Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Avatar Discussion

Re: Avatar Discussion

Yeh this film was amazin, actually wana watch it again rite now, mite be one of the films i mite actually buy Really worth watchin and if you can go to Imax or see in 3d think it would be well worth it TBH

Gamer IDs

Steam ID: 76561197977918917

This film was a masterpiece.

i7 920@3.8 | GTX280 | HAF 932 | 6GB | Corsair 520W
    Hazro 24" | Logitech Illuminated | G500 | Creative 2.0 | Nikon D3100

Gamer IDs

Steam ID: bloodeck

Storytelling was decent, it did make great use of Checkov's Gun (something small at the start of the film becomes more important at the end) but at the same time was nothing special. Storyline itself was about every tale of white man ruining a beautiful native homeland, and struck me as incrediably rubbish. I'd have liked it more if the humans weren't all evil (unless they sympathize with the goodie aliens, where the only bad alien is just a jealous boyfriend). Oh well.

It may be Dances with Smurfs but it looked very pretty and the actual ecology of Pandora is pretty well-realised and like I said, it is very very pretty. But definately not the masterpiece or the best film of the decade like some people are saying.

Gamer IDs

Quote Originally Posted by Bloo View Post
    Storytelling was decent, it did make great use of Checkov's Gun (something small at the start of the film becomes more important at the end) but at the same time was nothing special. Storyline itself was about every tale of white man ruining a beautiful native homeland, and struck me as incrediably rubbish. I'd have liked it more if the humans weren't all evil (unless they sympathize with the goodie aliens, where the only bad alien is just a jealous boyfriend). Oh well.
    I don't understand what you're saying.

Quote Originally Posted by Phantom View Post
    I don't understand what you're saying.
    Does anyone

Gamer IDs

Steam ID: Pierd1989

Going to see it again at IMAX 3D tomorrow night with 2 other friends

Gamer IDs

Just got home from seing it in 3D at IMAX.

Unfortunately i spent a good bit of the film marvelling at the 3D as id never seen it before, playing with what each eye could see, what i can focus on what i cant etc.

But on the battle scenes it was mindblowing - there was a piece where they were blowing up the tree i actually raised my hand to stop a splint of wood hitting me in the face xD.

Also the sound made a huge difference over normal cinema here. each explosion that sent the Na'Vi flying towards the audience was felt through the floor in a powerful yet not overly loud drone.

The 3D definitely detracted from the detail of a normal IMAX showing, but it was more than made up for once we got out of the station and into the CGI world where everything is rendered by computer properly in 3D.

I noticed watching the real people you could actually tell they were recorded on camera, and not rendered in 3d themselves, and in parts with the lab coming toward you and computer displays having depth, the people were like looking at a cardboard cut-out, thankfully tho, with 90% of this film being stunning CGI, after the first 20 mins or so of scene setting, it was simply amazing.

As i said before, for the value of the movie itself, the masterpiece it is (in my opinion), I would not reccomend 3D for the first watching, as it really did take my mind off the movie and what i was watching, but as a re run after you've absorbed the story, it sure makes for a brilliant addition.

When this film comes out on blu ray i will be purchasing a blu ray drive for my pc.
    Last edited by Colonel Mitch; 27th December 2009 at 05:15 AM.

Nice will go to watch it again in the london imax then

My dad's having a look at IMAX showings.
    Take that ya one-eyed, bomb-lobbin', cactus eatin', pot bellied, thug fat jigglin-chicken whoopin' big, back-stabbin lob-armed creepy spastic bloody, blind-eyed pashy little twitchy pickle-headed rocke- hoppin, potato-poppin' phony two-faced stealthy mutant bastard!

Gamer IDs

Quote Originally Posted by Colonel Mitch View Post
    Just got home from seing it in 3D at IMAX.

Unfortunately i spent a good bit of the film marvelling at the 3D as id never seen it before, playing with what each eye could see, what i can focus on what i cant etc.

But on the battle scenes it was mindblowing - there was a piece where they were blowing up the tree i actually raised my hand to stop a splint of wood hitting me in the face xD.

Also the sound made a huge difference over normal cinema here. each explosion that sent the Na'Vi flying towards the audience was felt through the floor in a powerful yet not overly loud drone.

The 3D definitely detracted from the detail of a normal IMAX showing, but it was more than made up for once we got out of the station and into the CGI world where everything is rendered by computer properly in 3D.

I noticed watching the real people you could actually tell they were recorded on camera, and not rendered in 3d themselves, and in parts with the lab coming toward you and computer displays having depth, the people were like looking at a cardboard cut-out, thankfully tho, with 90% of this film being stunning CGI, after the first 20 mins or so of scene setting, it was simply amazing.

As i said before, for the value of the movie itself, the masterpiece it is (in my opinion), I would not reccomend 3D for the first watching, as it really did take my mind off the movie and what i was watching, but as a re run after you've absorbed the story, it sure makes for a brilliant addition.

When this film comes out on blu ray i will be purchasing a blu ray drive for my pc.
    The actual camera footage was captured with special cameras, eye length apart so it is still in 3D. I really want to see it again. Will probably go when I go back to uni.

Gamer IDs

Quote Originally Posted by Phantom View Post
    The actual camera footage was captured with special cameras, eye length apart so it is still in 3D. I really want to see it again. Will probably go when I go back to uni.
    I am aware of this, but the depth doesnt compare to the cgi. On the scenes where hes doing his video log he looks kinda flat compared to everything else.

Thread Information