Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Want to make a game?

Gamer IDs

Steam ID: 76561197977918917

Want to make a game?

So I'm feeling pretty confident with Unity3D, the tool I've been using to make the game for my uni course. I think as a community we could team up to make a simple game we could call our own. We have a few options, a scrolling shooter or static shooter along the lines of this, where the sprites are made by you guys. A 2D side scrolling platform game is also a possibility. If we have enough people willing to make some 3D models we could do a Serious Sam style 'survival' type shooter, or anything else that people can think of.

Another option would be a Source mod, a singleplayer mod like Combine Destiny or Minerva Metastasis. For that we'd need a good level designer (I know we have people here who have made levels in Hammer), a good story, and new guns/possibly enemies. The problem with this is that if our models aren't of a high standard they will stand out like a sore thumb compared to the HL2 models.

Even if you can only provide a few models or sprites that's great, we have to start small and build up.

i7 920@3.8 | GTX280 | HAF 932 | 6GB | Corsair 520W
    Hazro 24" | Logitech Illuminated | G500 | Creative 2.0 | Nikon D3100

Gamer IDs

Steam ID: bloodeck

Re: Want to make a game?

Well, I'd be well up for this if I knew how to make sprites or models. But err, if you need a story writer for a source mod I could spin a yarn if you want.

I'll gladly contribute with anything 2D wise, not really done textures before but may grab max and have a go (time permitting).

Darkpidgeon will most likely be able to do some mapping, I'll point him in this direction.

Yes, i would love to Was thinking of making a source mod/maps a while back, but with coursework and exams been pretty busy.
    Personally id prefer the Source engine, mainly because i know the level editor pretty well, but it is a collective decision

Gamer IDs

Steam ID: chazlene

I think a source mod is a good idea, we won't have to start from scratch.

I haven't done it in a while but I can use Hammer, plus of course produce skins and textures we'll need.
    "If at first you don't succeed, spend a lot of money to have a professional do it for you."

My Battlelog

Gamer IDs

XFIRE ID: chalex4 Steam ID: chalex4

I can do voices . Haha. I might play around with hammer again as well, it'd be good to have more of a team there.

Other than that, I'll of course setup everything that we'll need site-wise. Stuff like a mod mini-site, bugtracker & download hosting can be done very easily. I'd try and keep it as integrated with the current ATK site as possible, so we'd just extend the ATK forums for the mod. Of course, I'd give our admin privilages to those that need it.
    Quote Originally Posted by ez64
    chalex has so much control we control ourselves

Oh one point when level designing, i find that working from concept art or some sort of drawn image works amazingly. so maybe having a few artie type people to create a few sketches maybe when we get to that stage, just a thought.

*Looks at Chaz* haha.

Ohai guyz, thought I'd throw this thread out there, see if you remember what you said about it

http://www.atkcommunity.com/threads/2066-ATK-Mod.

Anyway - I'd gladly help in whatever way I can.
    Take that ya one-eyed, bomb-lobbin', cactus eatin', pot bellied, thug fat jigglin-chicken whoopin' big, back-stabbin lob-armed creepy spastic bloody, blind-eyed pashy little twitchy pickle-headed rocke- hoppin, potato-poppin' phony two-faced stealthy mutant bastard!

...Story. That could be interesting...

Hey, if anyone's interested in messing around with co-op (L4D style stuff), I have a few concepts based around that somewhere in my google docs... it might be a bad idea if no-one's familiar with it though.
    Last edited by D_K_Head; 29th April 2010 at 11:26 AM.

As long as it isn't AoT co-op, Coop would be awesome.
    Take that ya one-eyed, bomb-lobbin', cactus eatin', pot bellied, thug fat jigglin-chicken whoopin' big, back-stabbin lob-armed creepy spastic bloody, blind-eyed pashy little twitchy pickle-headed rocke- hoppin, potato-poppin' phony two-faced stealthy mutant bastard!

Quote Originally Posted by Vicious Horizon View Post
    Ohai guyz, thought I'd throw this thread out there, see if you remember what you said about it

http://www.atkcommunity.com/threads/2066-ATK-Mod.

Anyway - I'd gladly help in whatever way I can.

No offence, but Phantom has a lot more experience and I'd rather work under him than someone with no experience other than voice work.

Keep any story ideas simple guys, anything multiplayer/Co-op is a bitch to do, singleplayer will be the easiest I reckon.

Gamer IDs

Indeed, if we do a source mod it would be singleplayer, basically a custom made map with some scripted events. I have basically no experience modding source except opening it up in VB and oggling at the amount of code there is.

Well if we are modding for source, thats pretty much my area when it comes to level designing, just it works well and easy to mod for
    http://developer.valvesoftware.com/wiki/SDK_Docs
    That basically gives you an A-Z on most parts on the source enginr. like how to make custom objects, code, animations, particles etc. and get them working within the engine.
    Last edited by Calneon; 29th April 2010 at 05:38 PM.

Gamer IDs

Quote Originally Posted by Darkpidgeon View Post
    Well if we are modding for source, thats pretty much my area when it comes to level designing, just it works well and easy to mod for
    http://developer.valvesoftware.com/wiki/SDK_Docs
    That basically gives you an A-Z on most parts on the source enginr. like how to make custom objects, code, animations, particles etc. and get them working within the engine.
    That's what i'm doing now. How much do you know?

Thread Information