Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: EA are chopping up BF3 into DLC exclusive to certain stores

Re: EA are chopping up BF3 into DLC exclusive to certain stores

This type of sales can become quite a big deal if they continue down this road, exclusives like this isnt unique anymore. Deus Ex is having weapons and a couple of missions being exclusive if you buy from a certain retailer, the new Arkham asylum and DIrt are also using this same device.

Indeed weapons are not a major concern, but when 4 Maps, an expansion in itself is being closed off it definitely is a big deal. £30 for me is still a lot of money for a game and when alternative retailers are available i want to be able to take them without losing large content for a game at the very start of it.

You could probably also make an argument that stuff like this would also increase piracy
    Last edited by Trigger; 13th June 2011 at 02:44 PM.

Gamer IDs

Steam ID: 76561197977918917

Quote Originally Posted by Hutch View Post
    Calneon you are beginning to sound like a vegetarian.
    Please enlighten me, I can't quite see the connection there.

You don't see the problem with restricting certain weapons/ammo/maps from players just because they didn't buy the game before any reviews were released and from a specific retailer? Mitch, your argument that it's not a big deal because you don't think people will use the shotgun is frankly abysmal, lots of people use shotguns in FPS games. Regardless, restricting content because I bought the game at the wrong place is really poor in my opinion.

If they feel like this works it will just get worse and worse in the future, cutting up their finished games into pieces just to charge more for it.

i7 920@3.8 | GTX280 | HAF 932 | 6GB | Corsair 520W
    Hazro 24" | Logitech Illuminated | G500 | Creative 2.0 | Nikon D3100

A survey has been done on EA site and 94% disagreed on such a move. It annoys me that so many games have plans before a game goes live to restrict content and either sell it as early DLC or now as a pre order bonus.
    Last edited by Trigger; 13th June 2011 at 06:37 PM.

Welcome to the world

You are not entitled to have everything you want.
    It is the developer's game, it's down to them and their publisher what they do with the iP.
    You do not own the franchise.
    You do not have a say about what they do with their franchise.
    If you don't like it, don't buy it.
    There's a miniscule advantage involved "Z0mg, new ammo I CANT GET BCUZ I DONT WNA SPEND ANOTHER £5!?!?!?!?!??!?!" is a poor argument for there being an unfair advantage.
    Paying for the new content now supports developers in the future, EA aren't the bad guys anymore, they're surprisingly good with developers.

My view on the whole thing tbh.
    Take that ya one-eyed, bomb-lobbin', cactus eatin', pot bellied, thug fat jigglin-chicken whoopin' big, back-stabbin lob-armed creepy spastic bloody, blind-eyed pashy little twitchy pickle-headed rocke- hoppin, potato-poppin' phony two-faced stealthy mutant bastard!

Gamer IDs

Quote Originally Posted by Trigger View Post
    A survey has been done on EA site and 94% disagreed on such a move. It annoys me that so many games have plans before a game goes live to restrict content and either sell it as early DLC or now as a pre order bonus.
    Yeah I saw that. I also saw a post somewhere that suggests DICE had absolutely nothing to do with this move, and are just as pissed off as most of the people who voted in that poll. EA just announced the pack and is basically forcing DICE to go through with it.

Gamer IDs

Quote Originally Posted by Vicious Horizon View Post
    Welcome to the world

You are not entitled to have everything you want.
    It is the developer's game, it's down to them and their publisher what they do with the iP.
    You do not own the franchise.
    You do not have a say about what they do with their franchise.
    If you don't like it, don't buy it.
    There's a miniscule advantage involved "Z0mg, new ammo I CANT GET BCUZ I DONT WNA SPEND ANOTHER £5!?!?!?!?!??!?!" is a poor argument for there being an unfair advantage.
    Paying for the new content now supports developers in the future, EA aren't the bad guys anymore, they're surprisingly good with developers.

My view on the whole thing tbh.
    You play LoL. You're used to paying for an advantage. For most other proper gamers it's bullshit. Is your attitude for everything just "Meh I don't like it but I can't do anything about it so I guess I'll just live with it"?

Whilst it sucks, kinda have to accept that theres fuck all gamers can do about it, no matter how many times they whine.

Gamer IDs

Quote Originally Posted by VoX View Post
    Whilst it sucks, kinda have to accept that theres fuck all gamers can do about it, no matter how many times they whine.
    Wrong.

EA did the same thing for Bad Company, gamers complained, EA reversed the decision. Obviously nothing is going to happen if people sit on their asses and admit defeat before even trying anything.

http://www.reddit.com/r/gaming/comme...his_same_crap/

Well you learn something new every day...

'@notch Markus Persson
    When I make a movie, it will have different exclusive scenes added to it depending on what cinema you go to. #subtle'

Notch be trollin

Gamer IDs

Quote Originally Posted by Moeshi View Post
    '@notch Markus Persson
    When I make a movie, it will have different exclusive scenes added to it depending on what cinema you go to. #subtle'

Notch be trollin
    Awesome :P.

Nowhere in LoL can you pay for any meaningful advantage, it's something that they strive to keep from happening.
    But back to topic:

I don't see why everyone's getting so much anal pain from a small amount of money which you can pay for if you want.
    If you don't want it, don't pay the money and don't complain that other people have bought it, it was your decision.

As far as I'm concerned, DICE and EA can do what they want with the pricing, it's their product, they can do what they want to it.

I don't see why people think they're so entitled to be able to dictate everything a company does, not every company is VALVe, and not every company should be.

The awesome gamer community we have often makes us think that we are an integral part of the development team.
    We're not.
    And we shouldn't be, sure, businesses should listen to their consumers, but what gives US the right to dictate and tell THEM how they should price their products, how they should market their products, and slam them for utilising a legitimate and proven business strategy in order to maximise their profits.

Why the fuck should they have to listen to people complaining about getting more for their money at a price cheaper than every single console gamer out there?

The console price without this additional content is going to be between £40 and £50, and us PC gamers are complaining about an OPTIONAL OPTION FOR EXTRA CONTENT IN GAME?

Seriously?

Get some perspective, please.
    Take that ya one-eyed, bomb-lobbin', cactus eatin', pot bellied, thug fat jigglin-chicken whoopin' big, back-stabbin lob-armed creepy spastic bloody, blind-eyed pashy little twitchy pickle-headed rocke- hoppin, potato-poppin' phony two-faced stealthy mutant bastard!

Vegetarians and Vegans normally have very strong opinions on everything. They also hate any kind of injustice, whether it is there or not.

I don't see why people think they're so entitled to be able to dictate everything a company does, not every company is VALVe, and not every company should be.

The awesome gamer community we have often makes us think that we are an integral part of the development team.
    We're not.
    And we shouldn't be, sure, businesses should listen to their consumers, but what gives US the right to dictate and tell THEM how they should price their products, how they should market their products, and slam them for utilising a legitimate and proven business strategy in order to maximise their profits.
    A business that does not understand what the customers want or listen to criticism is doomed to fail. If i look past your exaggeration i can see the point your trying to get out, yes a company can try to make as much profit as possible and often that goes against what customers want but a middle ground must be found. Customers CAN tell businesses how they should price/market their product, they are the ones that buy it.

Why the fuck should they have to listen to people complaining about getting more for their money at a price cheaper than every single console gamer out there?

The console price without this additional content is going to be between £40 and £50, and us PC gamers are complaining about an OPTIONAL OPTION FOR EXTRA CONTENT IN GAME?

Seriously?

Get some perspective, please.
    The issue about extra content is the key, its not really an 'optional option' When a game gets released you want it to come with everything and as a consumer you want to be able to choose where you get it. (In my opinion 4 Maps for a multiplayer game with history does not really count as luxury content at launch, whilst weapons does)

Comparing the prices with Consoles is a weak argument, 'Your getting a better deal than the other people who are ripped off more!'

Isnt looking at the state of consoles and games like COD with the prices of new maps a good enough incentive for people to complain to companys and let them see what its like from our perspective.

I understand the pressure companys are under to release games but when every game is a sequel, every RPG comes with at least £15 worth of DLC somewhere along the line, More FPS contain map and weaponry DLC, companys need to stop sucking money slowly from consumers and get creative with new games and ideas. (Though thats another debate on the problems of creativity)
    Last edited by Trigger; 13th June 2011 at 08:27 PM. Reason: Further thoughts

Optional Option Best Option.

It boils down to choice really doesn't it, you're free to choose whether or not you buy the extra content from whoever it is that is doing this deal, if you don't like it, you have three choices:

1) Buy the game for less, with slightly less content
    2) Buy the game for more, with more content
    3) Don't buy the game

If you don't agree with EA's decision to create more content for more money, fair enough, that's your opinion and I understand that, so choose option 1 and don't support their choice.
    If you would like to spend more money for more content, then go with option 2, and get more content.
    If you think that the game is going to be horrendously imbalanced due to the additional content that people can buy then don't buy the game, simple.

I understand that this is part of a growing trend of game companies splitting up content that; let's be honest, should be in the game (Oh wait, it is!) - I don't agree with spending £15 on a new map pack every month a la Call of Duty.... so I don't buy a new map pack every month for Call of Duty.

I don't see what the problem is to be honest, I probably won't spend £30 on the game just for some small upgrades that may give people an advantage, but they paid for it and I didn't, so fair enough it doesn't bother me because I could have spent the extra money if I think it's worth it, however I don't think it's worth it, so I won't be buying it. If other people buy it, great! That's their decision, good on them for digging deep for something they really want, and if they kill me because of, for example, this unique ammo for a shotgun, fair enough - he'd paid the money and I didn't.

Thread Information