Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Dedicated Server Donations - Server goes if we dont get money.

Gamer IDs

XFIRE ID: chalex4 Steam ID: chalex4

Re: Dedicated Server Donations - Server goes if we dont get money.

Unfortunately poker listings is now significantly reducing their deal with us, so unless we can actually pay for this 100% ourselves, I'm afraid we're going to have to cancel it. Anyone else feeling generous?
    Quote Originally Posted by ez64
    chalex has so much control we control ourselves

Quote Originally Posted by Vicious Horizon View Post
    I may be able to convince some Uni friends of mine to donate a little, but obviously before I even think about arranging that I'd need confirmation that I'd be able to manage a TF2 server with full control so we can do what we want with it.
    Chalex read ^
    Take that ya one-eyed, bomb-lobbin', cactus eatin', pot bellied, thug fat jigglin-chicken whoopin' big, back-stabbin lob-armed creepy spastic bloody, blind-eyed pashy little twitchy pickle-headed rocke- hoppin, potato-poppin' phony two-faced stealthy mutant bastard!

Gamer IDs

Ah okay. We can definitely give you the control you're after, but there's no pretty control panel to use. If you're fine with using scripts to start/update servers (I can help you write it, then you just have to run it), then you'll be okay. As Mitch says though, you'll regularly have to login to the server (daily at least) to close the game server down, and update it. That doesn't happen automatically, and is a bit of a pain.

Yep I've run servers in a similar fashion before so that shouldn't be an issue, I'll have a chat with people at Uni at lunch in that case and see what we can do.
    Take that ya one-eyed, bomb-lobbin', cactus eatin', pot bellied, thug fat jigglin-chicken whoopin' big, back-stabbin lob-armed creepy spastic bloody, blind-eyed pashy little twitchy pickle-headed rocke- hoppin, potato-poppin' phony two-faced stealthy mutant bastard!

Gamer IDs

Any idea when you'll have made a decision on this by VH? It basically rests on you at this point!

People are willing but not really making a decision, I'm trying to push people to make a decision soon though. Is there any money left in the ATK fund at all we can use and is there anyone in ATK who wants a CSGO match server etc. run?

Gamer IDs

Steam ID: Pierd1989

FYI my friend that I'm considering going into business with after uni currently rents a server with the same spec as ours.

He is thinking of canceling too but doesn't really want to as the server will become useful next year and is silly cheap for what it is.

He said that if we could pay half of the cost then he would be happy for us to host TS / gameservers on it, and if vicious wanted to give money he could have a login too to set up his own stuff.

As he doesn't know any of you he's weary about giving people full admin rights he doesn't know but we can definatley sort it for vicious at least and if we sort out a second account level with the right permissions more people too.

Basically we can have what we have now for half the price if we share, its in both of our interests.

Gamer IDs

This sounds like a good idea Mitch. Is the spec actually identical?

FYI the ATK fund cannot support spending another penny on the dedicated server unfortunately, so it has to be 100% funded by the community.

Gamer IDs

So wheres TS coming from then?

Yes its the exact same package (which they dont offer anymore).

I was thinking that if we could get the £8 or whatever it is for a 30 slot TS server towards it + vicious / friend donation + the other donation that would cover about half of the cost, then me and andrew cover the rest
    Last edited by Colonel Mitch; 31st January 2013 at 11:47 PM.

Gamer IDs

Can't we host it on the new dedi? Interesting that they don't offer this package any more! Wish to god we could still keep it.

In terms of how much ATK can contribute, that's a difficult question. Funds wise, we're already looking quite stretched. I'll PM you the specifics. It all really depends on what advertising plans we decide on for the next year.

The most important thing to know is that the server ends on 26th. Everything needs to be sorted by then! Don't want to lose everything.

Oh I thought we'd already lost the server? If we still have 20 days that gives me a good deadline for people who are interested to get involved on my end.

Double post for laziness!

I've been told that I'm going to be handed £12.50 from a friend of mine today. Which including my £5 and Mitch's £5 makes £22.50 - If we're halving the price with this guy then that makes us square on the server.

Gamer IDs

Good stuff VH. Actually, Mitch and I had a long chat about this yesterday and are going to try to keep our own dedi. To do this, we hope to move our web hosting to the server and that's an area in which we are now experimenting.

What this means is that ATK can actually put a more substantial sum towards the server. This, plus the £22.50 (or more) monthly from you and friends, will make this highly feesable . We just need to ensure that this money comes in from donators on a regular basis, as ATK will run out of money quickly if not.

Gamer IDs

More will be announced soon.

I can't start work on moving the website till our test backup completes and its gunna take quite a few hours.

Money from my end shouldn't be an issue.

And since I'm getting badgered about it, when should I expect to be able to set stuff up on the/a server?

Thread Information