Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Need opinions on this logo

Gamer IDs

Steam ID: chazlene

Need opinions on this logo

Yeah currently arguing with a fellow designer and the guy who I'm making this for, can't agree on which design is best, so give your opinions please:

"If at first you don't succeed, spend a lot of money to have a professional do it for you."

My Battlelog

Gamer IDs

Steam ID: Pierd1989

Re: Need opinions on this logo

I liek the one in the middle the most

Third one or second one (going down) in order of my preference.
    Take that ya one-eyed, bomb-lobbin', cactus eatin', pot bellied, thug fat jigglin-chicken whoopin' big, back-stabbin lob-armed creepy spastic bloody, blind-eyed pashy little twitchy pickle-headed rocke- hoppin, potato-poppin' phony two-faced stealthy mutant bastard!

Middle one easy

Newspeak???? Did they ask you to promote synergy? Blergh. Steer away from those people

Definitely the type on the second one, then either second or third for actual logo. I'd say second outright, but always think when logos aren't encompassed in a roughly regular shape they can look slightly odd, mainly when put on differing backgrounds.

Gamer IDs

Steam ID: 76561197977918917

First logo second font.

i7 920@3.8 | GTX280 | HAF 932 | 6GB | Corsair 520W
    Hazro 24" | Logitech Illuminated | G500 | Creative 2.0 | Nikon D3100

Gamer IDs

Bear in mind guys the font in the second one is based off Helvetica, the most widely used font ever, every road sign, most shop window adverts, etc, is Helvetica, since it is such a perfect font, but also means it's best to avoid it since it's so overused.

Also the design of the second one isn't as good because of the large gap between the logo and 'Newspeak', whereas it's smaller between the logo and 'management', which means it doesn't look like the logo and text go together.
    Last edited by Chazlene; 7th May 2011 at 01:22 AM.
    "If at first you don't succeed, spend a lot of money to have a professional do it for you."

My Battlelog

People like what there use to, we all saw it and thought I like that but really it was because we recognised the font, makes sense to choose it

Gamer IDs

Steam ID: 76561197977918917

I made it betterer.

i7 920@3.8 | GTX280 | HAF 932 | 6GB | Corsair 520W
    Hazro 24" | Logitech Illuminated | G500 | Creative 2.0 | Nikon D3100

Quote Originally Posted by Chazlene View Post
    Bear in mind guys the font in the second one is based off Helvetica, the most widely used font ever, every road sign, most shop window adverts, etc, is Helvetica, since it is such a perfect font, but also means it's best to avoid it since it's so overused.

Also the design of the second one isn't as good because of the large gap between the logo and 'Newspeak', whereas it's smaller between the logo and 'management', which means it doesn't look like the logo and text go together.

Overused doesn't mean bad font, preference I wouldn't say was a conscious decision anyway so whats the problem?

Gamer IDs

Quote Originally Posted by ez64 View Post
    Overused doesn't mean bad font, preference I wouldn't say was a conscious decision anyway so whats the problem?
    Overused does mean though that you won't stand out as much if most other companies used Helvetica, besides the other font I used is pretty good itself.

My Battlelog

What Target said, it's familiar ground for people so their drawn to it, plus the other font looks a little too stretched vertically imo.

Gamer IDs

Wow so you guys seriously think that EVERY single logo in the world should be done in Helvetica?

My Battlelog

Not EVERY logo, but I'm guessing this is some form of news venture? In which case they would be delivering topics that are completely different everyday and trying to get their story heard and believed (put themselves in the same category as broadsheet newspapers basically.) So from this, I'd rather go with a company that represent themselves through familiar terms rather than trying to be eye catching and different.

For example:

The Guardian logo, simple serif font, 2 cool (in the colour temperature sense) colours, job done. Looks simple, easy, doesn't scream in your face.

The Sun logo, italic, block caps for THE, garish red background, very much in your face "look at me" style logo.

Remove any previous connotations you have with either newspaper, put yourself in a situation at a newsagents picking up the paper and wanting the more truthful story. Based on logo, which one would you pick?

It's not about every logo being made up of the same generic font collection, it's more choosing fonts that are appropriate based on the
    context. Like if ATK came out with a generic Helvetica style logo, it just wouldn't fit.

Don't know why but the text from top and bottom logo screams "American" at me, don't know why it's just something about the vertically elongated look...
    Last edited by VoX; 7th May 2011 at 01:37 PM.

Thread Information