Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: New laptop

Gamer IDs

Steam ID: 76561197977918917

Re: New laptop

The taskbar you can change to be almost exactly the same as Vista. Why are you using WMP anyway, there are so many better programs out there. Seems like such a small issue not to upgrade, that the quick launch bar works in a slightly different way.

Anyway, waiting to see some benchmark scores

i7 920@3.8 | GTX280 | HAF 932 | 6GB | Corsair 520W
    Hazro 24" | Logitech Illuminated | G500 | Creative 2.0 | Nikon D3100

The taskbar is pro. It allows me to open three windows of somethign without it raping my taskbar.

Also, I like a clean desktop, so I drag the icons onto the taskbar - YAY! I am now one click away from my favourite games and apps.
    Take that ya one-eyed, bomb-lobbin', cactus eatin', pot bellied, thug fat jigglin-chicken whoopin' big, back-stabbin lob-armed creepy spastic bloody, blind-eyed pashy little twitchy pickle-headed rocke- hoppin, potato-poppin' phony two-faced stealthy mutant bastard!

Gamer IDs

Steam ID: Pierd1989

Quote Originally Posted by Vicious Horizon View Post
    The taskbar is pro. It allows me to open three windows of somethign without it raping my taskbar.

Also, I like a clean desktop, so I drag the icons onto the taskbar - YAY! I am now one click away from my favourite games and apps.
    Vista does this too, define raping taskbar?

Gamer IDs

Quote Originally Posted by Calneon View Post
    The taskbar you can change to be almost exactly the same as Vista. Why are you using WMP anyway, there are so many better programs out there. Seems like such a small issue not to upgrade, that the quick launch bar works in a slightly different way.

Anyway, waiting to see some benchmark scores
    if theirs 1 little thing that realy annoys me and no positives why would i want to "upgrade".

Also i like wmp11. Its a resource whore, but otherwise its fine.

Will bench it tongiht

Gamer IDs

Quote Originally Posted by Colonel Mitch View Post
    if theirs 1 little thing that realy annoys me and no positives why would i want to "upgrade".

Also i like wmp11. Its a resource whore, but otherwise its fine.

Will bench it tongiht
    The benefits are basically in the background where you don't really notice them. Little performance tweaks everywhere where MS learnt from mistakes it made in Vista. Also little things such as desktop background slideshows are awesome (I have over 100 backgrounds that change every hour), the explorer took a bit of getting used to but now I find it much better, you have libraries you can set up yourself, and favourite folder links. The ability to drag windows to the edge of the screen and have it auto resize to half the screen is great for when you want to have two windows open at once, you don't have to move them manually. Homegroups make it easy to share folders across two Windows 7 PCs (i.e. my laptop and PC). Also, everything just works with it.

Quote Originally Posted by Calneon View Post
    The benefits are basically in the background where you don't really notice them. Little performance tweaks everywhere where MS learnt from mistakes it made in Vista. Also little things such as desktop background slideshows are awesome (I have over 100 backgrounds that change every hour), the explorer took a bit of getting used to but now I find it much better, you have libraries you can set up yourself, and favourite folder links. The ability to drag windows to the edge of the screen and have it auto resize to half the screen is great for when you want to have two windows open at once, you don't have to move them manually. Homegroups make it easy to share folders across two Windows 7 PCs (i.e. my laptop and PC). Also, everything just works with it.
    Everything I've underlined I've either got in Vista, or Vista does it perfectly well and easily enough.

VH - Raping the taskbar is moot, big enough screens alleviate it, and you can't seriously have that many windows open it rapes the taskbar and still be able to concentrate all of them/need them all. If it really is an issue, you can set Vista to use purely icons and be just as confused as with Win7.

If you get confused by pictures, go back to Year 1 and 2.

I often have many windows open, for file transfers, different applications running, multiple internet browsers open, and it all makes massive long lines that I just dont need along the bottom of my screen, and it annoys me.
    Take that ya one-eyed, bomb-lobbin', cactus eatin', pot bellied, thug fat jigglin-chicken whoopin' big, back-stabbin lob-armed creepy spastic bloody, blind-eyed pashy little twitchy pickle-headed rocke- hoppin, potato-poppin' phony two-faced stealthy mutant bastard!

Gamer IDs

Vista when fully up to date and with a couple of registry twearks is sjut as good as 7 is in the background. Also the side expansion feature isnt interesting to me, i either put things on another screen or sjut haev 2 minimised windows next to each other so i can stil get to the desktop where i often drop and drag files.

Libraries ill admit would be sueful if you wanted it, but the way I file everything i dont.

and teh homegroup thing is a joke xD - especially when u have a server runnign active directory and a network share :P

Also I like the ability to have a VIDEO as the background.... OH WAIT 7 CANT DO THIS (and even after tweaks / porting 7 still cant do it properly)

In general (Can't believe im guna say this...) /AGREE WITH VOX :O

and I ahvent found anythin that works "bette" on 7 than in vista. Every time you open my computer on 7, if tehirs a cd in teh drive, it locks up Explorer till it spins up the disk- this didnt happen on vista.
    Last edited by Colonel Mitch; 19th August 2010 at 03:09 PM.

Gamer IDs

Vista and 7 are basically the same OS, just 7 is a bit more optimized and 'finished' than Vista.

I've always had the Computer locking up on Vista.

It's because or your inability to accept change, and to adapt to newer, more useful technology that is the source of your contempt for Windows 7.

You've just been scienced.

Gamer IDs

It's because or your inability to accept change, and to adapt to newer, more useful technology that is the source of your contempt for Windows 7.

Erm excuse me.... ive had vista as my main OS since Beta 2, and had 7 since the Beta.....

I liked vista and just hated the UI changes in 7.

In what was is 7 more "finished" than vista?? and when i installed 7 on my pc it used MORE ram than my tweaked version of vista and was slower to respond to things....

Gamer IDs

Benchmarked at standard settings on the factory gfx driver from the start of this year (the current distribution is experimental and not compatible with the 5870m, but a new one should be released with 10.8)

If i can find a version of the driver between 10.1 and 10.7 i should see a performance increase, but in wow at least i pleys it better than my pc........ (and i know it shudnt i dont no why but it does)
    Last edited by Colonel Mitch; 19th August 2010 at 05:10 PM.

PEBKAC

So taking twice as long to do things on the taskbar is useful technology?

Gamer IDs

XFIRE ID: chalex4 Steam ID: chalex4

Quote Originally Posted by VoX View Post
    So taking twice as long to do things on the taskbar is useful technology?
    What things? I live W7 and the new task bar. The new show desktop button (bottom right) is also made of win.
    Quote Originally Posted by ez64
    chalex has so much control we control ourselves

Opening multiple steam convos or explorer windows are all under the same icon, you need to open it out to see which one's which, not sure if it can be changed, but then if it is changeable, it's then essentially the same as Vista.

Can get that button on Vista too, although when I tried it it wasn't that useful (For me that is, I assume for some people it's a godsend, although there is the "Show Desktop" quick-launch in Vista/XP too).

Thread Information