Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Snerfs the NOOB

Snerfs the NOOB

'ight all, long time no see.

*attepts to remove the cobwebs from his PC*

Anywho, I've gotten myself into full-time work, and NO, it's NOT 9-5! It's shift work, some days I do afternoons, and some nights, and sometimes both.

Afternoons: 12-4.
    Nights: 6-10.

With the paychecks coming in quite decently, and Christmas + my Birthday (January 27th), I'm looking to spend around £500-600 on a half-decent PC (with a 10% leeway for added coolness). A monitor is not required, nor is a keyboard and mouse, but if you can squeeze them in, it's cool.

I'm not a huge techie but I know the small things about my own PC, currently running:

Single Core Processor
    nVidia 7600 GS Gfx Card
    1.5gB RAM
    80gB HDD

So as you can imagine, I REALLY want an upgrade, so I can actually play Black Ops, but it will keep my ticking over into newer games coming within the next year or so, so I can afford an even better one at the time. If you're able to make me a computer through a website and order the parts in, I'm almost sure I can build it myself, (though I've only built one by myself). Or if using a site which builds it for you, you just choose the parts, even better.

Thanks guys <3
    Snerfs

Gamer IDs

Steam ID: chazlene

Re: Snerfs the NOOB

haha it's you.
    "If at first you don't succeed, spend a lot of money to have a professional do it for you."

My Battlelog

Gamer IDs

Steam ID: Pierd1989

You could build something like this:

(click to maximise)

ATK Member
    Gamer IDs

Steam ID: kiliv

thats a good option, but if you dont know much about building pc's one of your best options is to go to somewhere like overclockers uk or scan.com and buy one of there pre-overclocked bundles, there pre built overclocked and stress tested to make sure you get a stable overclock, and only costs on average about ten quid more than buying the components on there own.

That looks awesome Piers, but I honestly would be scared of building it myself, with all the cables going everywhere and stuffs >.<

(EDIT - Looking through Overclockers, found a nice bundle actually + adding a Gfx Card)

http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showpr...odid=FS-237-OK

Add on the "MSI GeForce GTX 460 Cyclone 1024MB GDDR5". All I'd need would be some nice guy to acquire me a nice copy of W7.
    Last edited by Snerfs; 23rd December 2010 at 04:18 PM.

Gamer IDs

Quote Originally Posted by Snerfs View Post
    That looks awesome Piers, but I honestly would be scared of building it myself, with all the cables going everywhere and stuffs >.<

(EDIT - Looking through Overclockers, found a nice bundle actually + adding a Gfx Card)

Add on the "MSI GeForce GTX 460 Cyclone 1024MB GDDR5". All I'd need would be some nice guy to acquire me a nice copy of W7.

That builds not too bad and has a much nicer case, but the 5xx nvidia cards or 69xx ati cards are where its at if u want something a bit future proof, unless your going to get more than one.

If you want an nvidia card wait for the 560 to come out.
    Last edited by Colonel Mitch; 23rd December 2010 at 04:46 PM.

ATK Member
    Gamer IDs

yeah as theoreticaly the 560 should be aproximatly 38% faster than the 460 due to the architecture changes, (the last fermi core being unlocked) this is providing that the card is in the same layout as the f104

Surely if it's so much better, it's going to be WAYYY more expensive? I only want it for a few months, possibly a year, before I'm gonna go all out on a PC... And if I was going to buy it new, and the new card came out, I could always upgrade at a later date? =]
    Last edited by Snerfs; 23rd December 2010 at 05:43 PM.

Gamer IDs

Surely if it's so much better, it's going to be WAYYY more expensive? I only want it for a few months, possibly a year, before I'm gonna go all out on a PC... And if I was going to buy it new, and the new card came out, I could always upgrade at a later date? =]
    if you get that system from overclockers for the same price as the one i priced up, its alot less of a machine.

ATK Member
    Gamer IDs

nope it should cost arround the same price, due to the fact there nearly the same architecture just unlocking the last core and a few other little things

Quote Originally Posted by Colonel Mitch View Post
    if you get that system from overclockers for the same price as the one i priced up, its alot less of a machine.
    But who would I have put it together? I don't wanna be putting cables in the wrong places >.<

Gamer IDs

But who would I have put it together? I don't wanna be putting cables in the wrong places >.<
    you cant put cables in wrong places. I can build it for you if u pay for me to get you yours and back from newcaslte

Gamer IDs

Steam ID: 76561197977918917

You can get Windows 7 for £38 with a student offer. Do not use an illegal OS on your only computer. Honestly for the sake of £40 it really isn't worth the hassle or risk. Apart from that I'll leave Mitch and Kiliv to the hardware, they seem to know the latest stuff much better than I do .

i7 920@3.8 | GTX280 | HAF 932 | 6GB | Corsair 520W
    Hazro 24" | Logitech Illuminated | G500 | Creative 2.0 | Nikon D3100

Gamer IDs

Quote Originally Posted by Calneon View Post
    You can get Windows 7 for £38 with a student offer. Do not use an illegal OS on your only computer. Honestly for the sake of £40 it really isn't worth the hassle or risk. Apart from that I'll leave Mitch and Kiliv to the hardware, they seem to know the latest stuff much better than I do .
    Why not use an illegal OS? it comes up as fully validated and can update form windows etc. its your own call but theirs no issue with it.

Gamer IDs

Steam ID: 76561197977918917

Personally, I don't like the idea that the platform from which I do everything on my computer, play games, do university work, etc, to be illegal. It's something I use up to 10 hours daily, all year round, I don't see why you'd obtain it illegally when you can get a legal copy for so cheap, which is guaranteed to never stop working all of a sudden (for validation reasons, and yes I know somebody who this happened to) and never get me in trouble for any work I do while using it.

i7 920@3.8 | GTX280 | HAF 932 | 6GB | Corsair 520W
    Hazro 24" | Logitech Illuminated | G500 | Creative 2.0 | Nikon D3100

Thread Information