Thread: Low Virtual Memory/BF2 Lag

Low Virtual Memory/BF2 Lag

I'm constantly getting a message saying that my virtual memory is low, and I tend to get alot of lag on BF2.

I've had a look round for ways to cure this and I've found this cure, can someone tell em if this will actually work, or if it will just screw the hell out of my system.

I run BF2 at 1280x1024 with everything on high settings except for lighting which is at medium, and dynamic shadows off. I run a pretty constant 45-60 fps, and have yet to experience any major lag or chop. The only thing I can think of that I could possibly be doing differently from others, is the fact that I have my pagefile on another HDD. For those of you who don't know how to move your page file, it can be done like so; Right-click my computer and go to "properties", then go to "advanced">>>"performance">>>"advanced" and then click "change" down at the bottom. You will see a list of all your locally connected HDDs, select your non-windows drive, choose custum size, and give it a min and a max setting, then click "set". Now select your windows drive, and choose "no paging file" and hit "set".
    FYI I have 2x180GB HDDs but a measley 512MB RAM (soon to be upgraded.)
    Last edited by VoX; 23rd March 2008 at 06:34 PM.

Re: Low Virtual Memory/BF2 Lag

Try that actually but 512MB of ram is bare minimum for BF2 anyway... windows usually automatically changes your virtual memory though.

It keeps saying that it is rasing it but I see no difference.

I have just upped it myself but still on the WINDOWS drive, if that doesn't make a difference I'll use my other drive instead.
    Last edited by VoX; 23rd March 2008 at 06:51 PM.

Have you tried putting the graphics settings down to low... also are you sure it is video lag rather than normal lag... I have noticed BF2 does lag normally after some of the crappy patches on my old PC.

Im running it with everything at it's lowest with resolution at 800*600 as it doesn't support the widescreen resolution my monitor uses.

EDIT: Just upped it to allow 2.5GB on each HDD and I'm seeing a difference already, I'm not even in a game.
    Last edited by VoX; 23rd March 2008 at 06:58 PM.

Thread Information