PDA

View Full Version : Suggestion: Server wise

silentlord.2008
13th April 2008, 12:03 AM
to start, i am not taking credit for this Daemon takes the credit.

the suggestion is to change the TF2 server to a BF2 sandbox or just normal because most of the community play BF2, because i feel that TF2 is dying out :P.

but i beleave that Chalex might not read this or just say "this is not good blah blah blah" and then delete the post.

lest vote on this ok, you will have to pick an answer and post a reason y.

(chalex if u read this and we have more then 6 votes on yes, you will have to do it)

thanx for reading, like i said daemon takes the credit not me.

the "don't care" option is just for people that don't care LOL

Isphera
13th April 2008, 12:05 AM
Honestly, I am not too fussed, but I will go along with the majority decision, whatever that may be.

Snerfs
13th April 2008, 12:08 AM
come on, its a fact that hardly anyone plays TF2, and more people are playing BF2. Therefore, it is better to have a BF2 server, yes?

Chalex4
13th April 2008, 12:43 AM
Thing is that often you guys pester me over and over again for a new server, then you rarely ever use it. A good example of this is the CoD4 server. Also, are there not loads of empty sandbox server anyway? How would having our own server be of great benefit to us? Even if you just wanted a normal BF2 server, would you guys actually play on it since it would probably be empty most of the time? I asked this before getting the CoD4 server up, but it has hardly been used...

While it is easy to think about switching the TF2 server to BF2, I would still have to contact DCH about this which always takes time. Setting up the CoD4 server took about a month, and I cannot see it being any quicker this time. Also, since it is not just a simple BF2 server you want, and you want the sandbox mod installed, this will take longer as well.

If we had a dedicated machine, this would be a completely different story and I would be able to set up a server from scratch within an hour of the request. However, I will be making a post about this when the exams are over since DCH has given us an excellent deal on a very high spec server that would easily be affordable with about 3-5 more subscriptions.

but i beleave that Chalex might not read this or just say "this is not good blah blah blah" and then delete the post.

I also do not appreciate comments such as this. I never delete threads/posts unless there is an extremely good reason to do so, such as racism or malicious activities that threaten the site and its users. You should know this, and on most sites where people annoy the administrator, they are banned promptly. Do not let that happen.

If the majority wants a BF2 server, I will inquire about getting them to install it and will report back as soon as possible :).

Hutch
13th April 2008, 12:44 AM
We rarely play BF2 long enough to warrant it, and its a dead game, so I don't really care, but would want to play TF2 more.

silentlord.2008
13th April 2008, 12:48 AM
Thing is that often you guys pester me over and over again for a new server, then you rarely ever use it. A good example of this is the CoD4 server. Also, are there not loads of empty sandbox server anyway? How would having our own server be of great benefit to us?

While it is easy to think about switching the TF2 server to BF2, I would still have to contact DCH about this which always takes time. Setting up the CoD4 server took about a month, and I cannot see it being any quicker this time. Also, since it is not just a simple BF2 server you want, and you want the sandbox mod installed, this will take longer as well.

If we had a dedicated machine, this would be a completely different story and I would be able to set up a server from scratch within an hour of the request. However, I will be making a post about this when the exams are over since DCH has given us an excellent deal on a very high spec server that would easily be affordable with about 3-5 more subscriptions.

I also do not appreciate comments such as this. I never delete threads/posts unless there is an extremely good reason to do so, such as racism or malicious activities that threaten the site and its users. You should know this, and on most sites where people annoy the administrator, they are banned promptly. Do not let that happen.

If the majority wants a BF2 server, I will inquire about getting them to install it and will report back as soon as possible :).

alrite then sorry for posting the last bit, but i will be with oric on this one we won't need a dedi machine becuase not alot of people play on our servers.

so i'm sorry but i will not accept this :) JOKES, this is not asking it is just surgesting

Mr.Big
13th April 2008, 12:54 AM
yeah we really need to cancel the cod4 server, IVE NEVER EVER SEEN ANY1 ON IT
and yeeah the tf2 server is a mistake 2 :P

Snerfs
13th April 2008, 12:55 AM
were on about the TF2 server, but yes Mr. Big, i never see it active at all with a top of 2 or 3 people at most. and the TF2 server havent been busy at all for weeks or months has it?

silentlord.2008
13th April 2008, 01:13 AM
were on about the TF2 server, but yes Mr. Big, i never see it active at all with a top of 2 or 3 people at most. and the TF2 server havent been busy at all for weeks or months has it?

i aggree

the witch
13th April 2008, 11:06 AM
First post in ages, but if the servers are not being used to there full potential why not do something about it? i.e. make a scheduler on when community games will be held on the servers, and let people add there names to it. An example of what i mean can be seen here:

example1http://img208.imageshack.us/img208/274/79081725up9.th.jpg (http://img208.imageshack.us/my.php?image=79081725up9.jpg)
example2http://img98.imageshack.us/img98/662/example3nm3.th.jpg (http://img98.imageshack.us/my.php?image=example3nm3.jpg)
example3http://img228.imageshack.us/img228/4633/example4rt4.th.jpg (http://img228.imageshack.us/my.php?image=example4rt4.jpg)

This will not only help get the servers populated but it will make everyone feel more involded and help bring members togather , it can also be used for non server based games such as starcraft or dawn of war.
Alternitivly why not give a community-based clan admin rites on the server and allow them to use it for matches etc that way it will become populated aswell as a giving us the potential to gain more members.

In my opinion i feel that the problems not that the servers arnt populated but as a community we only really use the fourms and teamspeak with a few of us meeting to play css like games, we dont really play any games as a whole community and thats why we dont have many new members. I also feel that we put to much responsibility on chalex to organise things , yes he is the head admin but theres no reason why we cant start a thread and see if people want to play a game of dow or something. If only two people are intrested its still a start...

Isphera
13th April 2008, 11:21 AM
Alternitivly why not give a community-based clan admin rites on the server and allow them to use it for matches etc that way it will become populated aswell as a giving us the potential to gain more members.

Problem with this is that if the wrong people are given admin, and they subseqently misuse it, then it is likely to end up with events similar to those currently occuring.

And with the scheduler - I agree that it is a good idea, but I see two problem's with it. One, is it relatively simple to use, set up, read and participate in, and Two, even if events were scheduled a week in advance, it is unlikely that a substantial will 'attend', because it may be a time that they are unavailible for, or that they just don't want to play that game at that particular moment.

Honestly, a more 'ad-hoc' approach seems to fit the community rather than using an infrastructurial system. (If infrastructurial is a word)

CILLIT BANG
14th April 2008, 02:43 PM
NO FUKIN BF2
I DNT PLAY EITHER
WHY PLAY BF2
IT WAS FINE THEN IT GOT FUCKED UP BY PATCHES
EA HAS GIVEN UP ON IT SO GET THE HINT ITS SHIT
-_- GOD U PPL NEED 2 READ UP ON THIS STUFF

gogo caps

VoX
14th April 2008, 02:58 PM
Well it's worth a try I reckon.

It is really easy to set up Oric, you basically have two sets of server configs: match.cfg and public.cfg (you cna change the names but this is self explanatory) after that you make a new Mani group for CL's and they have the right to execute both configs through Mani's restricted RCON.

That's how it is done for CSS/Valve games anyway.

Bloo
14th April 2008, 03:50 PM
Really, I reckon we should just have the Fun Map server, because we all play on that, and scrap all the other servers, except perhaps hide and seek since random people play on that.

(Note the following is personal opinion, feel free to disagree)
BF2, CoD4 and TF2 are more fun where there are more people, CSS isn't because more people = longer time till you respawn, which is why it's fun with only 3-4 per team, which fits us fine because we only have about dozen users anyway. This is why the fun maps and such work, and why the others don't.

Soo.. yeah, I suggest we just scrap half the servers for now.

silentlord.2008
14th April 2008, 07:16 PM
i am kinda agreeing with you bloo, but it will be fun to have 3 servers but the last one might be better on CSS surf only which if it is on matrix aload of people will join,

(and i will help moderate it and make sure nothing fucks up)

VoX
14th April 2008, 07:26 PM
I reckon Bloo's right there, go for one Fun, one Surf and a Hide 'n' Seek. It would suit everyone.

Bloo
14th April 2008, 07:27 PM
Hmm, didn't think of that, good idea there silentlord! ;)

silentlord.2008
15th April 2008, 12:17 AM
YEAH, i made an idea :P, i must add i will allways be on the surf cause i am boring like that.

the witch
15th April 2008, 12:28 AM
Surf-Servers with the RPG mod are always packed out , maybe be a good idea to consider putting that on the surf server? Guaranteed way of getting regulars plus the possibility of selling credits as extra income for the community.

Hutch
15th April 2008, 12:51 AM
Don't like RPG Mod, its addictive to some to the point of being worse than a wow player, and to others its a put off when someone is level 200 and you are level 1 and theres no way that you can beat them or level up to something reasonable in the 30 minute gap in your busy schedule.

Isphera
15th April 2008, 09:52 AM
Actually, for once, /agree with Hutch. Last I remember, we had an RPG server and we had two or three people that were always on our server, and they leveled to the max, and just raped everyone constantly, making it no fun for anyone else. So that is why RPG is crap.

Darkeagle
15th April 2008, 12:08 PM
I agree, personally i hate rpg, But it would Pack the server out and there are chances to make money from it.

VoX
15th April 2008, 04:32 PM
Totaly agree, RPG mod sucks so much because of how uneven it is.

They should make a reverse RPG much like a reverse GunGame, basically as you level, you loose abilities, it would just level out the field.