Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Dedicated Server Donations - Server goes if we dont get money.

Gamer IDs

Steam ID: Pierd1989

Dedicated Server Donations - Server goes if we dont get money.

As the thread says Chalex has spoken to me and is canceling out renewal on the Dedi in February.

Since it doesn't really get used to play games on often its not that bigger deal really but TS is running from there.
    There are a lot of other things we could have done with it but nobody seems to have the time or interest.

It costs about £45 / month for the dedi.

Obviously we can rent TS for less than that (i think about £7 / month for as many slots as we need but im not sure maybe less).

If people want to keep the server and are willing to donate a little (£4-£5 each or something) then it can stay and I'm happy to give people access to the server to do what they want (within reason, can be discussed) for that.

If chalex wants to go on a power crusade and say that unacceptable then so be it.

I'm happy to commit to making a donation of £5 / month. If anyone else is then I'll keep a tally on this thread.

TOTAL £10
    NEEDED £35

Donators:
    Mitch £5
    Vicious £5
    Last edited by Colonel Mitch; 14th January 2013 at 02:34 PM.

Gamer IDs

XFIRE ID: chalex4 Steam ID: chalex4

Re: Dedicated Server Donations - Server goes if we dont get money.

Good idea to create this thread. I wish we could keep it going without having to resort to donations, but that doesn't really seem possible right now.

Don't have a problem with people getting access to the server . We'll obviously have to discuss with you how you plan to use it first though.
    Quote Originally Posted by ez64
    chalex has so much control we control ourselves

If I can get access to the server to run some TF2 and CSS etc. on occasionally I'll donate a little (can't much student yada yada) but if I can do that you can count me in.
    Take that ya one-eyed, bomb-lobbin', cactus eatin', pot bellied, thug fat jigglin-chicken whoopin' big, back-stabbin lob-armed creepy spastic bloody, blind-eyed pashy little twitchy pickle-headed rocke- hoppin, potato-poppin' phony two-faced stealthy mutant bastard!

If someone active gets the power to completely change and set it up to how we want it then ill give a fiver

edit: i also want a different colour name and ability to change whats below my name

Gamer IDs

PSN ID: PurgetheToast Steam ID: purgethetoast

ill donate if people are going to actually start using it, im sure the hidden server gets used alot but just not by us , is it by paypal?

Gamer IDs

Can people post how much they are willing to donate (doesn't commit you to this on a monthly basis).

@Marshy yes people can be given power to do stuff, but unless you know how to set shit up then have fun with that ^^. Also the forum colours have nothing to do with the server, can probably change your colour but not give you access to change it yourself.

Gamer IDs

If you donate, I'll make sure everyone gets added as subscribers. That'll mean you get a blue name and editable title .

I'd put forward £5 a month while I can still afford it.
    Take that ya one-eyed, bomb-lobbin', cactus eatin', pot bellied, thug fat jigglin-chicken whoopin' big, back-stabbin lob-armed creepy spastic bloody, blind-eyed pashy little twitchy pickle-headed rocke- hoppin, potato-poppin' phony two-faced stealthy mutant bastard!

Gamer IDs

FYI for the people "on the fence" so to speak in regards to "ill pay if we will use it".

It isn't hard or even particularly time consuming to even set up various servers etc, its just the maintenance that is an issue really.

For example the CS:GO servers get an update almost ever day, meaning they need to be shutdown and updated.

This in total probably doesn't take more than half an hour, but actually having the drive to make time and do that EVERY DAY around an already busy life is the issue.

I tend to make huge bursts of contribution, like setting up a ton of servers some in virtual machines and setting up the network and ports etc all in one go, usually in a full evening with no breaks.

If more people were up for helping with this stuff it would actually improve the quality of our game servers. It doesn't take any real skill to administer them so we could look into writing a basic procedure for anyone to use to make changes etc.

Ill chip in for the teamspeak server but I have never seen anyone use any of the others so seems a waste.

Would rather spend the money getting ATK flags/ league of Drauen flags made for the i48 finals.

Quote Originally Posted by drauen View Post
    Would rather spend the money getting ATK flags/ league of Drauen flags made for the i48 finals.

getting ATK flags/ league of Drauen flags

league of Drauen flags

league of Drauen

Can we not host some servers for to raise some moneys ???

Gamer IDs

Quote Originally Posted by Target View Post
    Can we not host some servers for to raise some moneys ???
    Chalex said no (and we dont have anyone with time to actually manage doing this, or a control panel or anything for users)
    Last edited by Colonel Mitch; 17th January 2013 at 01:38 AM.

Gamer IDs

As Mitch says, my answer would have been yes if it'd be possible to actually manage the hosted servers properly. Unfortunately, noone has the time and we can't even manage our own servers! We also don't have the funds to invest in solutions that would do this all for us.

I may be able to convince some Uni friends of mine to donate a little, but obviously before I even think about arranging that I'd need confirmation that I'd be able to manage a TF2 server with full control so we can do what we want with it.

Thread Information