Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: i43 Clan Box?

Re: i43 Clan Box?

Who needs lights when you have monitors?

(DreamHack photos show how bright it can look)
    Take that ya one-eyed, bomb-lobbin', cactus eatin', pot bellied, thug fat jigglin-chicken whoopin' big, back-stabbin lob-armed creepy spastic bloody, blind-eyed pashy little twitchy pickle-headed rocke- hoppin, potato-poppin' phony two-faced stealthy mutant bastard!

Gamer IDs

Steam ID: 76561197977918917

I think I would go blind if I had no light except my monitor for 3 days.

i7 920@3.8 | GTX280 | HAF 932 | 6GB | Corsair 520W
    Hazro 24" | Logitech Illuminated | G500 | Creative 2.0 | Nikon D3100

/agree

Gamer IDs

PSN ID: BrokenMC Steam ID: isphera

/agree as well - and given the fuss they kicked up about lights being on at i34 and multiplay then refusing to turn them back on, unless that changed at i37, I have to assume something similar will happen here. With the clan box, we actually get light and have greater control as to what we do with the place in terms of conditions and what we do. Doesn't stop us having banners and/or projectors and walking round advertising with shirts.

Gamer IDs

Steam ID: chazlene

Quote Originally Posted by Oricalcos View Post
    /agree as well - and given the fuss they kicked up about lights being on at i34 and multiplay then refusing to turn them back on, unless that changed at i37, I have to assume something similar will happen here. With the clan box, we actually get light and have greater control as to what we do with the place in terms of conditions and what we do. Doesn't stop us having banners and/or projectors and walking round advertising with shirts.
    To be honest the minor luxuries of air con and being able to use a light switch does not outweigh the social aspect of being in one of the main gamer halls.
    "If at first you don't succeed, spend a lot of money to have a professional do it for you."

My Battlelog

/agree with Chazl
    Take that ya one-eyed, bomb-lobbin', cactus eatin', pot bellied, thug fat jigglin-chicken whoopin' big, back-stabbin lob-armed creepy spastic bloody, blind-eyed pashy little twitchy pickle-headed rocke- hoppin, potato-poppin' phony two-faced stealthy mutant bastard!

Gamer IDs

Quote Originally Posted by Chazlene View Post
    To be honest the minor luxuries of air con and being able to use a light switch does not outweigh the social aspect of being in one of the main gamer halls.
    What do you mean? You're still in the same room as 36 other people. Is that not enough for you?

Quote Originally Posted by Calneon View Post
    What do you mean? You're still in the same room as 36 other people. Is that not enough for you?
    With me it's not, it'll be just like a bedroom LAN-Party, except I'm paying nearl £100 for the privilege.

Gamer IDs

Quote Originally Posted by Vicious Horizon View Post
    With me it's not, it'll be just like a bedroom LAN-Party, except I'm paying nearl £100 for the privilege.
    At i40, did you interact with anybody outside of the two rows we had?

No he needs 3000 sweaty men

Quote Originally Posted by Calneon View Post
    At i40, did you interact with anybody outside of the two rows we had?
    Yeah I did, actually. I had a couple of mates on the floor below and there were plenty of people who popped in at the side of our row that I had a chat to.

Besides, the feel of being out in the open with everyone else was good, I don't personally see the point in segregating ourselves from the other 3000 people going for the sake of a lightswitch and better Aircon..

The rooms are tiny, the only reason I wanted a clanbox in the first place was because I thought it was going to be a good 100 people in the room who are all part of clans, not a small room a whole corridor away from the event.

---

Arguments For and Against clanboxes:

FOR
    We can turn lights on and off
    No CoD kids screaming
    Aircon
    Windows

AGAINST
    No Advertising
    Little to no Atmosphere
    We don't know what it'll be like
    Less people around
    No reason to get free stuff from Sponsors
    Further away from everything
    Detracts from the whole 'big-LAN' point of the iSeries
    Last edited by Vicious Horizon; 24th May 2011 at 03:51 PM.

Gamer IDs

PSN ID: BrokenMC Steam ID: isphera

AGAINST
    No Advertising
    Little to no Atmosphere
    Less people around
    How do we not get advertising? So what we are in a clan box? We still have shirts to be seen around the venue, and last I checked, most of us are entering the big tournaments and have a chance at going onto the KO stages of at least one. And as said, we can always have banners and projectors outside the clan box. In terms of getting things from sponsors, I think the primary concern should be minimising the costs of us going, such as a subsidy on T-Shirts over products, as this makes it easier for us to spend on the weekend, as well as being cheaper for the company (if one is in place to sponsor us).

The atmosphere of the main hall is warped by the size from the cosy, social aspect at NRC to an imposing mass pushing you towards the people your with and causing it to be less social with the rest of the LAN. With the clan box, whilst you have less people around, it's all people you know, and when are you gonna go rolling around like a gaming prostitute looking for someone to play with. The clan boxes are located above the two halls, and everything is collected together, so the 'not being close' aspect is a flawed argument.

In fairness, since this is going to be a new move, you don't actually know what the huge halls will be like either, but having seen videos and spoken to people with clan boxes, we have a good idea as to what we will get from it. Sure, the size might be bigger, and (an addendum to the person point), we may even be sharing with another clan, so your worries of 'OMG I cant speak to people outside of ATK that I'll never speak to again' should be laid to rest.

And on the 'big-feel' - if that was the idea for the iSeries, then why would they offer the clan boxes? I believe that the idea of an iSeries should be to attend as a group of friends, a clan and/or community, and enjoy playing games with them with the added benefit of meeting IRL as well as doing IRL activities such as BBQ's, Bowling, putting people in bins, tackling the people with the most expensive camera equipment to the ground etc. With the clan boxes, it gives us a more pleasant, controlable environment to do this, as well as get away with things that might not be allowed in the main hall due to the other people.

I am a bit dismayed though, as you have greatly simplified the arguments in favor of the clan boxes. Hopefully this passage should give people a better understanding of why we should take the clan box option. I believe that we are at a size now where such a move could benefit us greatly.

Yeah I did, actually. I had a couple of mates on the floor below and there were plenty of people who popped in at the side of our row that I had a chat to.

Besides, the feel of being out in the open with everyone else was good, I don't personally see the point in segregating ourselves from the other 3000 people going for the sake of a lightswitch and better Aircon..

The rooms are tiny, the only reason I wanted a clanbox in the first place was because I thought it was going to be a good 100 people in the room who are all part of clans, not a small room a whole corridor away from the event.

---

Arguments For and Against clanboxes:

FOR
    We can turn lights on and off
    No CoD kids screaming
    Aircon
    Windows

AGAINST
    No Advertising
    Little to no Atmosphere
    Less people around
    * katakuna likes this

If your not google, don't act like you know everything

Target, who were you talking to?

Thread Information