I just read an interesting article from the guys over ArenaNet about Guild Wars 2!

He starts with the "typical" experience:
You know that point in other MMOs when, after playing for a few hours, you look down at your experience bar and wonder, “WTF? Has my experience bar even moved at all?” Nobody enjoys feeling like they haven’t made any progress even though they’ve been playing their character all day. We hate it as much as you do; it drives us insane!
Remind you of anything?

Our goal with Guild Wars 2 is to flatten out the leveling curve, keeping progression simple and straightforward. We expect everyone to make a reasonable amount of progression with each play session. It shouldn’t take days of playing before you feel like you have made any progress, and you definitely shouldn’t have to kill a bunch of creatures or do a bunch of repetitive tasks just to see what’s over that next hill.
So what are they doing? Setting the level cap for the game at 80, but with SHORT gaps between the levels. Instead of taking longer and longer to reach each level, it should take about the same time to go through each level. Like so:

In my opinion this sounds like the perfect MMO . This was the one reason why I stopped WoW after the trial was over.