Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: PC Spec - Comments

Gamer IDs

Steam ID: gkgary

PC Spec - Comments

Here's one I 'made' this morning, just wanted to see what you lot had to say about it.

It is mainly based on Chalex's recommendations, with a few additions/substitutions.

As for monitor, I'm not sure what to do. I like running duals, but I could also dual with a 24" for the main, and a 17" for secondary for media player/msn etc. but that may involve a little moving my room about... Not a problem...

What you guys think?

Gary.
    Last edited by Paper Tiger; 9th April 2008 at 11:09 AM.

Gamer IDs

XFIRE ID: chalex4 Steam ID: chalex4

Re: PC Spec - Comments

You are definitely going to need more hard drive space than just one 74GB raptor, so I would add a 500GB Samsung to the mix, like this one.

Spending £70 on only 2GB of 6400 memory is a complete waste. If you want to spend around £70 on RAM, then this won't let you down. Or, if you don't mind going up to £80, this RAM will be even better and help you overclock. That is the RAM that I have .

PSU looks fine, especially because it is modular. If you are buying the TR Ultra Extreme then you don't need to get the retail CPU which comes with the stock Intel HSF. Get the OEM version instead which is usually cheaper.

By pure coincidence, I have that headset. The version I have however isn't USB and 4 high quality jacks that go straight into my Creative X-Fi Extreme Gamer - Fatality soundcard. USB made little sense in my opinion.

In regards to monitors, I would recommend that you at least get a large monitor for main use such as gaming, since that doesn't work so well on dual monitors. Then, add in another monitor for other things, like MSN as you said. Within a month, I will be ordering a new 24" monitor and I will be using my old 19" 4:3 next to it for other things. Luckily, a 24" widescreen and 19" 4:3 are exactly the same height!

Other than the above, looks like a nice rig .

EDIT: added details about monitors.
    Quote Originally Posted by ez64
    chalex has so much control we control ourselves

You could probably save money, and get the headset later...

Gamer IDs

Sorry, forgot to mention, I have 2x750GB hard drives already.

Changed to the second RAM you suggested and the OEM CPU.

I could do, but I need a headset.. Oh... and it has 4 jacks, as well as USB I think.
    Last edited by Paper Tiger; 9th April 2008 at 11:35 AM.

Gamer IDs

I'm tempted to do so with the monitors.... Most of you suggested a 24"...

I'll have a look, see what I can find/like.

You got the best air cooler so no worrys there,

but get the 8800gts G92 512mb its cheaper/newer and out performs it in 3dmark and games without silly 16x aa/af.

Gamer IDs

Have they got it on Overclockers? I had a look for the G92, but couldn't find it...
    Probably me being useless, lol.

All of the 512mb models here are G92 the same core for the 9 series.

and the 8800gts is the 9800gtx only difference is the 9800 is exactly the same but OC'd from the factory a little higher.

plus 9 series = a few hundred extra quid plonked on the price..

Gamer IDs

If you are gaming at larger resolutions, you will be better off with the 8800GTX which is why I didn't say it was a bad choice. Also, if you like AA at those high resolutions, you will definitely need an 8800GTX rather than an 8800GTS G92. However, at lower resolutions in games like Crysis and benchmarks like 3DMark 06, the GTS G92 outperforms the GTX.

When I bought my 8800GTS G92, it was way cheaper than the cheapest GTX (£100 at least), so it was a wise choice. Whereas now, they are very similar prices. It's your decision which you choose, they are both fantastic cards.

Or, go ATI instead..... they have less driver issues than nVidia, plus you can get open source drivers for ATI... and they are cheaper.

Gamer IDs

The ATI Radeon HD 3870 X2 is a great card, but remember with Crossfire that you will not be able to use dual monitors whilst gaming. You can use 2 monitors when not gaming, but as soon as you start up a game, the card switches off one of the monitors and uses both of the GPUs for gaming. The same is true of SLi, but is does not handle it as well.

Gamer IDs

Ahh... That kinda sucks, but I suppose it will maxamize the games performance..

Gamer IDs

Steam ID: 76561197977918917

Get a 8800GTX, but get this instead. It comes overclocked, is cheaper, and you get a free copy of company of heroes which you can play with me and Trigger! Who needs a 10 year warranty anyway? :P.

Also, get this RAM and buy a nie sound card with the money saved.

EDIT: Also Chalex, crossfire handles up to 4 monitors, it is SLI that can't even handle dual.
    EDIT2: After reading all your post (I should really do that before replying), i'm not sure. MY SOURCE.
    Last edited by Calneon; 9th April 2008 at 04:01 PM.

i7 920@3.8 | GTX280 | HAF 932 | 6GB | Corsair 520W
    Hazro 24" | Logitech Illuminated | G500 | Creative 2.0 | Nikon D3100

Gamer IDs

After a quick google, here is a quote that backs up what I said:

The Radeon HD 3870 X2 is also more practical for those running dual monitors. If you do use a dual monitor setup with the Radeon HD 3870 X2, it will turn the second screen off when gaming as it enables Crossfire mode. The GeForce 9800 GX2 on the other hand will only use one GPU when gaming if you are using a dual monitor configuration. This scenario requires the user to manually disable the second monitor so that both GPU’s can be used for gaming. Although this is something that can be corrected in future driver updates, it is a problem for now at least. - LINK

Thread Information