Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: What phone to get next?

Gamer IDs

Steam ID: gkgary

Re: What phone to get next?

Thanks for the mini-review, VoX. I've not had a touch screen Samsung phone, so I have nothing to compare it to, but Sense on the Hero is okay -can be a bit slow from time to time.

I'll probably be quite happy with the standard launcher, until I feel like playing with the phone a bit more and end up changing it around completely. I haven't changed much on the Hero, so will probably find TouchWiz all right.

For a phone like this, I probably will get a case. What type of case have you got? Little rubber case, like the iPhones/BlackBerries have, or a leather style flip out case?

Battery, when you get a new phone, is always a problem at first because you constantly play with it. Always turning it on and off, playing with new apps, changing everything around. Until you get a setup you're happy with, you'll burn through battery really quickly. I tend to keep mine on charge over night. But recently stopped doing so and found the battery will JUST last two days with average use, mainly texting.

I'm not too fussed about the camera, as I've got my DSLR, but a decent phone camera is always handy for those random shots.

As for keyboard, I'll probably find something I like (trying the ones you've suggested, mainly).

Watching some of the video reviews, it looks fantastic. While it looks iPhone-esque, that's because everyone compares phones to the iPhone now. In all honesty (genuine question), who cares if someone copied/used the design from other phones? As long as it works, who cares? No one says that about cars, or computer components, saying Intel copied AMD or vice versia.

I've got a rubber case for it atm, flips we're tempting but having had a phone sock for the last phone, I found it more hassle that you haven't got straight access to the phone when needed. Looking at screen protectors but there seems to be a lot of crap out there atm :/.

Case was £10 from Carphone Warehouse, and has a nice lip on the front side so you can lay the phone on its face and the screen won't touch anything. Tried one that had the same design as the actual Samsung one (minus the funky holes) and while it looked sleek, seemed to offer v little protection and actually made the phone uncomfortable to hold.

Charging overnight is perfect with this, it vibrates/makes a noise when not on silent when it hits 100%, but in a week it hasn't woke me up at all. The alarm does easily though.

If the design/features work then don't fix it, look at iOS5, the notification center is so obviously lifted from Android, but if it works, who cares?
    Last edited by VoX; 25th June 2011 at 12:53 PM.

Gamer IDs

I watched the iOS release from Apple and picked up on all the Android rips.

The alarm doesn't have to be overly loud, 'cos the constant vibration wakes me up. I probably will get a case for it (or whatever phone I get).

Cheers for the pics too!

Put iOS5 beta on a mates iP4 the other day and it ain't that bad, has taken a large step towards android though.

No probs, shout if you have any questions

Gamer IDs

So many features have been taken from Android in their latest update. It's funny how many iPhone whores rip Android, but they have no idea that a lot of the features they love will have come from Android :P

Galaxy SII, =]

Gamer IDs

Steam ID: Pierd1989

Rami and Ki have the galaxy S 2. Something went wrong with ramis and i think hes had it fixed now, but hes happy with it

Personally I would install launcher pro instead of touch wiz, and for my taste it does "feel" very nice to hold - too light and kinda plasticy. BUT the screen colours look really really good, 8mp camera is nice and screen size is good too.

I dont know much about the moto atrix, but motoblur i didnt like on my Milestone 2, but a simple install of Launcher Pro removes that

I dont really know what else is coming out ETC at the moment, ill browse GSMarena when i have some time

Gamer IDs

I have never used Launcher Pro or TouchWiz, so I have no idea what the difference will be, so until I have a play with either of them properly, I'll find out how I get along with it.

ATK Member
    Gamer IDs

Steam ID: kiliv

Quote Originally Posted by Colonel Mitch View Post
    Rami and Ki have the galaxy S 2. Something went wrong with ramis and i think hes had it fixed now, but hes happy with it

Personally I would install launcher pro instead of touch wiz, and for my taste it does "feel" very nice to hold - too light and kinda plasticy. BUT the screen colours look really really good, 8mp camera is nice and screen size is good too.

I dont know much about the moto atrix, but motoblur i didnt like on my Milestone 2, but a simple install of Launcher Pro removes that

I dont really know what else is coming out ETC at the moment, ill browse GSMarena when i have some time
    yeah the first thing i did was install launcher pro, i think that the normal launcher on it looks horrible, although i might just be set in my ways as ive used launcher pro aslong as ive had android, also the battery life is amazing compared to the iphone the other day i had bluetooth, wifi, gps and was constantly using it for games, and the battery lasted till half way through the next day...
    marshy fails, that is all.

Gamer IDs

So, I rode to Portsmouth today with two mates of mine. Went into Carphone warehouse and ended up playing with an SII. It's so quick, it's unbelievable! Can't wait to actually play with a usable one instead of a limited display model!

Nice, you going to go for one?

Gamer IDs

More than likely, yes! I am also using LauncherPro on my Hero. It's far nicer! Do you guys that use it have the paid version, or just the free one?

This is going to sound weird, I tried LauncherPro (free version) on the SGS2 and actually found it too fast....

Have settled on Go Launcher EX as it has all the features I want/use (widget resizing, good support for folders in app drawer, scrolling widgets) and quite a few cool custom widgets too. Oh, and its free

Thread Information