amount of RAM. So, if you want to go 64 bit, I recommend that you only do so with 8GB of RAM or more.

ez64
3rd April 2008, 08:19 PM
The Microsoft windows 32bit O/S can only address 2.5gb of ram max using the /PAE switch you can see up to 3.2gb but its more snake oil than a working around.

If you’re planning to run 3 GB or more ram go to 64 bit vista, there’s nothing in the 32bit version of vista that isn’t supported in the 64bit version it in fact supports many more hardware devices and a lot more software.

All of your old 32bit programs work perfectly there’s not real performance benefit apart from properly addressing and using 100% of 3 gb+ ram

If you can run it and your using 3gb of ram or more run it.

xp x64 is a different matter I wouldnt go there unless your willing to tweak.

Mr.Big
3rd April 2008, 09:54 PM
lol, in iceland, in one shop, the windows xp, 32bit costed the same as 64bit hah