Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: ATKBBPS 2010 - ON HOLD - Update

Gamer IDs

PSN ID: BrokenMC Steam ID: isphera

ATKBBPS 2010 - ON HOLD - Update

I've been a tad slow in getting the polls up for the first round, and that's likely to continue in the next couple days. Since we shrunk the overview, it has become dominated by BBPS votes, which I don't think is really fair on you guys who are posting damn good threads.

Thusly, I will NOT be posting polls for the rest of this week. Instead, I will be trying to figure out a new schedule which limits the spam on the new threads, but gets the poll series done sooner rather than later. This will most likely entail less polls a day and a longer time period for each.

I'm sure many of you are agreaved at this decision, and I'm also sure many of you will rejoice at the decision, but it needs to be done in order to maintain the feasabilty and enjoyment of the BBPS.

In order to compensate, please enjoy these pictures of kittens.

Last edited by Isphera; 16th March 2010 at 02:52 PM.

Re: ATKBBPS 2010 - ON HOLD - Update

I'm sure there's a way to get the 'latest posts' thing to exclude certain forums, or maybe you can make it show only forums that non-registered users can see, and hide the polls for non-registered, or work something out like that?
    Take that ya one-eyed, bomb-lobbin', cactus eatin', pot bellied, thug fat jigglin-chicken whoopin' big, back-stabbin lob-armed creepy spastic bloody, blind-eyed pashy little twitchy pickle-headed rocke- hoppin, potato-poppin' phony two-faced stealthy mutant bastard!

Gamer IDs

XFIRE ID: chalex4 Steam ID: chalex4

I could make it so that the polls aren't shown on the "latest threads" box, but I'm not sure if that's a good idea since many people look at that box for the latest stuff.
    Quote Originally Posted by ez64
    chalex has so much control we control ourselves

Maybe make a polls box =D
    Take that ya one-eyed, bomb-lobbin', cactus eatin', pot bellied, thug fat jigglin-chicken whoopin' big, back-stabbin lob-armed creepy spastic bloody, blind-eyed pashy little twitchy pickle-headed rocke- hoppin, potato-poppin' phony two-faced stealthy mutant bastard!

hehe... kittens...

Gamer IDs

Steam ID: 76561197977918917

Quote Originally Posted by Chalex4 View Post
    I could make it so that the polls aren't shown on the "latest threads" box, but I'm not sure if that's a good idea since many people look at that box for the latest stuff.
    Do it, have one thread in say general discussion for discussion of the polls and in that thread have a link to all the polls.

i7 920@3.8 | GTX280 | HAF 932 | 6GB | Corsair 520W
    Hazro 24" | Logitech Illuminated | G500 | Creative 2.0 | Nikon D3100

That's probably the best idea Phant.

make the latest threads box bigger again

Just have a little scripted side box to take the latest only from the Polls sub section.

Or even better have a nice format which shows inside the box the latest polls and who is winning so far, im sure it will already be scripted on the internet somewhere.

Gamer IDs

Quote Originally Posted by ez64 View Post
    Just have a little scripted side box to take the latest only from the Polls sub section.

Or even better have a nice format which shows inside the box the latest polls and who is winning so far, im sure it will already be scripted on the internet somewhere.
    I like these ideas a lot. Chalex - Is it possible to get any of these two solutions done?

Gamer IDs

Yes, although I'm going to have to find some space on the homepage for another module.

First though, can you please CLOSE all of the polls that you don't want to be available for voting on the homepage (poll options). Just closing the thread isn't enough.

I also like Phantom's idea, so could you also move all the discussion threads to community chat? After you've done all this I'll remove the poll threads from the "recent threads" box. They'll still be available using the "New Posts" button and via the "Recent Polls" box on the homepage.

Gamer IDs

I set polls to auto-close after a set time peroid (1 day for the first round of the BBPS) so that request is auto-fufilled. I did consider Phant's idea but I prefered ez's.

Gamer IDs

I've added the polls viewer to the homepage, and it'll only show polls from this forum that were created in the last 7 days (unless they are closed).

The strange thing is that although you've set the polls to auto close Oric, they actually haven't. If you look at the options, the "Poll Closed" checkbox isn't ticked. This is probably just a forum bug, but for now you may have to do this manually.

To remove the poll spam I also plan on removing threads in this forum from appearing on the homepage (apart from poll box). What does everyone think of this?

Gamer IDs

I'm cool with it. I'll just post a messege in the overview thread everytime theres a new set of polls up, basically saying 'Lot X of polls is complete, Lot Y of polls are now underway'.

How would it work though, because if it blocks any thread in the Polls board from showing up, then we will have to move the Open Discussion thread to Community Chat.

As a final point - does the poll box display more than one poll at a time, or just the one?
    Last edited by Isphera; 19th March 2010 at 09:55 AM.

Gamer IDs

That's what we were saying Oric. Discussion threads would need to be moved into community chat so that they appear in the recent threads box. Let me know when you've done this.

The homepage poll box only displays one poll at random, from the last 7 days.

Thread Information