Thread: Review: Football Manager 2009

Review: Football Manager 2009

With Football Manager 2007 and 2008 replacing the dying franchise that is Championship Manager, many people thought that the next addition to this growing phenomenon would be a dud. This is not the case.

The developers have managed to please everyone with this new release, listening to the ever growing fan base with fixes and improvements, but also bringing in a completely new factor, the 3D engine.

The 3D engine works like a dream, adding a whole new dimension to how you watch your match. If not just for the presentational point of view, the new engine lets you see how you are playing, and any changes you make tactic wise you can see in the game. True the graphics are no where near FIFA 09 standards, but they don't need to be, simplicity is what makes the game so brilliant.

Also new is the assistant manager feedback in match. This is not so good, and call me insecure, but I don't like my second in command every small tiny problem. Maybe it was just me, but I felt that it would have worked better if the assistant pointed out the major problems. I say this because, although my assistant highlighted a full list of problems with my team, I won the majority of games. I hired many different assistants to see if it was just him, but they all seem to have the same flaw.

Player preferred moves are another new feature. it's now possible to ask players to 'stop trying to lob the keeper', 'make runs down the wing', 'make placed shots on goal' and other such things. I feel this could have gone into a bit more detail, but its a new feature and so we must hope it will grow in time.

Press conferences soon become a regular part of your life as manager, speaking to the press before and after each match. What you say can make a real difference. You have to be careful in what you say, as some answers can lead you in trouble. I thought this was a great feature, but 10 games into the season it started to wear a bit thin.

The Database of players is as detailed as ever, so good in fact, that small real life clubs ( and supposedly Everton ) have used it to scout for talent.

The addiction level is as high as ever, and with all these new features the game has reached new heights.

Overall the game has not fallen into re-releasing a past game with a new title, and is clearly evident that the creators have tried. It gets better every year, and is a definite buy for any one who likes football, and thinks they know better than the managers on TV today. I did, and I can tell you, I was right!

17:42 - Colonel Mitch |ATK|: DE IS NOT A NOOB

Gamer IDs

XFIRE ID: chalex4 Steam ID: chalex4

Re: Review: Football Manager 2009

Great review. I have never played any of the Football Manager series, but now at least know what it's all about!
    Quote Originally Posted by ez64
    chalex has so much control we control ourselves

That was a t-totally great review, u need to highlight the addiction level, it goes from u buyin the game an leading a normal life to speading every spare minute of your life makingyour division 2 team reach the premiership

Company I worked for for a bit made Championship manager 2005-7 XD
    Take that ya one-eyed, bomb-lobbin', cactus eatin', pot bellied, thug fat jigglin-chicken whoopin' big, back-stabbin lob-armed creepy spastic bloody, blind-eyed pashy little twitchy pickle-headed rocke- hoppin, potato-poppin' phony two-faced stealthy mutant bastard!

Thread Information