Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Annoying flickering in Modern Warfare 2

Gamer IDs

Steam ID: Pierd1989

Annoying flickering in Modern Warfare 2

Have had MW2 for pc (obvs) for a good while now and not had a single problem, played with maxed out settings including V sync.

Since installing my new audio card, it flickers and drops fps seemingly randomly (perhaps worse when moving through grass etc or firing at a plaer it always seems to be then lol)

Its starting to get really annoying, updated drivers for GFX and Audio card and still happening.

Tried turning off AA and V-sync and its made no difference.

The way it flickers is like if you were to instantly minimise and maximise the game, it compresses to not quite ft the screen, flickers black and white, and goes back to normal, all in a fraction of a second (tho runs at what will be around 25fps just before and after doing this)

This wouldn't be so bad but over time it gets annoying and its had me killed quite a few times. It happens once or so every few (something like 10-40) seconds when in game.

Also if i get flashed the whole screen flashes normal and white constantly till it wears off, making me completely blind all the way through a flash effectively, theres no chance to aim when u can barley see.

Any ideas?
    Last edited by Colonel Mitch; 18th January 2010 at 03:21 AM.

Re: Annoying flickering in Modern Warfare 2

You have plugged in the power connector for the soundcard, right? Xonar D2X's require a floppy power connector and I'm pretty sure the DX requires the same.

It's God's way of telling you not to buy games that neglect PCs
    Take that ya one-eyed, bomb-lobbin', cactus eatin', pot bellied, thug fat jigglin-chicken whoopin' big, back-stabbin lob-armed creepy spastic bloody, blind-eyed pashy little twitchy pickle-headed rocke- hoppin, potato-poppin' phony two-faced stealthy mutant bastard!

Gamer IDs

Quote Originally Posted by VoX View Post
    You have plugged in the power connector for the soundcard, right? Xonar D2X's require a floppy power connector and I'm pretty sure the DX requires the same.
    No shit...... considering it doesnt work without it. Would be a pretty fucked up problem if it MW2 it flickered and was perfect in everything else due to lack of sound power :P

Gamer IDs

Quote Originally Posted by Vicious Horizon View Post
    It's God's way of telling you not to buy games that neglect PCs
    Unfortunately, this may actually be so...

Well my thought was that MW2 was just causing the card to draw more power and that the card was able to cope with the power taken from the bus during normal usage, this was assuming that the DX would consume less power than the D2X.

Possible annoying solution but have you tried re-installing MW2?

Gamer IDs

Well my thought was that MW2 was just causing the card to draw more power and that the card was able to cope with the power taken from the bus during normal usage, this was assuming that the DX would consume less power than the D2X.

Possible annoying solution but have you tried re-installing MW2?
    It on steam, i verified the files and all were fine, and it works perfectly if i remove the audio card again - thinking about putting it in the spare pci-16x slot rather than the 1x slot the old supremefx came out of, jsut in case thats suposed to only be used witht hat card n cant handle the bandwith or summit.

I thought you had it in the spare x16 slot?

From what I remember from some reviews (of pretty much all mobos that use an x1 card for sound,) the top x1 slot was made purely for the SupremeFX card, so even though it's another audio card there's probably a few things going wrong somewhere as the mobo is most likely thinking it's essentially on-board audio or something of the sort.

CoD always has fail glitches when it comes to sound and shizzle, like in CoD4 if ur mic wasn't plugged in properly then it would crash all the time. Maybe you need to get rid of all your sound drivers and re-install em. Or delete one of the cod config files, dunno which one you might need to check that :S or re-install the game which would be a bitch :P

But really its just down to the fact that fail console port is fail... it prob doesn't support awesome sound because it is epic fail

Gamer IDs

I thought you had it in the spare x16 slot?

From what I remember from some reviews (of pretty much all mobos that use an x1 card for sound,) the top x1 slot was made purely for the SupremeFX card, so even though it's another audio card there's probably a few things going wrong somewhere as the mobo is most likely thinking it's essentially on-board audio or something of the sort.
    I checked several places and it states its a regular 1x slot. Ive moved it into one of the spare 16x now well see how this goes...

UPDATE: Hasn't fixed it, steam updated MW2 as well but no change.

As the audio card encodes in real time using a software based engine, think its possible theyre bother hammering 1 core of my processor at the same time?

UPDATE2: set asus aduio, windows audio and windows localhost audio to realtime and affinity to core 1, and MW2 to core 0, and managed to get through a whole game with no fail at all. could be a fluke but will try in more games and well see
    Last edited by Colonel Mitch; 19th January 2010 at 01:07 AM.

Yeah, actually, thinking about it your problem does ring with accordance with processors being maxed out, gz Mitch, I think you fixed it.
    Take that ya one-eyed, bomb-lobbin', cactus eatin', pot bellied, thug fat jigglin-chicken whoopin' big, back-stabbin lob-armed creepy spastic bloody, blind-eyed pashy little twitchy pickle-headed rocke- hoppin, potato-poppin' phony two-faced stealthy mutant bastard!

Gamer IDs

Its not fixed teh problem completely, it seems to happen less often but still is hapening.

anyone no if its possible to run cod in windowed mode?

That way no crossfire on my 4870x2 and can see cpu usage when on.

If you had a console then yes. you maybe able to launch it in windowed mode through steam, you just need to go to launch properties and put in window or summet like that have a look on teh steam forum

Gamer IDs

Alt + Enter makes it windowed, and seems to fix the problem, but then i get the gay ass border.

The only difference of windowed mode is crossfire is disabled, and this seems to fix it, but as i have a 4870x2 its not like i can just remove teh interconnect or turn it off on a checkbook.... any ideas how to disable an internal crossfire bridge?

EDIT: I think from reading around turning off the catalyst AI should disable it.... lets find out

UPDATE: With catalyst AI disabled it does disable crossfire, but if i go full screen i still get teh same problem - the card revs teh fan to 100% in full screen 2 and doesnt anywhere near in windowed mode - but the thing is on windowed mode it works perfectly.... any ideas.... I hate having the vista border on top and bottom of the game when playing
    Last edited by Colonel Mitch; 20th January 2010 at 11:21 AM.

Upgrade to win 7 it loves nvidia and ati working together

I know it sounds noob but have you tried compat mode?

Thread Information