Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Radio Revival Wanted

Gamer IDs

PSN ID: BrokenMC Steam ID: isphera

Radio Revival Wanted

OK, I'm bored, sick and tired of not having anything to do other than revision and FM10 at the moment. And quite frankly, I miss the old radio (which I practically hogged when we did have it). I know that I'm not the only one feeling like this.

So I've just spend the last 15 mins looking up what we need to license our radio back up. My the looks of things we would need two things;

A Limited Online Music Licence from PRS - We would need the Limited download/on demand streaming service, which allows us to 'stream specific tracks on an on demand basis', i.e Requests. This is £107 per annum, and allows us 45000 streams in the 12 month period. Owing to how popular it was before, 45000 should more than enough.

A Webcaster Licence from PPL. The fee for this isn't as clear cut (poorly laid out website), but this explains the differences between the two - http://www.ppluk.com/Documents/Infor...ees%202010.pdf.

Now for the main problem - cost. If enough interest can be garnered in terms of getting people to use it, as well as listen, we are willing to come toghther to sort out what we need in terms of licencing and programs, along with getting the setting setup for streaming (Chalex....), then I am very prepared to pay a majority of the fees. Seeing as I was the one that used it the most before, and will likely do so again, it seems fair that I be the one to pay the most. But, this would likely come with a stipulation that I be allowed freer reign in terms of scheduling and what I can play.

Lemme know what you guys can think.

EDIT - If no-one is interested in doing this, then I may run a solo show from here - http://servers.internet-radio.org.uk/features/
    Last edited by Isphera; 21st May 2010 at 03:06 PM.

Re: Radio Revival Wanted

I'm perfectly willing to do a little talking with a few servers, see if we can get it streamed live (simple !Radio script isn't that hard to do in Source), and I'd enjoy joining in and DJing for a while... BUT I can't contribute anything but my voice and support at the moment, due to the fact that I can barely afford games at the moment, and I'm getting close to the point where I have to upgrade.

Also: AC/DC are awesome. That is all.

Gamer IDs

I've getting a playlist sorted for my first show already . I think most of you can guess the first band I'm playing, but after that, I'm game for requests.

Both licences together combine to about £300/year, and this does set a limit of 270000 sound performances (song stream per person, i.e I play one song to 5 people listening, thats 5 performances). Costs on bandwidth I need Chalex to bring up
    Last edited by Isphera; 21st May 2010 at 04:14 PM.

Gamer IDs

XFIRE ID: chalex4 Steam ID: chalex4

This would be EXPENSIVE! Not to mention time consuming. Someone would have to create reports of all the songs that we play, and where the stream is listened to from. Costs would be about £300/year for licencing as Oric said.

To stream at 128Kbps for every hour of the day all month, it'd be 41GB worth of data transferred (57MB/hour). Even doing half a month's steaming that would mean we transfer 20GB which is £10/month. So that's well over £400/year for the costs.

You'd pay and do all that? Personally, I don't think this is worth it for ATK unless at least 4/5 people want to commit to this and help majorly with the costs.

If THAT is the case, then I'd remove the BC2 server to help with this venture.
    Quote Originally Posted by ez64
    chalex has so much control we control ourselves

...I don't think the BC2 server's helping much... half the time we can't get on it, and when we can, it's empty... And I doubt anyone's visited the site because of it...

Servers should have a purpose, you know? Competative play, fun nights, machinima... Then again, I can see radio becoming boring when it turns out we're broadcasting to about five people at peak...

Depends on what benifits the community as a whole

Gamer IDs

I'd be willing to put at least £200 (maybe a bit more) towards it, but I would want a significant say in how a schedule worked, and get first selection of slots (within moderation ofc).

The schedule I had in mind would be two one-hour show slots from 8-10pm on Mon-Thurs, 5 hours from 7-12 midnight on Friday and Saturday, and 8-11 on Sun. It wouldn't be all day because demand wouldn't be there, and we would be somewhat restricted on the number song 'performances' by the licence. Naturally, if the times need to be altered due to demand, then we can, but I don't recommend doing shows during the day, even in summer time.

Back on the slot selection, expect a 2-hour DJ MC show on Fri and Sat
    Last edited by Isphera; 21st May 2010 at 05:18 PM.

Gamer IDs

XFIRE ID: chalex4 Steam ID: chalex4

Alright, well what we need to do is get all the other slots filled in first. There's no point getting it all setup then worrying about scheduling.

I suggest something like "ATK Radio:: 7pm-midnight (Mon-Thurs), 6pm-1am (Friday-Sun)".

Can everyone say which slots they would like and I'm sure Oric can draw up some kind of timetable. I want to see how well this would work.
    Quote Originally Posted by ez64
    chalex has so much control we control ourselves

Gamer IDs

Your setup seems more logical Chalex, so we can run with that. In terms of the show, have a brief idea what you wanna do with it (ie. How much music, what you wanna discuss between each song, and what type of music you'll play, or will you try to fit all genres in at once.) With a one hour show, you could probs get away with one subtype, but for a two hour show, your gonna need to vary it up a bit (which means my weekend shows will not all be BB/TDG/Chevelle lovefests). A new music show would be pretty sweet as well.

In terms of slots, I'd be interested in doing 8-10pm on Fri and Saturday, and possibly a one hour show during the week (depends on demand). Post in here what slots you want and i'll figure it out. Have a couple in mind, so if there is conflict over some slots, we can move people around.

I'd be able to take mondays, since I'm not up to much in the afternoons then, so...

More than happy to chip in... but i'm skint right now :S

But I'd be more than interested in hosting a show, I can do 3-4pm on a Wednesday, and weekends I'm good - after exams I'm free pretty much whenever
    Last edited by Vicious Horizon; 21st May 2010 at 07:15 PM.
    Take that ya one-eyed, bomb-lobbin', cactus eatin', pot bellied, thug fat jigglin-chicken whoopin' big, back-stabbin lob-armed creepy spastic bloody, blind-eyed pashy little twitchy pickle-headed rocke- hoppin, potato-poppin' phony two-faced stealthy mutant bastard!

Gamer IDs

Just as an aside, you don't have to feel obliged to contribute in order to be a DJ, but I would prefer it if you did donate some to it, even it was a couple a quid. So even if you are poor as an ugly hooker with a crack addiction, feel free to say you would like a slot, cause this is a community thing. That said, if it comes between choosing a donor and a non-donor for a slot, pref has to be shown to the donor.

Gamer IDs

Steam ID: Pierd1989

Id like to make clear im not trying to put a downer on this at all as it sounds like fun, but who do you expect to listen / how are you going to get them too?

Gamer IDs

It's a fair point. But this community is really lacking something to keep people here. With the radio back up and with some decent DJ's, people will keep coming back. If we get the word out on other forums and on games, and we get people here, we can use the radio as a cornerstone to rebuilding the community. It'll be lackluster in numbers to start with, but hopefully, quickly, we can get a load of listeners. Bear in mind though that the more listeners we have, the quicker we get through the performance quota, and the sooner we have to upgrade the licence to the £900 one.

Plus with FragFM going down the bender, there's a lack of decent UK Gaming Radio. Maybe we should get ahold of some of the ex-DJ's there and see if they wanna come aboard?
    Last edited by Isphera; 21st May 2010 at 08:09 PM.

Gamer IDs

Steam ID: Pierd1989

Quote Originally Posted by Oricalcos View Post
    It's a fair point. But this community is really lacking something to keep people here. With the radio back up and with some decent DJ's, people will keep coming back. If we get the word out on other forums and on games, and we get people here, we can use the radio as a cornerstone to rebuilding the community. It'll be lackluster in numbers to start with, but hopefully, quickly, we can get a load of listeners. Bear in mind though that the more listeners we have, the quicker we get through the performance quota, and the sooner we have to upgrade the licence to the £900 one.
    Plus with FragFM going down the bender, there's a lack of decent UK Gaming Radio. Maybe we should get ahold of some of the ex-DJ's there and see if they wanna come aboard?

I wasnt making a point so much as asking the question genuinley.

I no u can put radios into servers and offer it around but i cant see alot of people taking it up from that.

Also GamerFM is out there and licensed, one of the people im bringing to i40 (if all goes to plan) is a manager for GamerFM and has an exhibitors pass.

have never listened myself to them i generally wither dont want to listen to music while gaming or i play my own from media player.

I think I'd like to do a show if this was set up, and if it actually had any number of regular listeners id put something towards it - that said to be honest i cant see it being successful.

I'd do a bit here and there gladly

Thread Information