Thread: WTS Spare Blizzard Authenticator

Gamer IDs

PSN ID: BrokenMC Steam ID: isphera

WTS Spare Blizzard Authenticator

Seeing as a called this forum useless not a month ago, it seems strange that I am finally using it :P

Basically, I lost my authenticator (same as above), ordered a new one, then proceeded to find the old one. Since I prefer the red warcraft print on the new one, I will be selling my old 'Starcraft 2' designed authenticator.

Basically, these things attach to your Battle.net account (used for WoW, Starcraft II etc) and when you log in, you have to have your password, along with the six digit code that is generated every 15 seconds within the authenticator, done by pushing the button. Bought the first one when I got my account hacked, and it's not that intrusive. Well worth the small fee, since it's about a month of WoW, and it takes longer than that to recover from being hacked (I should know, had money for Cold Weather Flying when hacked, took me six weeks to work it back, also meant my enchanting training took a massive hit, which I still haven't recovered from.)

The one for sale will be free to attach to accounts since I have to unattach the blue one to attach the red one.

Blizz are selling this for £6.50, plus approx £3.50 shipping (from Germany) - for a total of £10. I'd be open to offers around the £7.50-£8 inc. postage, but depending on interest, I may be open to negotiation (something I'm sure you know I'm not open to normally). Payment can be done through PayPal or cheque via recorded delivery.
    Last edited by Isphera; 20th March 2010 at 01:28 PM.

Gamer IDs

Steam ID: 76561197977918917

Re: WTS Spare Blizzard Authenticator

Does it need a wireless connection? I have my iPod which has an authenticator app but i can't use it at uni because it needs wireless.

i7 920@3.8 | GTX280 | HAF 932 | 6GB | Corsair 520W
    Hazro 24" | Logitech Illuminated | G500 | Creative 2.0 | Nikon D3100

Gamer IDs

You don't need any form of internet connection for the authenticator. Not sure how it works exactly, but you just push the button and insert the code it generates.

Also, by activating the authenticator, you get a free in-game Core Hound Pup pet.
    Last edited by Isphera; 20th March 2010 at 02:45 PM.

its just like a serial key generator using a basic algorithm,

any of them will work (might refuse a generated code you have already used)

Gamer IDs

Quote Originally Posted by Oricalcos View Post
    You don't need any form of internet connection for the authenticator. Not sure how it works exactly, but you just push the button and insert the code it generates.

Also, by activating the authenticator, you get a free in-game Core Hound Pup pet.
    But how does the game know what code the authenticator has generated? It needs some way to talk with the game, does it plug in to a USB slot?

Gamer IDs

Steam ID: Pierd1989

Quote Originally Posted by Phantom View Post
    But how does the game know what code the authenticator has generated? It needs some way to talk with the game, does it plug in to a USB slot?
    the game doesnt have any connection to the authenticator - its jsut like the authenticators banks give out for onlkine banking.

Their server knows what a valid code at any given time is, and the authenticator generates one.

Nobody listens to me

Gamer IDs

@ Phant - All I know is that it works and I want to sell my spare one :P. Are you interested?

@ Everyone else - Anyone else interested?
    Last edited by Isphera; 20th March 2010 at 04:47 PM.

Gamer IDs

Quote Originally Posted by Colonel Mitch View Post
    the game doesnt have any connection to the authenticator - its jsut like the authenticators banks give out for onlkine banking.

Their server knows what a valid code at any given time is, and the authenticator generates one.
    It has to, otherwise how is it secure. If what you say is true then any authenticator will work with any account.

Gamer IDs

They can only be associated with any number of Battle.net accounts at a time, but they will work with whatever accounts they are associated with at that time, they will not show you the auth number for another account.

You link them to the account by typing in the serial number on the back of the device.

Now stop asking questions and buy the device already
    Last edited by Isphera; 20th March 2010 at 06:15 PM.

Gamer IDs

Quote Originally Posted by Oricalcos View Post
    They can only be associated with any number of Battle.net accounts at a time, but they will work with whatever accounts they are associated with at that time, they will not show you the auth number for another account.

You link them to the account by typing in the serial number on the back of the device.

Now stop asking questions and buy the device already
    I don't want it, I just don't understand how people can say it does anything without being connected in any way to the game. How else is it supposed to work?

Gamer IDs

Steam ID: Pierd1989

Quote Originally Posted by Phantom View Post
    I don't want it, I just don't understand how people can say it does anything without being connected in any way to the game. How else is it supposed to work?
    look it up phantom.

each device uses its serial number to generate a rolling encrypted code that changes ever set amount of time.

You tie this serial number to your account and then you need the code from the authenticator to log in.

Gamer IDs

XFIRE ID: chalex4 Steam ID: chalex4

I'm assuming you just type in your serial number into the Battle.NET account page, then whenever you need to login it knows what specific device you have and therefore the codes that will be generated and which are valid.

I'd only imagine it wouldn't be secure unless your WoW password and Battle.NET acount are the same. I know nothing about WoW though, and how the logins work.

Am I right (probably not )?
    Quote Originally Posted by ez64
    chalex has so much control we control ourselves

Gamer IDs

Quote Originally Posted by Chalex4 View Post
    I'm assuming you just type in your serial number into the Battle.NET account page, then whenever you need to login it knows what specific device you have and therefore the codes that will be generated and which are valid.

I'd only imagine it wouldn't be secure unless your WoW password and Battle.NET acount are the same. I know nothing about WoW though, and how the logins work.

Am I right (probably not )?
    You WoW login IS you Battle.net account. They merged them, so that all their games (WoW, SC2, and Diablo 3) will be completely linked together, they've said that you can chat to SC2 players while playing WoW, have linked achievements and ranks, etc etc.

Gamer IDs

XFIRE ID: chalex4 Steam ID: chalex4

Oh, you can tell I've never played any of these games. Just forget I mentionned 2 accounts then, I guess it still works in a similar way.
    Quote Originally Posted by ez64
    chalex has so much control we control ourselves

Thread Information