Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: ATK lan

ATK lan

Right I have been thinking about this for a while and have a great amount of experience in setting up other peoples smaller lan's and general staffing.

It comes to thought that the little £80 lans in between the big summer i lans are a tad expensive so pushes away the majority of ATK members and so I wanted to try and gauge the amount of interest for a smaller lan in between for ATK members.

There is two options however, one if there’s not enough interest from ATK the members that do want to go and can attend a midlands lan somewhere, if there is however one I would look for a venue to start a lan maybe twice a year in-between ilans and rough guesstimates would be a £20/25 entry for the event (Fri-Sun) depending how many people we can rake in as well as ATK members.

Please post your general thoughts as it would be a good place to recruit new members as well as a fun lan for current members.
    Last edited by ez64; 11th August 2009 at 11:27 PM.

Gamer IDs

Steam ID: 76561197977918917

Re: ATK lan

Sounds good, i'd probably turn up.

i7 920@3.8 | GTX280 | HAF 932 | 6GB | Corsair 520W
    Hazro 24" | Logitech Illuminated | G500 | Creative 2.0 | Nikon D3100

Gamer IDs

Steam ID: Pierd1989

I made this post a year or so back.

I have a 16 port 100 meg hub and a 8 port 1gb switch here excluding my 4 port router.

Gamer IDs

Steam ID: gkgary

I know (possibly) two people NOT from ATK who'd be interested, maybe even a third, though he's an x-box gamer...

I like the idea of it. 'Cos I love the whole LAN experience, but you're right, the i-series are damn expensive!

I don't mind helping set up/run/help in general! So yeah!

I'm up for it, specially if it's cheaper too! £20-£25 sound much more appealing than £80

EDIT: So, Piers's place it is? XD

I have the network sorted I have a decent 100mbps 24 port netgear switch with a very nice backbone (all ports are 100mbps on full load) and can get more if needed that stuff will help.

Looks like this will be an idea then I will look into it asap for a midlands area to be fair to mitch and general people up north.

The console market of gamers would also be catered for but the channels to advertise to them are very hard.

Gamer IDs

Steam ID: Pierd1989

Just looked through hundreds of threads and im thinking my previous post may have been from C2G or even earlier lol.

I have a 16 port Gigabit switch 2 for heavy high speed file transfers and super-g compatible wifi router with 4 port 10/100 base switch built in for anyone willing to use wifi lol. (it does actually work @ 108 meg if you have super g and does transfer faster than 10/100 lan)

It does most of the time with inherent packet loss and resending it's about the same with slightly higher latency.

Gamer IDs

PSN ID: BrokenMC Steam ID: isphera

I might be interested - it would depend on timing, how many people would go, and how bothered I am.

Gamer IDs

XFIRE ID: chalex4 Steam ID: chalex4

When I started going to the i-series LANs back at i30, I always thought it would be awesome to run our own and even went as far as working out seating plans for local halls.

Obviously my local halls won't be close enough to the majority of us these days, but I think if we can narrow it down to about 3 venues then we can visit them and sort things out from there. Personally, I think anywhere between 20-50 people for a first LAN would be amazing if we advertised it enough. I'm also 95% sure I could sort out some awesome sponsors and prizes for a raffle .

I look forward to getting back from this course and thinking about possible plans!
    Quote Originally Posted by ez64
    chalex has so much control we control ourselves

With sponsors and raffles from the first event 20-50 people can be done otherwise that amount of people is hard to do

and of course the forum/sub domain could be used so lan attendee's accounts can be linked to the main ATK forums.

If needed I can setup a separate website for it though.

Gamer IDs

I'm ok with you making a website, but it definitely needs to be hosted on ATK with a sumdomain like:

http://lan.atkcommunity.com/ or maybe a new domain (on our reseller hosting account) like http://www.atklan.com/

Obviously all accounts would be linked to this site and forum whatever domain it was at. Also, for the first LAN we might need to either have a slightly higher ticket price or ask for donations to invest in hardware for future events, but I guess we need more research to really see what the costs would be.

I know the rough cost's of intial setup which I will front my self as raising the intial price of entry is just setting up for failure anything past £30 for smaller lans and people get twitchy.

Gamer IDs

Yeah true, we just need to remember that posters/signs will need to be made as well as tables rented and I expect we'll need a few microwaves and hot water machines too.

Obviously there's more than that, but I think an ATK lan is well worth doing.

er... we ARE surposed to advertise the falcons, right? wouldn't a lan of 20-50 PC gamers who might be interested in it be a good place to sponser it? Hell, judging from the response last time, they'd get massive interest at a smaller lan...

I'm up for it, sounds like a great idea.
    Take that ya one-eyed, bomb-lobbin', cactus eatin', pot bellied, thug fat jigglin-chicken whoopin' big, back-stabbin lob-armed creepy spastic bloody, blind-eyed pashy little twitchy pickle-headed rocke- hoppin, potato-poppin' phony two-faced stealthy mutant bastard!

Thread Information