Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Still on XP, look at me give a fuck.

Gamer IDs

Steam ID: chazlene

Still on XP, look at me give a fuck.

So I'm intending to get a new PC before i43, something that'll run Battlefield 3 pretty damn well, with a budget probably of around £600 (are those two things possible?), dunno budget might change a bit, depending on how much work I can get, birthday money, etc.

Hutch suggested this: http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showpr...id=2040&subcat

Is that a good choice or are you going to berate him for it? (I'm guessing the latter will be the case). By the way I REALLY DON'T WANT TO BUILD IT. Just want to simply buy a desktop, I've had several bad experiences in the past when I've tried to do stuff myself.

I'm not buying a monitor, keyboard, mouse or whatever so don't include those with your suggestions. Also any chance of 'acquiring' Windows 7 to save some money?

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.
    "If at first you don't succeed, spend a lot of money to have a professional do it for you."

My Battlelog

Re: Still on XP, look at me give a fuck.

could not live without instant search in my taskbar since vista.

Gamer IDs

Steam ID: Pierd1989

If you dont want to build it i *think* scan 3XS systems are slightly cheaper, and they have MUCH better customer support than OCUK.

And if you want an "acquired" copy of winds, i can send you one if u cant download it

EDIT: Just checked and a scan one is £812 inc vat VS £770 inc VAT for a similar build.

BUT. Scan offer a 2 year warranty vs 1 year and in the first year they will deal with it directly at your house at no charge and in the second your it is a standard return it to them and theyll fix it and send it back.

Also scan get someone to set it up and ensure its working when it arrives at your house (at no charge other than delivery)
    Last edited by Colonel Mitch; 1st August 2011 at 04:38 AM.

Thats great Mitch but his budget is 600 not 800 quid..... and who really cares about installation/home support? if its broke replace the part under warranty. I'm sure Chazlene can plug it in.

Edit: we've bought zoostorms before, they're cheap but v reliable. http://www.ebuyer.com/272145-zoostor...p-pc-7873-0276 this seems like a deal.
    Last edited by Hutch; 1st August 2011 at 09:28 AM.

Gamer IDs

Steam ID: 76561197977918917

Quote Originally Posted by Hutch View Post
    Thats great Mitch but his budget is 600 not 800 quid..... and who really cares about installation/home support? if its broke replace the part under warranty. I'm sure Chazlene can plug it in.

Edit: we've bought zoostorms before, they're cheap but v reliable. http://www.ebuyer.com/272145-zoostor...p-pc-7873-0276 this seems like a deal.
    A GTS450 will not handle BF3 'pretty damn well', it's worse than my 3 year old GTX280. If you went with the link in the OP (http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showpr...id=2040&subcat), you'd have to go with a GTX460 for it to be worth it, and it would give you good performance in BF3 (AFAIK, GTX460 is slightly better than a GTX280, plus it's DX11), but that would put you £43 over budget.

Obviously I'd recommend building one yourself or getting somebody else to help you but if you don't want to that's your choice. I'd also recommend spending £40 on a legit copy of Windows 7, but again I'm not going to try to stop you doing otherwise.

i7 920@3.8 | GTX280 | HAF 932 | 6GB | Corsair 520W
    Hazro 24" | Logitech Illuminated | G500 | Creative 2.0 | Nikon D3100

Quote Originally Posted by Calneon View Post
    A GTS450 will not handle BF3 'pretty damn well', it's worse than my 3 year old GTX280. If you went with the link in the OP (http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showpr...id=2040&subcat), you'd have to go with a GTX460 for it to be worth it, and it would give you good performance in BF3 (AFAIK, GTX460 is slightly better than a GTX280, plus it's DX11), but that would put you £43 over budget.

Obviously I'd recommend building one yourself or getting somebody else to help you but if you don't want to that's your choice. I'd also recommend spending £40 on a legit copy of Windows 7, but again I'm not going to try to stop you doing otherwise.
    My Gt430 seems to be handling BF3 pretty damn well atm on the alpha. But yeah GTX460.

Gamer IDs

PSN ID: BrokenMC Steam ID: isphera

Quote Originally Posted by Calneon View Post

Basically this. Even with the HD issue I had builiding mine last time (quickly resolved with a quick RMA to WD ), I would strongly recommending getting it custom built, whether by yourself or with the guidence or expertise of another (I'm sure another ATK'er will happily help), because the benefit in terms of power/£ is much better. Legit copy is pretty much essential.

Gamer IDs

Steam ID: Pierd1989

You want him to play BF3 on a 430 graphics card at decent settings?

Quote Originally Posted by Colonel Mitch View Post
    You want him to play BF3 on a 430 graphics card at decent settings?
    t
    Well I'd hope he'd get the best he can, but don't trash the 430. You haven't seen it in actionon BF3. I'm just against spending LOL amounts of money on unnecessary shit.

Gamer IDs

t
    Well I'd hope he'd get the best he can, but don't trash the 430. You haven't seen it in actionon BF3. I'm just against spending LOL amounts of money on unnecessary shit.
    It will vary depending on what resolution you have. It might handle high/max at something like 1280x800, but maybe medium at 1920x1200, if you want playable (AKA 60) FPS.

EDIT: Erm, I just looked at a few benchmarks of a GT430 (http://benchmarkreviews.com/index.ph...&limitstart=10), it performs pathetically. You must be running on a very low resolution or very low settings to get playable framerates :S.
    Last edited by Calneon; 1st August 2011 at 10:57 AM.

You won't need Sandybridge stuff for playing games, something i3 or i5 will be plenty, then spend the savings on a better GPU.

Did this quickly on the OCUK configuration thingie, don't take it as gospel though, haven't properly looked at hardware stuff for about a year.

Doesn't include Win7, but that's easily arranged
    Last edited by VoX; 1st August 2011 at 10:55 AM.

Gamer IDs

Quote Originally Posted by VoX View Post
    You won't need Sandybridge stuff for playing games, something i3 or i5 will be plenty, then spend the savings on a better GPU.

Did this quickly on the OCUK configuration thingie, don't take it as gospel though, haven't properly looked at hardware stuff for about a year.

I didn't realize OcUK had that service, looks like the perfect option. Build looks solid too.

ATK Member
    Gamer IDs

Steam ID: kiliv

either that or you could just buy it and get someone at i43 to build it for you im sure me and mitch would be more than happy to help you, if it saved a significant amount

oh and btw the ocuk branded gpus are usualy good named ones they have to much of, i ordered a 275 from them and got an asus one
    Last edited by Kiliv; 1st August 2011 at 11:13 AM.
    marshy fails, that is all.

Gamer IDs

Steam ID: chazlene

Quote Originally Posted by VoX View Post

How does that build compare with the one in my original post? Also is that list just for the separate components or for a custom built PC? And yeah if I did go for the build in my first post I would go for a slightly better GFX card with it.
    "If at first you don't succeed, spend a lot of money to have a professional do it for you."

My Battlelog

Gamer IDs

Quote Originally Posted by Chazlene View Post
    How does that build compare with the one in my original post? Also is that list just for the separate components or for a custom built PC? And yeah if I did go for the build in my first post I would go for a slightly better GFX card with it.
    VoX's one is better and cheaper. They build it for you.

Thread Information