Thread: Spotify changes

Exclamation Spotify changes

I'm sure a lot of you use spotify. As a student it's quite handy being able to access tracks and whole albums for free using their free service, with the adverts being a minor annoyance. However they've announced changes to their free service this week. Some people think more people will leave and continue to pirate music instead, and others think it's fair enough as the revenue from advertising to the free users can't support the company in the long run.
    Here are the changes posted on their website:

"New Spotify users will be able to enjoy our unrivalled free service as it is today for the first 6 months.
    As of May 1st, any user who signed up to the free service on or before November 1st 2010 will be able to play each track for free up to a total of 5 times. Users who signed up after the beginning of November will see these changes applied 6 months after the time they set up their Spotify account.
    Additionally, total listening time for free users will be limited to 10 hours per month after the first 6 months. That’s equivalent to around 200 tracks or 20 albums."

I personally think that the premium service is well worth the money, despite not wanting to pay any more money than I need to, so I'll stick with the free service as long as I can. 10 hours is a bit limiting though. However they seem to be targetting the heavier users rather than light users who search for a few tracks. I do tend to buy albums as theres a lot more flexibility with what I can do with them/higher quality.

Here's the BBC article.

What do you guys think?

(This is the first thread I think I've posted since I was unbanned lol)
    Last edited by Hutch; 14th April 2011 at 10:26 PM.

Re: Spotify changes

mate... how about you just forget about spotify and try http://listen.grooveshark.com/

sign up is free, you can upload the music YOU want. AND you can search for music other people have uploaded. lots of content, so much content.lots of options with play lists etc. Also, after about 15 minutes of songs, if you haven't done anything on the page, a message will come up saying are you still there? Then if you don't respond the music will end after the current song. You can upgrade to a premium account for $9 or $6 a month , havn't looked into it though, cause i never needed too, so far i haven't reached a song limit, and ive been listening to the SAME SHIT all day for 2 weeks.
    Lots of comedy up on there too, like Comedian CD's or trackz
    Last edited by Setsoru; 14th April 2011 at 10:47 PM.
    i am vindictive, faggits!

Gamer IDs

Steam ID: 76561197977918917

Quote Originally Posted by Setsoru View Post
    mate... how about you just forget about spotify and try http://listen.grooveshark.com/

sign up is free, you can upload the music YOU want. AND you can search for music other people have uploaded. lots of content, so much content.lots of options with play lists etc. Also, after about 15 minutes of songs, if you haven't done anything on the page, a message will come up saying are you still there? Then if you don't respond the music will end after the current song. You can upgrade to a premium account for $9 or $6 a month , havn't looked into it though, cause i never needed too, so far i haven't reached a song limit, and ive been listening to the SAME SHIT all day for 2 weeks.
    Lots of comedy up on there too, like Comedian CD's or trackz
    I was going to recommend Grooveshark if you hadn't. Massive library of tracks, no ads whatsoever, make your own playlists and subscribe to other people's playlists. I still just torrent the majority of my music but when I'm on my laptop or want something different i'll use Grooveshark.

I have no idea how the fund it.

i7 920@3.8 | GTX280 | HAF 932 | 6GB | Corsair 520W
    Hazro 24" | Logitech Illuminated | G500 | Creative 2.0 | Nikon D3100

Grooveshark has limitations on copyright, so some stuff isn't even at all legal. Or just isn't there. For example, half the bands I like don't seem to have a presence at all.

Saw this, use spotify a lot so sad times. Not sure if I'll grab a premium/unlimited account, it's quite a bit of cash though the ability to use on phone would be nice... Either that or time for grooveshark.

Hutch, add your own music.. Problem solved

But yeah spotify got big headed
    i am vindictive, faggits!

Gamer IDs

Steam ID: chazlene

"If at first you don't succeed, spend a lot of money to have a professional do it for you."

My Battlelog

Yeh I used to use spotify a lot at uni, but then just started downloading the music I wanted, think people mostly use it on their iphones now, dunno how it will affect them.

Let's not advocate piracy

Thread Information