Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: i37 broke my PC.

Re: I37 broke my PC.

Yeh lets be honest a hamster in a wheel could run a pc if it ran fast enough, you don't need a ridiculous psu unless your gunna overclock

Gamer IDs

Steam ID: chazlene

Quote Originally Posted by Colonel Mitch View Post
    Its not like chaz is ever gunna push it...
    Ooh I don't know Mitch, who knows what I might do...

And probs don't want to go back down to a 450W, since my current is 500W. I'll have a look at the ones you suggested Phant and Vox, cheers for posting them.
    "If at first you don't succeed, spend a lot of money to have a professional do it for you."

My Battlelog

That 450W has put out about 570W at load or so according to a review, and an E7200, 8800GT and a single HDD won't really push it.

A PSU calculator says you will use roughly 339W at 100% load, so I wouldn't worry about a 450W PSU being underpowered.

lol I had a 450w and it died in my pc, u may aswell just get a 550 + because there not really anymore expensive unless you get a lol expensive one
    Last edited by Target; 11th August 2009 at 07:23 PM. Reason: Obvious typo was obvious

Gamer IDs

Steam ID: 76561197977918917

Wattage means shit when comparing PSUs.

A good quality (more efficient) 500 watt PSU will supply more power than a bad quality (read: cheap) 800 watt PSU. The cheaper PSU will also have more chance of dying and possibly taking out other components with it.

The PSU is the core of a system, and to be quite frank you'd have to be rather stupid (or careless) to buy a budget one for £10.

i7 920@3.8 | GTX280 | HAF 932 | 6GB | Corsair 520W
    Hazro 24" | Logitech Illuminated | G500 | Creative 2.0 | Nikon D3100

Gamer IDs

Steam ID: Pierd1989

Quote Originally Posted by Phantom View Post
    Wattage means shit when comparing PSUs.

A good quality (more efficient) 500 watt PSU will supply more power than a bad quality (read: cheap) 800 watt PSU. The cheaper PSU will also have more chance of dying and possibly taking out other components with it.

The PSU is the core of a system, and to be quite frank you'd have to be rather stupid (or careless) to buy a budget one for £10.
    Quite frankly :P You're wrong.

As ive said before ive build tens of pcs and all with budget psus and never had a single problem.

All 16 of the nest pcs, my server, my pc, 2 other pcs of mine, my parents pc, freddies pc, fr4eddies sisters pc, chrises pc, 3 of my dads friends and a couple of my other friends and NEVER had a problem with a cheap psu.

Gamer IDs

Steam ID: 76561197977918917

Quote Originally Posted by Colonel Mitch View Post
    Quite frankly :P You're wrong.

As ive said before ive build tens of pcs and all with budget psus and never had a single problem.

All 16 of the nest pcs, my server, my pc, 2 other pcs of mine, my parents pc, freddies pc, fr4eddies sisters pc, chrises pc, 3 of my dads friends and a couple of my other friends and NEVER had a problem with a cheap psu.
    I swear we've had this argument before..

i7 920@3.8 | GTX280 | HAF 932 | 6GB | Corsair 520W
    Hazro 24" | Logitech Illuminated | G500 | Creative 2.0 | Nikon D3100

And we always win as cheap stock psu's win unless you have a ridiculous powerful pc mega overclocked or you just dont buy one powerful enough for the job

Gamer IDs

Quote Originally Posted by Phantom View Post
    I swear we've had this argument before..
    Indeed we have, also i forgot the several people I built pcs for at the nest as customers xD

Bang! bang! bang! And the psu is gone!

Gamer IDs

Quote Originally Posted by Lexity View Post
    Bang! bang! bang! And the psu is gone!
    The only PSU ive had go bang is the expensive 1 i bought for my pc before i31. It literally exploded.

Gamer IDs

Steam ID: chazlene

This is worse than I thought guys... had an expert come round this morning who brought another PSU to test out, but that didn't work, so we can rule out the PSU being broken. We unplugged each component separately to see if it would then work... still no luck. So I guess I could narrow it down to the motherboard or processor being knackered, but can't be sure since we couldn't easily test those. What is weird though is when I try to turn it on having switched the power supply on and off, the fan on the CPU does spin for a second then stops... any more suggestions on what it could be?

I might have to end up trying to get my money back on the warranty for the motherboard, keeping the graphics card, hard-drive, etc. and buying some bundle or backbone with a motherboard and processor already in place.
    "If at first you don't succeed, spend a lot of money to have a professional do it for you."

My Battlelog

With a dead processor the fans/mobo should still power up and run not just cut out.

Remove the Processor and ram and graphics card then bootup again and see if the fans stay on.

Gamer IDs

Quote Originally Posted by ez64 View Post
    With a dead processor the fans/mobo should still power up and run not just cut out.

Remove the Processor and ram and graphics card then bootup again and see if the fans stay on.
    /agree

If that doesnt work try removing every component (including button cables) from the board, plug in only the 20+4 pin power conenctor and use a screwdriver to jump the on terminal.

If it still doesnt stay on then the boards fubar'd.

Well you are in luck that Asus boards have a 3 year warranty, as long as you can be definite the board is kaput, then you can get yourself another P5Q for free (You may have to pay shipping though, and with Asus that's near Japan somewhere afaik )

Thread Information